Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2011, 10:11 PM

88 posts, read 206,058 times

Advertisements

@heightsian,
My problem is I have a weakness for modern architecture..the condos on Utah, Chenevert and Rosewood are actually built by the same developer!

We are in the process of negotiating the lease on the place we picked now, but there are already some red flags that are making me nervous..if a landlord is this difficult now, what will happen if we have problems once we've moved in?? I may have to fly back out there next weekend and broaden my scope.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2011, 10:38 PM

2,628 posts, read 8,833,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juilletdix View Post
@heightsian,
My problem is I have a weakness for modern architecture..the condos on Utah, Chenevert and Rosewood are actually built by the same developer!

We are in the process of negotiating the lease on the place we picked now, but there are already some red flags that are making me nervous..if a landlord is this difficult now, what will happen if we have problems once we've moved in?? I may have to fly back out there next weekend and broaden my scope.
The areas with the shiny new contemporary townhomes like that are areas that just started seeing any serious revitalization in the last several years. It is only fairly recently that much development was done north of Washington Ave, or east of Main by the Museums. Driving around if you pay attention, you will notice none of the townhomes in those areas look any older than a very few years.

You should be able to find things in the more established areas, which for the Rice Military area would be Camp Logan, west of Westcott/Washington, and the core of Rice Military, south of Washington, west of Shepherd, which would offer a more built out type environment, but the offerings would be a little older.

In the museum district, staying west of Main street in 05 or 06 zip codes instead of 04 is the difference between long-established areas and ones that just started transitioning up much more recently. Especially in this area you would looking at older townhomes, probably more 70's post-modern style vs. the contemporary ones east of Main.

You might broaden your search to rental homes and look for a mid-century modern or something in zone 17 of HAR.

I think at the end of the day, you will probably come down to either the super sleek new(er) contemporary townhome in a block-by-block adventure of a transitional neighborhood, or getting something older, be it post-modern or traditional, in a more established and desirable location. Pick your poison.

Old 08-10-2011, 10:58 PM

88 posts, read 206,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by modster View Post

I think at the end of the day, you will probably come down to either the super sleek new(er) contemporary townhome in a block-by-block adventure of a transitional neighborhood, or getting something older, be it post-modern or traditional, in a more established and desirable location. Pick your poison.
Thanks! I think you're probably correct. Might have been too optimistic to think I could figure all this out in 5 days. The townhouse we liked was really nice and in a perfect location - but I do know enough to trust my gut and if the landlord doesn't seem to be on the level, I've got time to rethink it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston