Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2011, 08:08 AM

81 posts, read 128,329 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
you don't need no darn mountain or great weather. If that was everything SF would be THE city in the US. new York has no mountains or great weather and it is far more than SF.

places like London, Paris etc have no mountains or great weather.

why does Houston people fall for that bull **** that you need mountains or fine weather for anything.

List the major cities in the world and tell me what fine weather they have.

You guys need to be de-programed from that nonsense.

No wonder we do a crappy job of promoting ourselves. With residents having Eeyore attitudes like that no wonder their is no effort. Just sit around feeling sorry for yourselves. bla bla bla, I am just an old gray donkey.

geez appreciate all the things Houston have to offer. It has more than Austin and Dallas and those two don't seem to have problems marketing themselves. Then again they are proud of their cities and don't sit around saying how old and gray they are

fair enough, fair enough. in fact what could be viewed as horrible weather could be sold as a feature, like some parts of northern michigan actually use the fact that there is tons and tons of snow like its a good thing. people up there actually cry when there is not enough. and happiness/culture are what the people make of it. which kinda brings me to my point. what about the other stuff? and let me share the one that actually frustrates me the most.

we dont allow subcultures of creativity to flourish (new york in the 40's, seattle in the 90s) - london, paris, amsterdam, and prague to name a few, all have ****ty-as-hell weather, but encourage and flourish the myriad of art and subcultures that form within. houston being the reddest ass of this red state makes it a point to squash every bit of that out of existence by any means necessary. only synthetic, pre-approved, corporate forms of any of that are tolerated. it drives people away and makes them bitter and resentful. it really really does. and that really is on our shoulders. you're absolutely right when you say we have an eeyore attitude. and we have an ocean of unconcerned types that dont contribute and serve only as obstructionist resistance, but i'm not getting into that here.

i do agree with your assessment of austin. they really arent any better. i found austin to be a deplorable fraud of a town. its openly rascist, its plastic as hell, and there is nothing, absolutely nothing, alternative or enlightented about it or its people. its a hive of fascist vipers, and it latches on to the notion that 40 yrs ago they had a couple of bums that somehow lucked out in the music biz. other than that, its the same backwards country crap, packaged to us under false pretenses, and forced down our throats. so good on you there with calling austin out.

i dont have enough experience with dallas to give it a fair assessment, but something tells me that it is just another turd in this toilet we call texas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2011, 08:59 AM

9,221 posts, read 15,958,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Uh, I don't know anyone from Dallas that goes to Houston to have fun.

They might go down to the Austin area for the river...then again, my in-laws (who live in Houston) just bought a river house down by Austin, too....
I do. Took some friends from DFW to Houston for a weekend. They say hate Houston is dirty and smells bad, but it's much fun. I've even read it from some Dallasites on here. "Houston is where you go to party, and Dallas is where you go back to live".

Old 08-14-2011, 09:14 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,375,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trae713 View Post
I do. Took some friends from DFW to Houston for a weekend. They say hate Houston is dirty and smells bad, but it's much fun. I've even read it from some Dallasites on here. "Houston is where you go to party, and Dallas is where you go back to live".
Sure. I believe some people might do that.

But if this is the first time I've heard it living here for over 20 years, it's hardly a widespread phenomenon.

Old 08-14-2011, 10:13 AM

18,495 posts, read 32,959,536 times
Quote:
Uh, I don't know anyone from Dallas that goes to Houston to have fun.

They might go down to the Austin area for the river...then again, my in-laws (who live in Houston) just bought a river house down by Austin, too....
you may not know them but there is quite a lot. Everytime there is some big activity here or on the beach they come in droves.

you should try it sometime, you will see all your home peeps.

Quote:
But if this is the first time I've heard it living here for over 20 years, it's hardly a widespread phenomenon.
It actually is. Especially among the black folks. The white kids may be wanting to party with their own in Austin, but huge numbers of black folks from Dallas flock to Houston regularly. I have a friend who comes at least twice a month (and he rides the darn bus to Houston).

The gays flock here too. I think there are usually more people from Dallas who go to the Splash events than Houstonians themselves. You see a lot of people from Dallas (and Austin and SA) at the Pride Parade too since it is the biggest in Texas and held in a different month from dallas.

Old 08-14-2011, 10:35 AM

9,221 posts, read 15,958,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
you may not know them but there is quite a lot. Everytime there is some big activity here or on the beach they come in droves.

you should try it sometime, you will see all your home peeps.

It actually is. Especially among the black folks. The white kids may be wanting to party with their own in Austin, but huge numbers of black folks from Dallas flock to Houston regularly. I have a friend who comes at least twice a month (and he rides the darn bus to Houston).

The gays flock here too. I think there are usually more people from Dallas who go to the Splash events than Houstonians themselves. You see a lot of people from Dallas (and Austin and SA) at the Pride Parade too since it is the biggest in Texas and held in a different month from dallas.
You can go to the beaches during Spring Break and all of summer and see the white people from DFW.

Old 08-14-2011, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trae713 View Post
You can go to the beaches during Spring Break and all of summer and see the white people from DFW.
Oh they do come, I didn't say they didn't come.

I said the white kids may prefer to party in Austin so maybe Stan may have heard his friends talking about partying in Austin.

I don't know if Stan knows all 6,300,000 people in Dallas to know if partying in Houston is a common occurrence, (maybe his job puts him in a position to know everyone in DFW) but I was just speaking from what I see with my own eyes, and what I see with my own eyes (or rather what I hear with my own ears when I am nosey and go around talking with groups asking where they are from) is a lot of people from DFW having fun here.

the reverse may be true. Are there regular events in DFW where Houstonians go in droves???

Old 08-14-2011, 12:27 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,220,926 times
PV might as well be a Dallas HBCU lol

Old 08-14-2011, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blkgiraffe View Post
PV might as well be a Dallas HBCU lol
lol, true dat.

Why do people in Dallas think that Dallasites don't visit Houston just because they themselves don't come here to have fun???

Lots of Dallas people out in the real world love Houston

Old 08-14-2011, 02:03 PM

433 posts, read 701,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AcresHomes44 View Post
Bravo can shove it for all I care. Who are they anyway? I'm glad Houston didn't pay out. Houston has always been a city that's secure with itself. If Houston has to pay a TV network to get recognition for something most Houstonians already know (we know we're one of the top restaurant cities, if not the top restaurant city in the country), then that's ridiculous and Houston did the right thing by refusing. Houston wouldn't look right with mountains. I, a Houston resident through and through am content with the fact we market ourselves as a business town Because that's one of the reasons why Houston continues to grow and rank high for young professionals, there's a plethora of big business jobs waiting for them after graduation. I don't want Houston to grow into something it's not or meant to be. Houston residents need to do a better job of representing their city, celebrating the good it has to offer.[/b][/b][/b]

That's another thing, it's stupid to spend $300-$500 on world class dining. You get meager to mid-sized portion of food on a huge plate, that doesn't make sense. World-class, fine dining does not a city make. Personally, if you're willing to spend $300-$500 per plate, you need your head examined.
Anyone that is secure within oneself doesn't need to keep projecting about being the top of anything at every given chance and tell something to shove it. Where do you get this information about Houston being the top restaurant city? Your peers?

And people wonder why this city isn't taken seriously or doesn't get the respect. I agree. This city needs better representation.

Whatever your profession is, it is obvious you're not part of a budget that includes executive lunch/dinner. They spend $300-500/pp. They just spend it on wine.

The culture of bottom-line mentality is still prevalent even at this level. Why have a 7 course when you can have a 24 oz. bone-in and a couple bottles of wine? Instead of enjoying the evening to converse about anything but work, it turns into shop-talk, being a Texan and into a pissing contest about opening up the next expensive bottle. Even when it is non-business outing.

Quantity over quality, check. Insecurity, check. This city needs a better representation, so go ahead and tell your bosses to have their heads examined. Man, now I know it is the "bizness" for restaurants here in Houston. Love the culture! One of the top, if not #1!

Old 08-14-2011, 02:20 PM

1,106 posts, read 2,657,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hulksmashpunyhumans View Post
fair enough, fair enough. in fact what could be viewed as horrible weather could be sold as a feature, like some parts of northern michigan actually use the fact that there is tons and tons of snow like its a good thing. people up there actually cry when there is not enough. and happiness/culture are what the people make of it. which kinda brings me to my point. what about the other stuff? and let me share the one that actually frustrates me the most.

we dont allow subcultures of creativity to flourish (new york in the 40's, seattle in the 90s) - london, paris, amsterdam, and prague to name a few, all have ****ty-as-hell weather, but encourage and flourish the myriad of art and subcultures that form within. houston being the reddest ass of this red state makes it a point to squash every bit of that out of existence by any means necessary. only synthetic, pre-approved, corporate forms of any of that are tolerated. it drives people away and makes them bitter and resentful. it really really does. and that really is on our shoulders. you're absolutely right when you say we have an eeyore attitude. and we have an ocean of unconcerned types that dont contribute and serve only as obstructionist resistance, but i'm not getting into that here.

i do agree with your assessment of austin. they really arent any better. i found austin to be a deplorable fraud of a town. its openly rascist, its plastic as hell, and there is nothing, absolutely nothing, alternative or enlightented about it or its people. its a hive of fascist vipers, and it latches on to the notion that 40 yrs ago they had a couple of bums that somehow lucked out in the music biz. other than that, its the same backwards country crap, packaged to us under false pretenses, and forced down our throats. so good on you there with calling austin out.

i dont have enough experience with dallas to give it a fair assessment, but something tells me that it is just another turd in this toilet we call texas.
Lol, houston doesnt have flourishing artistic subcultures? Its just that people like you dont recognize them because you dont like them. ill bet Houstons music scene is more active than Austins, but it happens to be mainly in distinctly local forms of rap, not some pretty college white kids or sttylish Europeans with more fashion sense than talent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston