U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2011, 06:27 PM

15 posts, read 27,499 times

Advertisements

I'm sure there has to be plenty more areas besides these with good schools and places to raise your children.
I am looking for something with easy access o highways,close to entertainment,jobs and good schools.
Can anyone give me any suggestions?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2011, 07:05 PM

3,283 posts, read 5,425,530 times
look at all the master planned communities that are in and close to houston. there are too many really to list. they will have virtually all of what you are describing. there are lots of areas close to what you are describing in and immediately near the city but they come at higher price points.

if buget doesn't matter and you dont need to be near your job id look at river oaks and do private school. but job location and price matter

Old 08-03-2011, 07:07 PM

2,783 posts, read 6,220,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suggamom04 View Post
I'm sure there has to be plenty more areas besides these with good schools and places to raise your children.
I am looking for something with easy access o highways,close to entertainment,jobs and good schools.
Can anyone give me any suggestions?
Whether in Houston or anywhere else in this country, there are going to be trade-offs in terms of accessibility to jobs/good schools/highways/etc. and what one is willing/able to pay. This is real life, not a fairy tale. If one's financial means are relatively unlimited, then of course you can find all of that. But it comes at a price, which is why people choose the suburbs like Katy or Sugarland. Choose what's most important to you and then find a place that you can afford that meets your most important criteria.

Old 08-03-2011, 07:09 PM

8,730 posts, read 17,855,956 times
There are good suburbs on all sides of town - where will your employer be located - that is kind of key in deciding where to live?

Old 08-03-2011, 07:23 PM

3,283 posts, read 5,425,530 times
she posted about best times to find a job so i am guessing she doesnt have one yet. id do everything possible to convince the OP to NOT move until you have a job. assuming you have some type of safety net where you are you should be hesitant about taking your little one to a new place with nothing unless you have a hefty savings to live on. ive posted this before, probably because i cant get it out of my mind, but due to my job ive had to speak to way too many moms and families who moved to Houston looking for work only to end up homeless a few months later. i imagine it will be difficult to secure a stable well paying job as a CNA in Houston. but without me having done it myself i couldn't really give you any facts on that.

nice suburbs/neighboring suburban towns: pearland, sugarland, first colony, kingwood, woodlands, atascocita, cinco ranch, sugarland, cypress, katy, shadow creek, falling something or other, etc.

other nice areas that are along the lines of what you talked about wanting: westbury, meyerland, bellaire, west university, river oaks, museum district, westmoreland place, montrose, willow meadows, willow bend, etc.

i am impressed i did that all out of memory. there are really too many to list without reading from a map. this is the 4th largest city in the US after all

Old 08-03-2011, 09:43 PM

15,721 posts, read 21,280,699 times
no

Old 08-04-2011, 08:30 AM

3,333 posts, read 8,418,631 times
River Oaks
Pearland
Clear Lake
The Woodlands

Okay, now I'm tired.

Ronnie

Old 08-04-2011, 09:35 AM

15,670 posts, read 10,152,182 times
Houston metro area covers +/- 10,000 square miles. Take your pick. There are good areas with good schools all over. Work location is the key to where one locates. I live in a small school district (45000 kids). It is 25 miles from the north to the southern border. Many districts are larger.
Do not come to Houston without having a job.

Old 08-04-2011, 04:37 PM

1,066 posts, read 2,158,871 times
Friendswood and much of the Bay Area.

Old 08-04-2011, 07:02 PM

12,671 posts, read 21,959,048 times
What about Piney Point?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston