Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2013, 04:03 PM

23,971 posts, read 15,075,178 times

Advertisements

The new one at Spring Cypress at Kuykendahl.

Was in and out in 35 minutes last Tuesday Went around 10AM after the morning rush had thinned out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2013, 04:56 PM

4,246 posts, read 12,024,391 times

Old 03-10-2013, 08:39 PM
cla

898 posts, read 3,307,813 times
Had a horrible experience getting my daughter's learner's permit a few years ago - had to go twice because after waiting in line for several hours and finally getting up front around 6pm, found out that the testing was over at 4 - there was no pre-screening as to purpose - just one long line, first-come-first-served. Recently had a much more pleasant experience at the new annex in Richmond - logged in at a computer - got an estimated wait time and was able to sit down and pass time on my tablet while I watched my name progress up the line on a TV screen. Waited maybe 20 minutes.

Neighbor took her daughter to Beaumont for a driving test and was able to get her in right away - no appt necessary.

Old 03-11-2013, 08:09 AM

73 posts, read 225,685 times
Default quirky clerks

Make sure and show up with the proper ID. Look online to see what documents are accepted. So many people waited in line only to find out they didn't have the proper ID. An unexpired passport is gold.[/quote]

Passport.... it all depends, though, on who helps you. My husband showed up with his passport (to get a new TX license) and it lists his birthplace as Russia. The clerk wouldn't take it--saying he had to come back with his social security card and naturalization papers... as, get this, "a passport is not proof of citizenship."

He's usually one who doesn't suffer fools, but I think he must have had an off day and was just so flabbergasted at the "a passport is not proof of citizenship" that he left and came back.

Old 03-11-2013, 10:25 AM

332 posts, read 1,323,630 times
I had an EXCELLENT experience at the new Rosenberg DPS "megacenter" when I went there last Friday for my license renewal. You are able to "get in line online" on their website -- you enter your mobile number and their system sends back a text message with your estimated wait time.

I entered the queue on-line at about 8:00AM, got a message shortly thereafter that my wait time was 15 minutes. I got another message updating me about 5 minutes that my wait time was now 10 minutes away. Since I wouldn't arrive in time, I was able to request a delay by replying to their text message; I got a reply right after that I had move to the back of their on-line queue with a new wait time of 17 minutes. I arrived in their parking lot right around 8:30 just as I got the last text message that I was now at the front of the line and should report to a specific agent's desk. I walked right in, went to her desk and was done in mere minutes. AWESOME! And the DPS employee was very courteous on top of it all!

There there is one other "megacenter" now open in the Houston area (Spring). I highly recommend going to one of these. Check it out here:

Driver License - Get In Line Online...Before You Go

Old 03-11-2013, 02:05 PM

1,728 posts, read 3,442,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanTex View Post
I had an EXCELLENT experience at the new Rosenberg DPS "megacenter" when I went there last Friday for my license renewal. You are able to "get in line online" on their website -- you enter your mobile number and their system sends back a text message with your estimated wait time.

I entered the queue on-line at about 8:00AM, got a message shortly thereafter that my wait time was 15 minutes. I got another message updating me about 5 minutes that my wait time was now 10 minutes away. Since I wouldn't arrive in time, I was able to request a delay by replying to their text message; I got a reply right after that I had move to the back of their on-line queue with a new wait time of 17 minutes. I arrived in their parking lot right around 8:30 just as I got the last text message that I was now at the front of the line and should report to a specific agent's desk. I walked right in, went to her desk and was done in mere minutes. AWESOME! And the DPS employee was very courteous on top of it all!

There there is one other "megacenter" now open in the Houston area (Spring). I highly recommend going to one of these. Check it out here:

Driver License - Get In Line Online...Before You Go
Well, I can vouch for this. I was expecting at least a 4 hour wait with people lined up around the building before they opened like I remember from years ago (I have not been in a driver license office in at least 9 years). I was surprised the whole experience took me 20 minutes. Wow! it looks like they improved (i.e. leaned out) their process to make it more efficient.

Old 03-11-2013, 05:50 PM

2,945 posts, read 4,990,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crone View Post
The new one at Spring Cypress at Kuykendahl.

Was in and out in 35 minutes last Tuesday Went around 10AM after the morning rush had thinned out.

*shudders* it's a megacenter. This is Houston. We don't do mega places well. Look at Walmart. It's a damn mega store yet it's always hell to check out.

It's still new so give it time.

Renew online. I'm good until 2019.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston