Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2011, 01:07 PM

1,534 posts, read 3,494,329 times

Advertisements

I've been to that neighborhood and like most upscale walled in neighborhood with houses $1Mill +, and that has it's own private country club, there are a few racists. This is not to reflect the whole neighborhood nor the association, but there are racists that live there. Why do you think they signed up to live behind the walls and pay astronomical fees to join the private club and HOA dues? They are also very cliquey and tongues there wag. I don't know if the complainant did anything to provoke the situation, and I'm not taking sides until further information is given, but I don't discount his story. While that hood is multicultural and the whole community overall is nice, there are interlorerant people, not just to race but to your SES and background as well. They probably didn't like the fact he was a renter as well.

Old 07-29-2011, 03:31 PM

9,598 posts, read 16,563,825 times
I wouldn't put too much credence in the opinion of a Royal Oaks resident. Maybe it's the stereotypical Jew in me, but people who overpay for things bother me a lot.

Old 07-29-2011, 04:02 PM

18,129 posts, read 25,278,015 times
In a community like that... I'm not surprised.
As somebody already mentioned, that's why they pay the extra fees to have the huge walls around their neighborhoods.

Sadly, that's the way our culture is, and is pushed in people's mind everyday on TV.
How many times have you seen a black actor on TV playing the role of a smart, educated, honest, family man?
I think I can count them with one hand (remember, they are actors)

But instead, anybody that is like Flavor-Flav get their on TV show.

Old 07-29-2011, 04:29 PM

Location: Where nothing ever grows. No rain or rivers flow, Texas
1,085 posts, read 1,580,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
In a community like that... I'm not surprised.
As somebody already mentioned, that's why they pay the extra fees to have the huge walls around their neighborhoods.

Sadly, that's the way our culture is, and is pushed in people's mind everyday on TV.
How many times have you seen a black actor on TV playing the role of a smart, educated, honest, family man?
I think I can count them with one hand (remember, they are actors)

But instead, anybody that is like Flavor-Flav get their on TV show.
Atleast black dudes arent shown as the dummy weakling in most TV commercials.

BTW Alief rocks!

Old 07-29-2011, 05:19 PM

9,053 posts, read 17,195,821 times
My guess is that his neighborly behaviour had something to do with it.

I don't want to live next door to Flavor-Flav - but I don't want to live next door to Charlie Sheen either.

Old 07-29-2011, 05:37 PM

8,895 posts, read 19,995,992 times
May be a grain a truth to it but the guys in golf cart story - not buying that -- it's not 1950.

Old 07-29-2011, 05:50 PM

18,129 posts, read 25,278,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimBomb View Post
Atleast black dudes arent shown as the dummy weakling in most TV commercials.

BTW Alief rocks!
Are you talking about Native Americans?

Old 07-29-2011, 06:05 PM

Location: Where nothing ever grows. No rain or rivers flow, Texas
1,085 posts, read 1,580,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
Are you talking about Native Americans?
what? no. Black dudes are rarely the 'funny' character in commercials. Actually thats kinda sad

As you guys know, 'better neighborhoods' in Alief are gated and has high walls. People in these places are very protective of their neighborhoods. Take for instance my simple neighborhood, you can't be just walking/driving around if you dont live here, even if youre a guest. The women tend to call up the neighbors and others will confront you with one had ready to draw. Plenty of times we just call up the cops and let the cop question or pick them up, whatever it takes to send the message. Our neighborhood has zero crime (except one stolen kids toy upfront and maybe 1 domestic that led to a divorce) if you can believe that. People take pride that crime does not happen within their walls and that gets people antsy to get to know the new faces.
Those places like Royal Oaks tend to have unwritten HOA rules like no pickups/unsightly cars, no vietnamese farmer hats/pajamas/just boxer short when outside, water hoses and other 'signs of diversity'

Last edited by TimBomb; 07-29-2011 at 06:23 PM..

Old 07-29-2011, 06:35 PM

563 posts, read 910,191 times
I get the feeling that it was a lot of people that were denied entry. Maybe his neighbors were tired of a bunch of cars being parked down the street. Could this be the case? Where did they plan on parking?

It seems from your post that a lot of black people were denied that day... Does he usually only have black visitors? Maybe the front office was told to not let anyone in to his address and every visitor just happened to be black. Maybe this was a wake up call from the HOA?

I'm just speculating because I too would like more info before I can form an opinion.

As far as Quanell X goes... His testimonials are hit or miss with me.

Old 07-29-2011, 07:20 PM

2,271 posts, read 5,146,753 times
Boston's worse in any case. These kinds of things happen all day, every day to the racially non-stereotypical residents of Beacon Hill and Back Bay. Don't even get me started on Brookline.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston