Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2011, 03:46 AM

3,503 posts, read 7,499,830 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethanw View Post
Well classic example of HOA's not serving the home owner interests but rather something else. Power trip anyone?

Maybe. Then again, I bet the homeowners in that neighborhood should have been more careful about where their deeds were going, then this becomes a moot point.

Easy for me to say, never having dealt with an HOA, but this shows why.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2011, 06:03 AM

1,329 posts, read 3,544,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ethanw View Post
Well classic example of HOA's not serving the home owner interests but rather something else. Power trip anyone?
In this case, possibly self-dealing and kickbacks as well.

Old 08-26-2011, 08:51 AM

41 posts, read 81,232 times
update..Due to the uprising over the money, and upcoming election, the board President is working on his math, and will come up with a new proposal...or so he says.

Old 08-26-2011, 10:43 AM

789 posts, read 1,527,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlfredB1979 View Post
Maybe. Then again, I bet the homeowners in that neighborhood should have been more careful about where their deeds were going, then this becomes a moot point.

Easy for me to say, never having dealt with an HOA, but this shows why.
How do you not deal with a HOA? This is a very serious question, that I would like an answer on, for future reference. I never want to deal with these people if I can help it. So, if anyone has an answer, let me know.

Old 08-26-2011, 04:14 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,916,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenpar View Post
How do you not deal with a HOA? This is a very serious question, that I would like an answer on, for future reference. I never want to deal with these people if I can help it. So, if anyone has an answer, let me know.
Buy a house where there is no HOA? Until we moved to Houston, we never dealt with an HOA. The cities we lived in did not have them.

Old 08-26-2011, 06:57 PM

2,628 posts, read 8,833,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
Buy a house where there is no HOA? Until we moved to Houston, we never dealt with an HOA. The cities we lived in did not have them.
Yes, but I bet they had zoning.

Old 08-26-2011, 10:46 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,916,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by modster View Post
Yes, but I bet they had zoning.
Yep, they had zoning. I thought that was pretty standard anywhere until we moved here. They had zoning in Louisiana, in Illinois, in New York, in New Jersey and in Florida.

Old 08-27-2011, 09:08 AM

2,628 posts, read 8,833,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
Yep, they had zoning. I thought that was pretty standard anywhere until we moved here. They had zoning in Louisiana, in Illinois, in New York, in New Jersey and in Florida.
Pretty much everywhere has zoning but us, but that is a whole other thread.

Old 08-28-2011, 09:01 AM

3,438 posts, read 4,454,403 times
The zoning argument is not a rational excuse for the HOAs.

HOAs are prevalent throughout the state - but not because homeowners want them. HOAs are numerous due to local government mandate, not popularity.

Because of such mandate, you will not likely find a subdivision of homes built in the last couple of decades without one. As if that weren't bad enough, the city of Houston planning department tries to force HOAs onto older neighborhoods that don't presently have one. They also lobbied for laws purporting to permit HOA corporations to annex neighboring non-HOA property without the consent of the homeowners of the non-HOA property. You will probably have to look pretty hard to find non-HOA property in Houston. Beware also of the "civic association" subdivisions even though they might not be involuntary membership organizations.

These places are often mills for HOA-industry vendors (attorneys, management companies) to ply their not-so-neighborly trade. Lots of money moving from homeowners' pockets to these vendors. The HOA corporation does not really represent the homeowners - only those in control of its board. Frequently, this is HOA management company and HOA attorney who claim to be only representing the HOA.

You might want to look at the history of litigation regarding the HOA and homeowners. There is a somewhat out-of-date website maintaining statistics on a few subdivisions and the litigation mills. You can see that here: http://www.hoadata.org/

Last edited by IC_deLight; 08-28-2011 at 09:16 AM..

Old 08-29-2011, 06:24 AM

279 posts, read 724,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IC_deLight View Post
HOAs are prevalent throughout the state - but not because homeowners want them.
Maybe YOU don't want them, but a lot of people do. Hyperbole does your point of view no favors.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: