Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2011, 09:33 AM

1,822 posts, read 2,001,310 times

Advertisements

Sounds like a typical modern house. Forget family time together, and meals eaten at the table. Backwards redneck mentality.

If you look hard, maybe you'll find some secret food tables that rise up from the floor in the living room, next to the location for the couch-potato sofa. Goobersville USA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2011, 09:38 AM

1,290 posts, read 5,437,134 times
The only thing I can think of is that the great room can be split to a dining room and living room, but it doesn't appear if it was set up for that.

THis house has no formal dining or living room AND it is only 4 bedrooms? IN a 5000 foot house? THink of it this way, when you sell it buyers are going to be questioning the same things you are questioning. I would think for $700K you could do better.

Old 08-01-2011, 10:39 AM

789 posts, read 1,527,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NTT View Post
Personally, I don't really care for having a formal living room. When my family and friends visit, they always end up in the family room, kitchen and/or breakfast room. I'm glad my home doesn't have one. Otherwise, it'd just take more space which would have made the other rooms smaller.
Everything in this statement is true. It's how a home normally works. No one end up in the formal living room. And I just hate the waste of space, when I see it. And yes, for most people adding all of those extra rooms, make the square footage of other rooms decrease. A big open home is the way to go for me.

Old 08-01-2011, 01:26 PM

2,480 posts, read 7,138,281 times
I am not sure what the big deal about the dining room in this house is. The kitchen/breakfast nook/living room looks big enough to put a very large table in if need be. The kitchen is as big as the living room.

There's room for 6 in the table they have in there. You could easily get a bigger table, and get a leaf to use when you need even more space. Especially if you turn the table where it's perpendicular to the windows, instead of parallel. Perhaps if you are a family that has huge family get togethers every sunday this might not be the house for you. But since I have NEVER used the formal dining room in either of my houses in 6 years....this house would suit me just fine.

As for a formal living room - I wonder who actually uses them? Most of the ones I see have a baby grand piano in it, and some sort of stuffy couch. And it's never touched. Wasted space IMO.

Now I would have a problem with a small breakfast nook and no separate dining room - but that's not the case with this house. When I have get togethers - everyone is always in my kitchen, and around my huge island. I have a great room so the breakfast nook, kitchen and living room are one big room.

Old 08-01-2011, 01:53 PM
NTT

723 posts, read 1,833,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lhafer View Post
I am not sure what the big deal about the dining room in this house is. The kitchen/breakfast nook/living room looks big enough to put a very large table in if need be. The kitchen is as big as the living room.

There's room for 6 in the table they have in there. You could easily get a bigger table, and get a leaf to use when you need even more space. Especially if you turn the table where it's perpendicular to the windows, instead of parallel. Perhaps if you are a family that has huge family get togethers every sunday this might not be the house for you. But since I have NEVER used the formal dining room in either of my houses in 6 years....this house would suit me just fine.

As for a formal living room - I wonder who actually uses them? Most of the ones I see have a baby grand piano in it, and some sort of stuffy couch. And it's never touched. Wasted space IMO.

Now I would have a problem with a small breakfast nook and no separate dining room - but that's not the case with this house. When I have get togethers - everyone is always in my kitchen, and around my huge island. I have a great room so the breakfast nook, kitchen and living room are one big room.
Looks like you have the same thinking as the original homeowner(s) when he/she had this home built, a formal dining room wasn't a big deal for them.

We were mainly discussing as in a normal design home, this home would have a formal dining room, that's all.

As for a formal living room, most people don't care about it neither. My home was built in 1976 in a similar way. It has a large room with a fireplace (a living/family room), a breakfast area, kitchen, and a medium size room that can be either a formal dining or a formal living room. Since I altered my breakfast area to accomodate more floor cabinet space, I'm using that medium size room as a formal dining room for large group gatherings. All rooms are spacious and I have a use for all of them.

In general, there's nothing wrong with this home IMO. It has its own charm, won't have a problem selling if the price is right. If anything else, the study room that is located midway the stairway, and the back yard will be the selling points.

Last edited by NTT; 08-01-2011 at 02:04 PM..

Old 08-01-2011, 01:57 PM

3,333 posts, read 9,172,989 times
No but I remember the old joke:

What's the dream home of every Junior Leaguer?

6,500 square feet, no kitchen, no bedroom.

Ronnie

Old 08-01-2011, 03:19 PM

111 posts, read 208,440 times
It's a nice house...I'd be more concerned with it being in Galveston county (hurricanes) than the lack of dining room. But, I'm not a person who likes to waste "living" space for "formal" space.

Old 08-01-2011, 06:40 PM

1,290 posts, read 5,437,134 times
I am all for using "living" space and disregarding "formal" space in my own living situation, but you DO cut out a population of buyers when you try to sell.

When we've built homes, we minimize the formal space, but we still have it.

Old 08-01-2011, 06:44 PM

9,273 posts, read 26,491,966 times
In new construction I ditched the formal living for a larger study (20x15) that could function as a formal as needed,and it will be furnished formally. All you needed is a hidden docking station and a hidden flat screen to hide the platts these days for a study, not a big production of wires and desks. I had to keep the formal dining, but semi-open. I don't think I could ditch the formal dining, yet I can see using the larger infomal dining more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: