Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2011, 09:50 PM

9,598 posts, read 16,502,858 times

Advertisements

What about a neighborhood between 610 and 8? Westbury and Sharpstown come to mind.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2011, 09:57 PM

183 posts, read 276,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crbcrbrgv View Post
What about a neighborhood between 610 and 8? Westbury and Sharpstown come to mind.
Crime & taxes...did I mention CRIME? (HFD for 29 yrs. & Katy/Cinco much better choices)

Old 08-04-2011, 10:18 PM

9,598 posts, read 16,502,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hatin11r View Post
Crime & taxes...did I mention CRIME? (HFD for 29 yrs. & Katy/Cinco much better choices)
Crime is higher, for sure. I'm big into resale value and commute time, though. Also, I've had a relative who has lived in Sharpstown forever. She's never seen anything crazy happen and has never been a victim of crime. It is a big neighborhood and does have its rough spots.

I think it would also help if the OP told us a little bit more about him/herself.

Old 08-04-2011, 11:01 PM

90 posts, read 129,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crbcrbrgv View Post
Crime is higher, for sure. I'm big into resale value and commute time, though. Also, I've had a relative who has lived in Sharpstown forever. She's never seen anything crazy happen and has never been a victim of crime. It is a big neighborhood and does have its rough spots.

I think it would also help if the OP told us a little bit more about him/herself.
Yes the residential areas area north of 59 are very good. Sharpstown Section 1 south of 59 is definitely the roughest one of all but it seems like it has the most long term potential because it has Bayland park and is literally a block a way from million dollar homes (Bellaire). There has been some new construction in that section as well because many of the houses are 50's ranch which are prime targets for tear downs. Sutton Elementary is examplary and Sharpstown High is now acceptable according to the state of TX.

But since you are commuting to TMC I would definitely recommend Westbury because it is literally less than 20 mins away from TMC and is just outside the loop. You can get an excellent, upgraded home for 200- 250k in that neighborhood. The elementary and middle schools are good but Westbury High leaves a lot to be desired. If your kids are smart they could easily be valet victorian because there isnt a lot of competition.

Old 08-05-2011, 05:28 AM

4 posts, read 7,174 times
I would say our main priority is the school my daughter would go to (she is entering second grade). She is currently in Catholic school in Massachusetts, but we are thinking of sending her to public school once we are in Houston. Honestly, the Catholic schools in Houston have been less than helpful with her transferring there. I do not work, so we only have to worry about one commute. As I mentioned, my husband is not concerned with an hour commute since his is currently 1.5 hours from New Hampshire into Boston. He prefers to live a bit further away from his job. We do not have anything like MPCs in our area, so we have no experience with them, but they seem to be the way we are heading. On paper, I was looking more towards the south of Katy area (Cinco, Grand Lakes, Nottingham, Seven Meadows) but when I mentioned this to the recruitment/relocation office, they told me I would not be happy there since TMC people do not live there. They told me we should live in loop, but like I said, my husband would prefer to be a bit further away. For areas "further out" they suggested Pearland, but I have read so much mixed info on it that I wasn't really considering it. They also suggested Sugarland and sections of Missouri City. I like Telfair, First Colony and Sienna Plantations, but it looks like there are more/better school choices in Katy. So even though I am tending to lean towards Katy, they are pushing me to look elsewhere. I have heard everything from the age range in Katy is too young for us, to the commute will kill us, to the oil people won't socialize with us since we don't work in their field/companies. Then I read posts here about how friendly it is and I wonder why I am being pushed to look elsewhere. This is a really big move for us, and Houston is just so huge that it is so hard to tell where to live, and I can't afford to make a big mistake with our housing.

Old 08-05-2011, 05:30 AM

3,702 posts, read 18,154,336 times
Westbury is a good recommendation and easy to grab public transport to TMC and you can get in an area zoned to Bellaire HS. If you want to be a little farther away and still have access to public transport, try somewhere like Timber Grove or Lazybrook, public schools might be an issue though very good catholic schools nearby. If you head for the burbs (limited to no public transport) try Pearland or Sugarland. The commute from Katy would make a person miserable rather quickly.

Old 08-05-2011, 05:33 AM

4 posts, read 7,174 times
added those now- thanks!

Old 08-05-2011, 05:45 AM

3,333 posts, read 9,134,123 times
I live in Pearland and the commute is 35 - 40 minutes virtually every day to Louisiana downtown.

Old 08-05-2011, 07:01 AM

2,277 posts, read 3,941,522 times
There is nothing wrong with Katy and if that's where you've got your heart set, move there. Excellent schools and if you can stand the commute, why not. Your hubby could alsways take the Park and Rides if he doesn't mind the time factor. I don't think there is any big segregation of oil field and medical workers. Everyone in the suburbs is just a suburbanite (except for maybe some high end executive cliques). Cinco is lovely, if still new and fairly tree lacking. Lots of parks in Katy and a very nice suburb. If you like trees more (being from the northeast) you might like The Woodlands. They have schools on par with Katy.

Old 08-05-2011, 08:01 AM

286 posts, read 736,455 times
Go with Katy if that's what you're leaning towards. Honestly, people of all backgrounds and employment live there. If it's important to be near TMC people for you, then yes, you may want to consider Sugarland/Pearland/inside the loop. Katy is very kid-friendly; I think not having kids would be a bigger issue than age. Plus, if you are interested in public transport, there is a Park & Ride bus that goes to downtown, and then your husband can transfer to the train to get to the TMC.

I would recommend coming down and just checking out the different areas you're interested in and maybe even renting a house in a neighborhood you like and see how it feels to you. But everyone is super friendly here (as a former New Englander, the friendliness in Texas was unnerving to me at first, but it's really true!).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston