Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2011, 07:27 AM

3,106 posts, read 9,124,720 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topaz View Post
Only the rich ones. Some of us don't have anything to be uppity about.
And those rich ones are usually the new money ones. I don't have anything to be uppity about either, lol! I shop at the Ghetto Target, after all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2011, 10:13 AM

789 posts, read 1,527,928 times
Thumbs down Uppity Attitudes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2Feebs View Post
Don't we really want TJ's to succeed?? I mean, by going in there, they are saving the Alabama. Isn't that kind of why we would all want to support them instead of shooting them down before they even get to TX?
I agree. I don't see why some people would hate a place that hasn't come yet. I welcome something new, and supposedly different from what I hear. I also welcome more competition. Anything that makes Houston better, and raises the bar, is good in my opinion. I doubt many of the people hating on it don't leave close to it, and won't frequent it that much anyway. As for me, I will try it out. I will catch a bus, or ride a bike down the street to it on a regular basis, if it is good.

Last edited by Kenpar; 09-21-2011 at 10:15 AM.. Reason: spelling correction

Old 09-22-2011, 01:33 PM

254 posts, read 464,613 times
I frequented Trader Joe's while living in Philly. I was glad to go back when we visited LA. 2 Buck Chuck is where it's AT!

I'm pretty sure they will get good business. I know they will get it from me.

In the end, if you hate something based solely on it being from California, well . . . just think about how goofy that sounds. Seriously. Logically think through that. I'm sure you will realize that there is more to this life than hating on something because it it's from Texas.

Old 09-22-2011, 01:49 PM

I still want to try this 2 Buck Chuck. People keep talking about it, the name is amusing, and it's 2 dollars. I'm sold, if it's good. I actually forgot Trader Joe's is where people said the brand was from. Just one more reason for me to go.

Old 09-22-2011, 03:22 PM

659 posts, read 1,376,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by N. Buck View Post
I frequented Trader Joe's while living in Philly. I was glad to go back when we visited LA. 2 Buck Chuck is where it's AT!

I'm pretty sure they will get good business. I know they will get it from me.

In the end, if you hate something based solely on it being from California, well . . . just think about how goofy that sounds. Seriously. Logically think through that. I'm sure you will realize that there is more to this life than hating on something because it it's from Texas.
I don't hate anything just because it comes from California. That being said, I don't necessarily like the slow, but sure Californication of "urban" Texas. I'd like these areas of Texas to retain some of their unique characteristics instead of just looking like a clone of a different state-California in this case. At the end of the day I guess it's just like back in the 70's and 80's when Texans were bemoaning the invasion of the Yankees. We'll see how it turns out this time...

Old 09-22-2011, 03:48 PM

4,760 posts, read 13,827,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by feufoma View Post
I'd like these areas of Texas to retain some of their unique characteristics instead of just looking like a clone of a different state-California in this case.
I don't think Texas is in much danger of looking like California.

Old 09-22-2011, 03:51 PM

Location: Central Bay Area, CA as of Jan 2010...but still a proud Texan from Houston!
7,484 posts, read 10,448,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenpar View Post
I still want to try this 2 Buck Chuck. People keep talking about it, the name is amusing, and it's 2 dollars. I'm sold, if it's good. I actually forgot Trader Joe's is where people said the brand was from. Just one more reason for me to go.
It will be some of the most so so cheap tasting wines you can ever imagine.

In Houston Spec's is where it's at

Old 09-22-2011, 03:52 PM

Question Uniqueness of Houston

I never get what people mean when they say they want Texas to keep it's uniqueness. I don't know what uniqueness that may be in Houston. It seems that no matter what place in the country becomes more "developed" the people say they don't want them to become like California or Boston. When in fact similarities are inevitable. All big cities just seem to have a certain feeling. And I really don't want Houston to go back to the way it was. Uber-boring is what I mean. One of the few things that I could remember there being that was any fun was Astro World, and the very small China Town (I'm sure Montrose still had it's mojo). Bus service was worse and rail wasn't even being thought of widely. Things were even more segregated than they are now. Gangs were far more prevalent. Big Texas Doll hair was in (shudders). And any social event was thought of as the toast of the town. So please, I beg of you, tell me what the uniqueness was then. Because Houston wasn't much different culturally than most smaller cities around it in my opinion. And I really don't want to be like Deer Park again (joking). In my opinion, Houston is becoming more unique every year since all the transplants came down.

u·nique

 /yuˈnik/ Show Spel[yoo-neek]
adjective 1. existing as the only one or as the sole example; single; solitary in type or characteristics: a unique copy of an ancient manuscript.

2. having no like or equal; unparalleled; incomparable: Bach was unique in his handling of counterpoint.

3. limited in occurrence to a given class, situation, or area: a species unique to Australia.

4. limited to a single outcome or result; without alternative possibilities: Certain types of problems have unique solutions.

5. not typical; unusual: She has a very unique smile.

#mid1 { border-top: 1px solid rgb(228, 228, 228); border-bottom: 1px solid rgb(228, 228, 228); padding-bottom: 8px; padding-top: 8px; } noun 6. the embodiment of unique characteristics; the only specimen of a given kind: The unique is also the improbable.

Old 09-22-2011, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVC15 View Post
It will be some of the most so so cheap tasting wines you can ever imagine.

In Houston Spec's is where it's at
Is that a yes? If so, then that would be two endorsements of Chuck. All I need to know is if it is good for 2 dollars, haha. And did you mean it's available at Spec's? I am checking this out.

Old 09-22-2011, 04:06 PM

Location: Central Bay Area, CA as of Jan 2010...but still a proud Texan from Houston!
7,484 posts, read 10,448,062 times
Opening up a Trader Joes or an In N Out will NEVER make Texas like California.

The things that go on in CA politics will never see the light of day in Texas hopefully!

Can you see the Texas DMV punishing you financially for having a new car every year when you have to re-register it?

Can you see Texas creating a state income tax and then raising it yearly because the govt. can't control it's spending?

Can you see Texas becoming a Union State?

Can you see Texas giving out life time disability payments to habitual drug abusers who can't hold a job and the only disability they have is drug abuse?

Can you see Texas not enforcing the Death Penalty?

Can you see Texas look down upon the right to own a gun?

Can you see Texas enabling people to become life time disability abusers?

Can you see Texas paying outrageous pensions to state workers dictated by a Union?

Can you see Texas not knowing how to make good BBQ?

Can you see Texas with a 12% unemployment rate for over 3 years and rising?

Again opening a Trader Joes or In N Out will not Californicate Texas.

Last edited by TVC15; 09-22-2011 at 04:20 PM.. Reason: can't forget about the BBQ! OR 12% unemployment
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston