Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2011, 06:38 PM

811 posts, read 1,556,528 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethanw View Post
Communism, Eastern Europe, Russia? We weren't diverse at all... I first spoke and see a black person when I was 18... I don't think Europe is diverse at all... Actually I think is pretty bad and "xenophobia" is getting in the driver seat lately. I go there every month and I kind of have a pulse on it... but that's just me and I don't wish to generalize
But getting back to the original question, which is not where I come from
You should have been more specific then as to what area you were referring to.

To answer your question, I find it no different as I do not find most of Europe a 'white mecca'.

18,130 posts, read 25,278,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StoryFriend View Post
At least, now everybody knows you must have been born in the US.
What does liking soccer have to do with being born in the US?

2,465 posts, read 5,791,723 times
Hey this is not an experiment of any sort or fashion. I am genuinely CURIOUS how does a white European feels moving to this country, particularly Houston.

If an American African can ask such a simple question what's wrong with me being WHITE, asking a similar question?????

Again this is not about black or white, is a genuine question on how whites feel moving to such a full and diverse city and country.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EasilyAmused View Post
wait...

Ethan married and Asian and lives in the exurbs of po-dunk town in a downgraded country...

What's the point of his question? Apparently only to ironically flame..

Old 08-01-2011, 06:45 PM

2,223 posts, read 5,486,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
What does liking soccer have to do with being born in the US?
My point here was that you obviously have never been there and posting a picture of a few men will not prove anything. Hence my reference to being born in the US. That's the typical response many foreigners would expect. I've never been anywhere outside of Texas, but I do have some pictures I found on the internet from other places!
What if the Japanese soccer team bought some Mexicans. Will Japan be Mexican then?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cabot View Post
You should have been more specific then as to what area you were referring to.

To answer your question, I find it no different as I do not find most of Europe a 'white mecca'.
You don't understand what's going on here.

Old 08-01-2011, 06:46 PM

441 posts, read 1,327,129 times
It feels OK (came from Prague and before Munich). Actually weather or horrible commute on 290 is bothering me 1000 times more then what shade of brown is my neighbour.

It depends on person I believe. If you've been closet xenophobic back home, then you will have hard time here. If you are open minded and apply critical thinking, there is no problems whatsoever color wise.... That 290 on the other hand... ugghh

Old 08-01-2011, 06:51 PM

6,870 posts, read 14,854,658 times
I thought Europe had a large immigrant population from Africa and the Arab nations. Of course it has it's majority White regions but so does the United States.

Old 08-01-2011, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StoryFriend View Post
My point here was that you obviously have never been there and posting a picture of a few men will not prove anything.
Soccer teams show the way people really look like in a country

Old 08-01-2011, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethanw View Post
How have you liked it? Do you miss being in the white mecca? How do you find the diversity in USA?

I welcome response from anyone with insight
How can Europe be "The white mecca" when it has the most diverse city in the World?

(London) Most Diverse City Ever | Londonist - 2005

Altogether, more than 300 languages are spoken by the people of London, and the city has at least 50 non-indigenous communities with populations of 10,000 or more.
According to the last census, in 2001, 30% of London residents had been born outside England – that’s 2.2 million people.

Old 08-01-2011, 06:56 PM

2,223 posts, read 5,486,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westhou View Post
I thought Europe had a large immigrant population from Africa and the Arab nations. Of course it has it's majority White regions but so does the United States.
France has the largest group of Europeans of African decent. It's about 5%. The next highest number is the UK with 2%. 5% of Middle Eastern in France, and 3-4 in the UK. Of course Europe is extremely diverse. Many different languages and cultures.

Old 08-01-2011, 06:56 PM

2,465 posts, read 5,791,723 times
That is such a down to earth answer and I thank you. To be honest I just haven't been exposed enough to this whole racial issue so in a way I am a sort of "xenophobe" through being brain washed? I am very new but yet open minded and I am having really hard time connecting the dots in this country when it comes to black and white. I want to get other opinions, I want to learn, I want to be able to constructively make a difference. So that's the reason I've asked how other white European folks deal with this? Call me stupid or close minded, but at least I have the guts to say it out loud.

Quote:
Originally Posted by meet4 View Post
It feels OK (came from Prague and before Munich). Actually weather or horrible commute on 290 is bothering me 1000 times more then what shade of brown is my neighbour.

It depends on person I believe. If you've been closet xenophobic back home, then you will have hard time here. If you are open minded and apply critical thinking, there is no problems whatsoever color wise.... That 290 on the other hand... ugghh
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston