Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Where do you live?
Central 6 14.29%
North 2 4.76%
Northwest 4 9.52%
Northeast 3 7.14%
East 1 2.38%
Southeast 6 14.29%
South 0 0%
Southwest 12 28.57%
West 8 19.05%
Voters: 42. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2011, 10:15 AM

18,495 posts, read 32,949,941 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBoy205 View Post
I'm surprised no one lives in the South as of yet. I thought Pearland was a booming area.
Booming is the key word, not boomed. It is the last area of Houston to be settled (other than the lower Brazoria County settlements which were part of the early colonial settlements of Texas).

In the east you will find the oldest settlements (I can't call them burbs of Houston, some of them are older than Houston). The North came next but slowed down. The West was the first to really boom and consume all of the landscape, then finally the south. The North has picked back up, and now has over 1m people.

It is crazy that north Houston only had a couple tens of thousands in the 70's and now has 1,370,930 people.

http://www.north-houston.com/develop...nts/Table1.pdf

while SW Houston is packed with people, south of the beltway is still rather sparse outside of the SW areas (Missouri City, Etc)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2011, 10:36 AM

12,735 posts, read 21,779,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
Booming is the key word, not boomed. It is the last area of Houston to be settled (other than the lower Brazoria County settlements which were part of the early colonial settlements of Texas).

In the east you will find the oldest settlements (I can't call them burbs of Houston, some of them are older than Houston). The North came next but slowed down. The West was the first to really boom and consume all of the landscape, then finally the south. The North has picked back up, and now has over 1m people.

It is crazy that north Houston only had a couple tens of thousands in the 70's and now has 1,370,930 people.

http://www.north-houston.com/develop...nts/Table1.pdf

while SW Houston is packed with people, south of the beltway is still rather sparse outside of the SW areas (Missouri City, Etc)
I can tell from Goggle Maps. LOL!

Old 07-21-2011, 10:56 AM

124 posts, read 320,408 times
SW, Willowbend - Meyer Park- Westbury area - Whatever you want to call the South Post Oak General Region.

Old 07-21-2011, 11:30 AM

8,376 posts, read 30,702,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBoy205 View Post
I can tell from Goggle Maps. LOL!
Several square miles of that empty land = cow pastures on top of oil fields and pipelines on the SE side outside of the beltway. Those areas may never be developed.

Old 07-21-2011, 11:37 AM

133 posts, read 268,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tstone View Post
Several square miles of that empty land = cow pastures on top of oil fields and pipelines on the SE side outside of the beltway. Those areas may never be developed.
That land is owned by oil companies and they keep cows on it just to get the tax break. That land won't be developed till those tax exemptions are ended. But that would kill the cattle industry so it probably won't happen. Unless they just did it in Harris country. Still probably not gonna happen.

Old 07-21-2011, 01:08 PM

90 posts, read 236,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by houston-nomad View Post
I found an awesome coffee shop in Meyerland today: Fioza. Near Belden's. It was seriously the best cup of coffee I've had in memory. High quality stuff. Nice food too. Check it out!
Yes! I have been there. Good stuff! It's just north of me off Chimney rock I believe. I love how they make those pretty creme designs on the froth. I forgot about that place. Thank you for the reminder. Guess we are good on the coffee shop front. Now we need a good ole fashion European or Irish sports pub. I used to love to stop in for a coffee every morning on paseo de extremadura in Madrid. There was a small bar on the corner that was just fantastic. Ahh the memories! Funny how the bars there served coffee in the morning and spirits in the afternoon/evening.

Old 07-21-2011, 01:28 PM

635 posts, read 1,704,642 times
I live in Candlelight Oaks, close to Oak Forest

Old 07-21-2011, 03:06 PM

17,029 posts, read 30,925,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcash View Post
Yes! I have been there. Good stuff! It's just north of me off Chimney rock I believe. I love how they make those pretty creme designs on the froth. I forgot about that place. Thank you for the reminder. Guess we are good on the coffee shop front. Now we need a good ole fashion European or Irish sports pub. I used to love to stop in for a coffee every morning on paseo de extremadura in Madrid. There was a small bar on the corner that was just fantastic. Ahh the memories! Funny how the bars there served coffee in the morning and spirits in the afternoon/evening.
That would be cool. I used to get a coffee on weekend mornings and stop by a nearby pub for a couple shots of 'adult flavoring'.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston