Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2011, 10:21 PM

7 posts, read 18,007 times

Advertisements

mibs98 thank you for you help, I came off wrong in the beginning. Thank you and wargod for looking past my ignorance. People all over the world were suffering, I was not trying to flaunt wealth, in sao paulo companies use a coop system to suffle management by heli. I do not own a copter. The jet is company owned, but the prices in river oaks are inexpensive compared to a similar home in Sao Paulo. I work in management for a state owned brazilian company, no more no less. I want help so my family can transistion as easy as possible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2011, 07:40 AM

54 posts, read 117,713 times
Houston:

This Washington Post article may help to explain Brazil_Brazil. I believe he just wanted friendship and advice. [Mod cut] . The article backs him up.

Brazil's Elites Fly Above Their Fears
Rich Try to Wall Off Urban Violence

SAO PAULO, Brazil -- Michael Klein, a 52-year-old executive known as the Home Appliance King, switched off the lights in his cavernous office, took a private elevator to the gusty rooftop of his fortress-like corporate headquarters here and caught his evening ride across town -- in a helicopter.
Beefy bodyguards guided Klein into the dimmed cabin of his midnight blue Agusta A119 Koala. Within moments, it lifted off, joining other airborne limousines darting over the hazy skyline. Klein is one of hundreds of new helicopter commuters in Sao Paulo, the world's fourth-largest metropolis, where the rich and powerful soar high above exploding urban ills.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/ac2/wp-dyn/A42332-2002May31 (broken link)

Last edited by ElkHunter; 07-31-2011 at 05:12 PM.. Reason: Orphaned cut. Copyrighted article. Post a few lines and then a link.

Old 07-31-2011, 08:13 AM

54 posts, read 117,713 times
LOL, Brazil_Brazil was insulted and I think his limited understanding of English caused misunderstanding. [Mod cut] these articles on Sao Paulo gave me a baseline to understand what he wanted. He also gave me some useful information on working in Brazil. His questions about life in Houston were valid.

The Economist Security in Brazil

Bullet-proof in Alphaville

The high price of protection from street violence

FOR the man who has everything and wants to keep it, a bullet-proof car and a house in a gated community with 24-hour guards are coming to be seen as essential in Sao Paulo, Brazil's business capital. Fear of robbery or kidnap is driving even middle-class citizens with fairly modest incomes to spend heavily on personal security. Recent strikes by police in several parts of the country have done nothing to increase Brazilians' confidence in the state's ability to guarantee law and order.

http://www.economist.com/node/740145

Last edited by ElkHunter; 07-31-2011 at 05:17 PM.. Reason: Orphaned cut. Copyrighted material. Post a few lines and a link to the article.

Old 07-31-2011, 01:49 PM

7 posts, read 9,128 times
These places have a few things in common, they are both in the western hemisphere. And they both have plenty of air pollution. And they both get quite a bit of rain.
SP is at about 3500' elevation surrounded by higher plateaus and mountains, Houston is surrounded by coastal flatlands.
SP is the economic capital of Brazil and one of the largest cities on the planet with over 20 million in the metro area. Houston is the second largest metro in TX over 5 million with a lot of petrochemical plants nearby.
SP has nice weather almost year round, almost never need any heat or air conditioning. Houston, run the AC at least 6 months a year, and the heat a few months too.
SP has the largest number of Japanese origin people of anyplace outside Japan. Large numbers of almost every race or origin on the planet, plus many a combination of two or three different ethnic origins.

Old 08-01-2011, 11:18 AM

1,105 posts, read 2,562,967 times
The Woodlands has a lot of South Americans ( Argentina, Brazil, ETC...)
I don't go down to River Oaks much, so can't judge it.

The majority of Latin Americans are going to be Mexican/Salvadorian, and other central American countries.

Old 03-13-2012, 08:56 PM

1 posts, read 844 times
Default Are you still living in Houston?

Hey brazil-Brazil, are you still in Houston? I am Brazilian and will be moving from NYC to Houston in the Summer. I am searching for house/schools now (I have a 5 year old). PM me I am looking fwd to meeting other Brazilians families in the area. Obrigada! Monica

Old 03-14-2012, 02:08 PM

53 posts, read 203,028 times
Ok I'm sure this is late, but I may be able to be of assistance...
I can definitely see where you are coming from.
If you are in river oaks, you have money (and there is no doubt about that)
Think about St. John's or Kinkaid or Awty. St. John's because of academics, Kinkaid because you're elite, and Awty because of internationality.

good luck to your famliy

Old 03-14-2012, 04:53 PM

3,333 posts, read 9,129,919 times
If I were forced to move from Sao Paulo to Houston, I'd cry for a month.

Just sayin'...

Ronnie

Old 03-14-2012, 08:24 PM

2,465 posts, read 5,761,220 times
I think his jet landed in Juarez :-)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston