Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-23-2011, 08:23 AM

206 posts, read 483,553 times

Advertisements

Any areas better or worse than others in Silverlake? Any areas with issues such as flooding, traffic, bad schools, crime, etc? What are the nicer affordable areas of Silverlake, say between 175-225K?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2011, 11:58 AM

17,183 posts, read 22,898,350 times
Bad schools - nope! The Silverlake Schools are Pearland ISD schools and the ones over here are excellent. The district was named an exemplary district by the state with 15 exemplary schools. We have been pleased with my grandchildren's elementary school - Massey Ranch. It is the only IB school in the system. There is a new gifted school opening this year as well.

Pearland ISD

Traffic - bad on 518 and 288 (during rush hour). You can avoid 518 if you learn the back roads. This is especially true now that the construction on Magnolia road is done so that it is open all the way from the west side of Pearland to 288. Also the Bridge on Bailey road opened so their is a direct route on Bailey as well. These should relieve some of the congestion on 518.

Flooding - nope in general. We are not in a flood plain as designated by the feds. Obviously, there is a risk of flooding during hurricanes. Flood insurance is still recommended though. Parts of Pearland are on flood plains near certain streams.

http://www.cityofpearland.com/index.asp?Type=B_BASIC&SEC={DB31C967-BB0E-411B-BAFC-451A45F00590}

Quote:
In May of 2005, the City of Pearland was accepted into the National Flood Insurance Program’s Community Rating System (CRS) as a Class 8 community. Under the CRS, citizens receive flood insurance premium discounts of up to 10% because Pearland is working to reduce flood risk and meet the goals of the CRS: reduce flood losses; facilitate accurate flood insurance rating; and promote the awareness of flood insurance. In support of these goals, we have developed the following information about flood risks and flood insurance in the City.
Quote:
Flood maps and property maps show that properties within the City are located in the floodplain of Clear Creek, Cowart Creek, Hickory Slough, and Mary's Creek or one of the smaller streams.
As you can see on the map on page 7, the area of Silverlake is not on a flood plain. That does not mean it will not flood, but it is less likely than some other parts of the city. You can get a report on any address you are considering buying.

Crime - some. It seems that the closer you are to 288 (easy access for criminals), the more likely that there will be some crime. Most of the crime is home burglaries. The police are on top of it. The Brazoria County sheriff's department is excellent and they now have a substation at the Silverlake Clubhouse to use as a base.

Price - I can't say much since most homes seem to be listed at above $225 in Silverlake. Look at har.com What I see on this map are mostly above $250,000

Houston map search and Houston real estate map

Old 07-25-2011, 02:03 PM

1,408 posts, read 4,052,755 times
I've seen plenty of nice homes in Silverlake between $175k-$225k. Most, if not all the area is pretty good. Nothing much to complain about except traffic. I'd try to stay close to 518 or Southfork, also close to 288. It's much easier that way, unless you don't need 288.

Old 07-25-2011, 05:24 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,898,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Love View Post
I've seen plenty of nice homes in Silverlake between $175k-$225k. Most, if not all the area is pretty good. Nothing much to complain about except traffic. I'd try to stay close to 518 or Southfork, also close to 288. It's much easier that way, unless you don't need 288.
I disagree about staying close to 288 and 518. Southfork is better. I think a bit away from 288 is better too as you have less crime.

I don't see much listed on HAR for those prices either. However, over by us in Southwyck there are more in that range.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: