Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2011, 08:52 PM

3 posts, read 4,083 times

Advertisements

I am writing to receive both advice and encouragement with a life decision I have committed to.

I am currently a graduating college senior from USC. My parents made it clear to me that at the end of this semester, my last term, I am not welcomed back home. This comes to me as no surprise as my family has never supported my college ambitions or life aspirations. I had been living on my own in Los Angeles, self-financed my college education and worked tirelessly to excel in school and secure meaningful part-time jobs.

I recently spoke with my long-time friend, who resides in the Houston/Sugarland area. He made it clear to me that he has my back and I could live with him in Texas and work towards getting a job in town.

I have no obligations to California. Furthermore, I have rather minimal student debt.

In my mind I have committed to moving to Houston/Sugarland as soon as my last semester is over.

Am I a fool for making this life-altering move?

Can I secure a full-time job? I am not asking for a handsome paying job but something that will allow me to rent out a bed, pay for groceries and leave me with spending money.

I feel lost but at the same time I am reminded that I need to blaze my own trail. I am 23 and I have what I believe an amazing opportunity to start a new chapter in my life. Just scared about not being able to get a job.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2011, 09:00 PM

90 posts, read 224,330 times
Follow your heart. You can definitely find a job here if you are persistent and flexible. The Houston area has much to offer and the possibilities are endless. Good luck!

Old 07-31-2011, 09:09 PM

3,842 posts, read 8,269,751 times
It is impressive that you are graduating from USC, and also impressive to graduate with minimal debt from a private school. Employers will definitely notice that. Sorry to hear about the recent challenges life threw at you, but from the sound of it, you are resourceful, and will turn things around in your favor. I don't think you are a fool. Having a friend already here to help out considerably minimizes your risk, and in your case this actually sounds like a good choice. Your money will go further here if you can get used to the weather. Good luck.

Old 07-31-2011, 09:18 PM

2,465 posts, read 5,792,835 times
1. Move to Sugarland and if you're talented I am sure you should be able starting somewhere.

2. What are graduating on? give is more details... I have many leads in Houston and I hope I can point you in the right direction.

Old 07-31-2011, 09:41 PM

ethanw, I am sending you a PM. Thanks so much to everyone who responded. I still welcome many more comments and advice.

Old 07-31-2011, 09:50 PM

613 posts, read 1,002,222 times
I wouldn't advise one way or the other without knowing what your degree is in and what your professional ambitions are. Yeah, you can always move and get a job in a restaurant, etc., but if you are focused in a sector or area where Houston is weak, then obviously it might not be a good fit.

Old 07-31-2011, 09:56 PM

Just to put it out there I have a degree in the humanities, which I know isn't highly sought after.

As far as my professional ambitions I want to work in politics and have zoned in on either pursuing a J.D. or M.P.P. in about two years. I am seeking to get a taste of the real world before jumping back into school.

I am not to picky about my job as long as its not retail or in the food industry. Not to insult anyone in those fields but that is just not me. I had my fair share of retail/restaurant work in high school and freshmen year of college.

Old 07-31-2011, 10:12 PM

4,760 posts, read 13,827,101 times
Sounds like you have more support in Houston than Los Angeles. You seem highly motivated and you'll find this a welcoming sort of place.

Old 07-31-2011, 10:52 PM

867 posts, read 2,977,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trojanclass11 View Post
I want to work in politics and have zoned in on either pursuing a J.D. or M.P.P. in about two years.
Not discouraging you in regards to your move to Houston. When I was in the Army Reserves, I was assigned a unit in Santa Barbara, CA and I always bragged about Houston's affordability and cost-of-living.

However, I do hope you have researched the employment picture concerning attorneys and the current (skyrocketing) cost of law school. IMHO, from what I've researched, the only good law school in this state is maybe UT.

Old 08-01-2011, 09:42 AM

1,290 posts, read 5,437,829 times
SMU and UT law are both considered tier 1.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: