Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2011, 11:40 AM

10,447 posts, read 49,658,815 times

Advertisements

Ohhhhh my!! Do I detect a distrust for your politicians? Then tell me why you vote them in. Perhaps I should instead ask why do you bother voting. You know deep down in your heart your vote is meaningless.

I could care less about a billion dollar "for profit" hospital getting their share of illegal immoral money that was extorted from us law abiding citizens who are just trying to live our lives peacefully without interruption from the fat cat Bureaucrats who wear badges stained with jelly donuts. That is our money taken from us without our permission and given to criminals who rule with an iron fist from their thrones at city hall. Pizz on them all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2011, 12:55 PM

448 posts, read 702,535 times
Not even close to an explanation. At the end of each year, (going back to 2006 for Houston) the city has to send half of the camera profits to the state. The state is supposed to distribute the funds to trauma hospitals to cover the expenses for all of those treated without insurance. The state is holding onto the money not Houston. The state doesn't give 2 shakes of a dead cat how much Houston is on the hook for. Besides that money can't be used to pay to break the contract. The fact is the state has already spent that money. It won't ever go to where it is supposed to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostInHouston View Post
Could it be that the money is sitting around due to the ongoing lawsuits surrounding the vote to turn the cameras off? Aren't there heavy fines the city would have to pay to the service provider for breach of contract if the cameras had remained off? So isn't it possible this is actually an incredibly fiscally smart decision to not spend the money from the cameras until all of the court stuff is cleared up, in case they have to use it to pay the company off for breach of contract?

Honestly, I have no idea, I'm just throwing it out there as a plausible explanation.

Old 07-21-2011, 02:05 PM

687 posts, read 2,128,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thila View Post
Reminds me of how lottery money was supposed to go towards the education fund.
If the money goes into the education fund to educate kids, the kids might get better at math, and realize the statistical improbability of winning the lottery, and the lottery would collapse

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
I could care less about a billion dollar "for profit" hospital getting their share of illegal immoral money that was extorted from us law abiding citizens who are just trying to live our lives peacefully without interruption from the fat cat Bureaucrats who wear badges stained with jelly donuts.
The hospitals with the trauma centers are anything but fat cats, and they're definitely not for profit. Memorial Hermann in medical center and Ben Taub could really use those funds. For a city of almost 5 million people, having only 2 Level 1 trauma centers is ridiculously inadequate, which is why they are on drive-by status so often. Just pray that you don't need their services, esp when they go on drive-by. It affects all of us.

I didn't realize that bureaucrats wear jelly-stained badges. Will have to pay more attention next time!

Old 07-28-2011, 07:53 AM

9 posts, read 22,891 times
The mayor of Houston, or any other city has no control over what the state does. The main question should be why the money isn't being used as mandated BY LAW. That money is mandated to be sent to the Trauma centers by law. It isn't just a "promise" like they did made with the lotto money. The Texas Transportation Code Chapter 707 has some interesting things in it. One of those things is where the states half of Red Light Camera money goes. It isn't just a regular budget item for the state.

Old 07-28-2011, 09:46 AM

988 posts, read 1,203,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
Ohhhhh my!! Do I detect a distrust for your politicians? Then tell me why you vote them in. Perhaps I should instead ask why do you bother voting. You know deep down in your heart your vote is meaningless.

I could care less about a billion dollar "for profit" hospital getting their share of illegal immoral money that was extorted from us law abiding citizens who are just trying to live our lives peacefully without interruption from the fat cat Bureaucrats who wear badges stained with jelly donuts. That is our money taken from us without our permission and given to criminals who rule with an iron fist from their thrones at city hall. Pizz on them all.
You'd get my vote for city council.

Old 07-28-2011, 09:56 AM

988 posts, read 1,203,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karuna95 View Post
If the money goes into the education fund to educate kids, the kids might get better at math, and realize the statistical improbability of winning the lottery, and the lottery would collapse
BWAHAHAHA!

Quote:
Memorial Hermann in medical center and Ben Taub could really use those funds. For a city of almost 5 million people, having only 2 Level 1 trauma centers is ridiculously inadequate, which is why they are on drive-by status so often.
I guess us citizens need to get together and find a way to fund more level 1 trauma centers. Preferably one that doesn't involve bilking law abiding citizens out of money in a slimy, unconstitutional manner.

Bizarre how that $0.19/$100 of valuation hospital property tax for Harris County doesn't stretch that far.

Old 07-28-2011, 05:52 PM

8,652 posts, read 17,241,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14Bricks View Post
And the scam continues. Thank you mayor Parker.
The red light cameras belong to ex mayor bill white, the commie...the new drainage fee belongs to her...Don't you just love hidden liberal taxes?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston