Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2011, 11:23 AM

1 posts, read 7,698 times

Advertisements

We have about 1 month to move to Sugar land from Northern Virginia in time for schools to open and I am very confused by the information we are getting. Clements holds first position in High Schools but is "too competitive". We loved the RiverStone area and the high efficiency newer homes but Elkins HS did not rate as high. I also have one kin in middle school but from what I gather Fort Settlement and First Colony are both great. I have straight A students but the "competitive" is a big ??. Any feedbacks? Again, I am in a time crunch and though we will rent for the first yr I donot want to have to move the kids again once we are there - so we want to rent in the same school zone that we will be buying in.
Thanks for any light you can shed on this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2011, 02:59 PM

344 posts, read 1,250,703 times
Sartartia MS & Austin HS are good options

Old 07-20-2011, 05:38 PM

9,598 posts, read 16,563,825 times
Clements, Austin and Travis are all pretty much the same school. Kempner is just as good of a school. The income disparity is a little more diverse as you will have the 150k+ families mixed in with 45k family of 5 or 6 families also.

For these schools, your children must be in Gifted and Talented or AP programs. Those that aren't tend to get left behind.

Old 07-21-2011, 09:30 AM

632 posts, read 1,180,060 times
If you want you're kids to enroll in a good school in Sugar Land that is public, then Austin and Clements HS are the way to go. Don't be fooled by statistics because, for example, Kempner was flooded with kids who live in Telfair so that skews the data. If you were to take those kids out, Kempner would be a dud school.

Not trying to offend anyone but that's the honest truth. There is a reason why so many kids from Austin and Clements go on to UT Austin, M.I.T., etc etc

On a side note, if you want your kids to be able to have a chance at Top 10% (8% for UT Austin), then Travis or Kempner is not a bad option as it is easier to compete there.

Old 07-21-2011, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRage View Post
If you want you're kids to enroll in a good school in Sugar Land that is public, then Austin and Clements HS are the way to go. Don't be fooled by statistics because, for example, Kempner was flooded with kids who live in Telfair so that skews the data. If you were to take those kids out, Kempner would be a dud school.

Not trying to offend anyone but that's the honest truth. There is a reason why so many kids from Austin and Clements go on to UT Austin, M.I.T., etc etc

On a side note, if you want your kids to be able to have a chance at Top 10% (8% for UT Austin), then Travis or Kempner is not a bad option as it is easier to compete there.
OP, you can listen to this classist or a guy that's on his way to getting his doctorate in education.

The choice is yours.

Not trying to offend anyone, but that's the honest truth.

Old 07-21-2011, 08:14 PM

867 posts, read 2,977,109 times
As a native of Sugar Land and someone graduated from Clements in 2002, I strongly agree with RedRage in spite of hints of classism in his posts.

Kempner among Sugar Land schools is among the lowest ranking as Mission Bend isn't exactly a nice area in the scheme of Sugar Land neighborhoods. I recall a summer school class (Speech) I took at Clements in 1998 (they rotate the summer school campuses around) that was taught by a teacher from Kempner who agreed that the surrounding the school was not the best relatively-speaking.

I believe at one point Kempner did have an issue with teen pregnancy, but then again, Clements HS (at least when I was there) had an open secret in regards to its rampant drug culture.

At CHS, I remember during my senior year, kids would always go "out back" behind the Avalon construction site (it was still being built then) and do their business. (smoke)

Last edited by Alphalogica; 07-21-2011 at 08:34 PM.. Reason: Some clarification work.

Old 07-21-2011, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alphalogica View Post
As a native of Sugar Land and someone graduated from Clements in 2002, I strongly agree with RedRage in spite of hints of classism in his posts.

Kempner among Sugar Land schools is among the lowest ranking as Mission Bend isn't exactly a nice area in the scheme of Sugar Land neighborhoods. I recall a summer school class (Speech) I took at Clements in 1998 (they rotate the summer school campuses around) that was taught by a teacher from Kempner who agreed that the surrounding the school was not the best relatively-speaking.
Misson Bend does not attend Kempner. They attend Bush.

But hey, thanks for your very honest opinion, Alphalogica. Not that I would expect any less. I just thought that was a rather bold statement from RedRage, along with a rather odd defense of RedRage from another member.

Old 07-21-2011, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crbcrbrgv View Post
Misson Bend does not attend Kempner. They attend Bush.
I stand corrected. Bush just opened during the tail end of my days as an FBISD'er so I still have to get that in my mind. Hell, Hightower opened my freshman year and we were just getting used to that place.

Sorry that my information about zoning might be a tad obsolete.

Old 07-21-2011, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alphalogica View Post
I stand corrected. Bush just opened during the tail end of my days as an FBISD'er so I still have to get that in my mind. Hell, Hightower opened my freshman year and we were just getting used to that place.
I thought about that too. Kempner did serve Mission bend when you graduated.

Regardless, you are correct when you say the not so nice areas go to Kempner. Towne West attends Kempner. To me, that's a slightly run down blue collar neighborhood. To others, I suppose Covington Place is a 3rd world ghetto.

I guess it's all in your perception.

Old 07-21-2011, 08:27 PM

Right.

This is neither here nor there and not directed to you crbcrbrgv or anyone here, but I think these school comparison threads deserve more input from people who actually went to these (FBISD) schools and not people who read rankings from the Chronicle.

I love it when people who read the Chronicle rankings talk about Clements as if it's the Shangri-La of teen learning. Yes, it's exemplary. Yes, it has more Chinese kids than Taipei. Yes, it produces future Dr. Sanjay Guptas.

But it still has its problems and issues like every other American high school.

Last edited by Alphalogica; 07-21-2011 at 08:40 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston