Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2011, 08:11 AM

410 posts, read 1,495,301 times

Advertisements

I travel I 10 to downtown from Hwy 6 all the time and I don't think it's bad. In the morning there's going to be traffic no matter what freeway you get on. I 10 runs okay minus a little stop and go near the beltway and close to 45. It would be much shorter if I could hop on 290 but forget about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2011, 08:15 AM

1,075 posts, read 2,916,767 times
The other fun thing about 290---

When they expanded the Katy freeway, there was a lot of room on each side, plus the old Katy railroad bed. Some businesses were affected (remember the Fiesta?) but mostly they didn't have to tear a LOT of stuff down.

Where are they going to expand 290?

They will likely have to use the LBJ/Central Expressway model: bury the freeway with feeder roads as cantilevers on top. That's expensive.

Best alternative is to get HCTRA to ramp up construction on the proposed Hempstead Tollway---take old Hempstead Rd. and do the same thing to it they did to Hardy and Westpark. HCTRA goes much faster than TXDOT.

That would at least provide an alternate/safety valve for 290 if they do find the funds to reconstruct it.

And for those who weren't here/don't remember, you should have seen the ORIGINAL intersection of 610/290 before they rebuilt it in the 80's. Believe me, the current incarnation is actually BETTER.

I drive past 290 every day on the Beltway, and just actively am glad I chose to live where I do instead of anywhere close to that beast.

Old 07-23-2011, 09:37 AM

Location: Where nothing ever grows. No rain or rivers flow, Texas
1,085 posts, read 1,581,344 times
If theres only one thing I learned on my first day in the Houston area, its to stay away from 290. It's the traffic, the redneck country and my sisters' families. I'll take the ghettos anyday

Old 07-23-2011, 10:52 AM

15,982 posts, read 35,215,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
I still cringe when some poster comes on here telling us they want to move up the 290 corridor and asking about the commute inbound. Imagine jumping off a 30' building every day? Same experience.

290 is the abortion of Texas. Of course if they did not install that illegal (oops your govt can do as they please) HOV lane which serves so few, that extra area could have been used to create an extra lane plus a shoulder in each direction. Instead it only serves very few yet we all had to pay for it and can't use it. Isn't that some type of discrimination? Hmmmmmm..................
Yeah my mom is planning on moving to Houston and was looking into the Cypress area. I told her if you move up there; don't expect me to come and see her lol

Old 07-23-2011, 12:31 PM

9,221 posts, read 15,955,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malvie View Post

When they expanded the Katy freeway, there was a lot of room on each side, plus the old Katy railroad bed. Some businesses were affected (remember the Fiesta?) but mostly they didn't have to tear a LOT of stuff down.

Where are they going to expand 290?

They will likely have to use the LBJ/Central Expressway model: bury the freeway with feeder roads as cantilevers on top. That's expensive.

Best alternative is to get HCTRA to ramp up construction on the proposed Hempstead Tollway---take old Hempstead Rd. and do the same thing to it they did to Hardy and Westpark. HCTRA goes much faster than TXDOT.

That would at least provide an alternate/safety valve for 290 if they do find the funds to reconstruct it.

And for those who weren't here/don't remember, you should have seen the ORIGINAL intersection of 610/290 before they rebuilt it in the 80's. Believe me, the current incarnation is actually BETTER.

I drive past 290 every day on the Beltway, and just actively am glad I chose to live where I do instead of anywhere close to that beast.
They aren't doing that. Just going to tear down a lot of businesses.

Home

Old 07-23-2011, 12:57 PM

6,870 posts, read 14,857,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimBomb View Post
If theres only one thing I learned on my first day in the Houston area, its to stay away from 290. It's the traffic, the redneck country and my sisters' families. I'll take the ghettos anyday
How is it Redneck Country? I grew up in Cypress and it's just like any other suburb.

Old 07-23-2011, 01:05 PM
JL

8,522 posts, read 14,537,016 times
The more people move to Houston, the worse traffic will be...just part of the growing pains. When accidents do happen, it just compounds it. There was an accident on 59s going towards Rosenberg just past Sugarland earlier in the week and traffic was awful.

Old 07-23-2011, 03:01 PM

171 posts, read 414,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malvie View Post

I guess you don't remember it being one of the largest ROW acquisitions in history. Not to mention that whole neighborhood street they had to tear down in Spring Branch. I believe it was called Buckingham or something.

One really sad thing about 290 is that it's really not even that old. Some of it was actually converted to a freeway rather recently on the outskirts of Cypress. I just wonder who's idea the design was. The same thing happened on the original Katy Freeway; the guy in charge of design for the outer part (outside of 610) decided a minimal right-of-way and minimum number of lanes would serve Houston better because who would ever expect anything to pop up outside of 610. On the other hand, another person was in charge of the design inside 610. That freeway is still there today and is still pretty nice in terms of design and especially considering that it was built in the early 60's.

Old 07-23-2011, 03:15 PM

3,085 posts, read 5,239,673 times
Between 610 and the beltway is the worst. Narrow lanes, very narrow/virtually non-existent shoulders, lots of commercial traffic, aggressive motorists weaving in and out of traffic at 75-80 mph. When something does go wrong, things go south quickly.

Old 07-23-2011, 05:39 PM

9,221 posts, read 15,955,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRBoyd91 View Post
I guess you don't remember it being one of the largest ROW acquisitions in history. Not to mention that whole neighborhood street they had to tear down in Spring Branch. I believe it was called Buckingham or something.

One really sad thing about 290 is that it's really not even that old. Some of it was actually converted to a freeway rather recently on the outskirts of Cypress. I just wonder who's idea the design was. The same thing happened on the original Katy Freeway; the guy in charge of design for the outer part (outside of 610) decided a minimal right-of-way and minimum number of lanes would serve Houston better because who would ever expect anything to pop up outside of 610. On the other hand, another person was in charge of the design inside 610. That freeway is still there today and is still pretty nice in terms of design and especially considering that it was built in the early 60's.
290 west of Fry isn't bad. But I mean, there is pretty much nothing left west of Fry (besides the Outlet Mall, Fairfield, and Bucees).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston