Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-13-2011, 06:12 PM

6,489 posts, read 8,757,712 times

Advertisements

Around the time of hurricane Ike we bought a generator, which happened to be delivered the same day our power came back on. Anyway, it has been sitting in our garage in its original box since then and I want to get it installed and available to use.

Can anyone advise how to do this? I would like it to sit outside behind our garage possibly near the a/c unit. Does it need to sit on a slab? Should we have a little ventilated shed or cover built to house it? Is there a specific kind of contractor that could hook it up to the house and take care of the housing for the unit? All I know is we would need an electrician to connect it to the house, but is there some kind of service that would do both?

It is a Briggs & Stratton 5500 watt, 10 HP if that makes any difference.
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2011, 06:49 PM

1,211 posts, read 3,539,516 times
That isn't the type of generator that you use for whole house power. What you have is suitable to plug a couple of extension cords into and power a lamp, tv, or possible your refrigerator. Or, just start it up and enjoy the noise....

Old 08-13-2011, 07:49 PM

419 posts, read 1,916,545 times
maggie,

hey ya'll did good on purchasing a generator, but the one ya'll have is a bit small (depending on what you want powered up).

If you want it connected to your electrical panel, you will for sure need an electrician. If that is your intentions 5500 watts will not power but a few circuits. You can forget the A/C, because that generator doesn't have enough power. It will power a fridge or two and a few other small appliances (ie fan, radio, tv, lamps, etc). Don't forget the additional cost you will incur with the electrician. The greater the distance from the panel to the generator will drive the installation cost up as well (more wire is needed).

Don't set it outside until you need it. Thieves are everywhere. Be sure your location is away from windows and such, because you don't want to be inhaling the exhaust fumes. The only reason I can think of for a small shelter over the unit is to keep off the rain (and that ain't a bad idea).

You need not pour a concrete slab, but you can put down a few patio bricks to keep the unit off the ground. Not needed, depending on how fancy you get with you little shelter (install a floor).

That generator is also a big time gas consumer. I believe it has a 5 gallon tank and that wont last long, but it also depends on how much load it has to pull. If I remember right (and don't quote me on this), you may get a max of 10 hours per 5 gallons on a 50 percent load. You'll need to buy several 5 gallon gas cans and fill them early, because panic will occur and the last thing you want to do is stand in line at a gas station. You will also need to buy a gas stabilizer (I use Sta-Bil)> You will find it at Walmart or any auto parts store. Be sure to use this stuff and follow the directions. Add this stuff to the gas cans at the house and then go to the gas station to fill em up.

If it turn out that you are shocked by the electricians cost for installation, you can always run extension cords from the generator to the appliances you want to run. I believe your generator has a few 20 amp breakers rated at 120 volts and one 30 amp breaker rated at 220 volts. If you go with extension cords you need to buy the ones that have a number 12 awg wire. They cost more, but will not overheat and cause a fire it overloaded. The breaker on the generator will trip first.

I hope this helps.

Old 08-14-2011, 07:05 PM

6,489 posts, read 8,757,712 times
Thanks for the input. I guess it could help out in a pinch, but it is pretty much useless.

Old 08-14-2011, 08:45 PM
NTT

723 posts, read 1,824,660 times
If you're not planning to use it and rather have another unit, just sell it on eBay or Craiglist's. Since it's still in the box, you should be able to sell it as "NEW, still in box!". It'd raise your chance on the sale.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston