Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2011, 12:35 AM

12,671 posts, read 23,801,652 times

Advertisements

How long have you been in Houston/Suburbs and how long do you plan to stay here?

Do you plan to retire here? If not, where?

Top 3 things you like living here?
Top 3 things you don't like ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2011, 06:48 AM

1,632 posts, read 3,325,941 times
Been here for about 15 months (Humble area) and am loving it. I'll work here until I retire, but will likely move to a small mountain town where I can live on 20+ acres when I'm done. Really happy here though.

Likes: The people / culture, cost of living, opportunities

Dislikes: lack of zoning, the sprawl (it takes over an hour to drive to the other side of town), lack of mountains.

Old 08-14-2011, 07:41 AM

16,508 posts, read 26,291,623 times
I've been here since August 17th, 2010. It will be one year exactly in three days.

Dislikes: Traffic, suburbs (I'm stuck outside of the beltway for a month!), RED LIGHT CAMERAS!

I do not plan to retire here, but I don't see why I couldn't retire here. Great state, great city.

Old 08-14-2011, 08:28 AM

4,760 posts, read 13,823,758 times
In Sugar Land since 2008. No plans to leave until retirement.

Do you plan to retire here? If not, where? No, but not sure where. Probably somewhere in Hill Country.

Top 3 things you like living here? Proximity to friends in Austin, husband's job is here, sun.

Top 3 things you don't like? Lack of zoning in Houston, mosquitoes, crime.

Last edited by Topaz; 08-14-2011 at 09:18 AM..

Old 08-14-2011, 08:51 AM

2,465 posts, read 5,790,939 times
In Sugar Land burbs for 20 years on and off when not leaving oversees. But always had a house in Sugar Land.

Plan to retire in Asia (own several acres in Langkawi)
Top 3 things you like living here? - Diversity, clean and even neighborhoods, absence of bad behaviors associated with certain races.
Top 3 things you don't like ? People putting down the burbs.

Old 08-14-2011, 12:12 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,902,669 times
How long have you been in Houston/Suburbs and how long do you plan to stay here? 4 years and I would be out of here in 2 shakes if not for the grandchildren being here.

Do you plan to retire here? If not, where? Already retired. Would move back to Chicago to stay.

Top 3 things you like living here? my neighbors, the fact that my grandkids have lots of other kids to play with in the neighborhood (they didn't in Metairie), cost of living
Top 3 things you don't like ? the weather, the lack of public transportation, mosquitoes, fire ants, the lack of a decent large and active library in walking distance

Old 08-14-2011, 07:45 PM

594 posts, read 1,249,287 times
In Houston since 2009. No plans to leave (and no complaints) but we are both young and will go where promotions in our/his field(s) take us.

Do you plan to retire here? If not, where? Again, no plans but both of us miss hills and/or mountains. We could end up here but we're open-minded.

Top 3 things you like living here? Job opportunities (we both had better options here than where we were living), LOTS of interesting and friendly people, food/drink.

Top 3 things you don't like? The flat landscape, traffic, I could do with less humidity.

Houston has been great for us. We enjoy living here.

Old 08-14-2011, 07:45 PM

710 posts, read 1,397,365 times
How long have you been in Houston/Suburbs and how long do you plan to stay here? 5 years the first go around, 6 years so far this go around (mostly because of the economy)

Do you plan to retire here? If not, where? Oh hell no!! Probably somewhere out West.

Top 3 things you like living here? 1. Cost of Living, 2. Food, 3. ?
Top 3 things you don't like ? 1. Heat and humidity, 2. Lack of elevation and scenery, 3. Sprawl and traffic

Old 08-15-2011, 12:29 PM

332 posts, read 532,628 times
1) All my life; since 1989, and most likely for ever.
2)Depends, either here or in my family's homeland of Guerrero, MX.
3)Many things to do, nightlife, eating like a pig for less money
4)heat!!!!, traffic and not many interesting things to do for a young person. (Theater, Opera, Lots of driving for sight seeing, Port, TMC are not things i wanna do to have fun)

Old 08-15-2011, 04:00 PM

1,042 posts, read 3,263,627 times
How long have you been in Houston/Suburbs and how long do you plan to stay here?
Moved here in 01 and have been here ever since minus two years spent in Baton Rouge. This will always be home for us and unless the oil industry goes under we will always be in the area. Job stability is the key factor for us. I will say though if we could be fairly certain of hubby's job stability and benefits elsewhere we would be moving to the Atlanta area to be closer to family. We miss the trees and the hills/mountains and hate the fact that our kids don't get to grow up having their grandparents near by.

Do you plan to retire here? If not, where?
All depends on where the kiddos move off to. The Hill Country is wonderful!

Top 3 things you like living here?
Cost of living can't be beat!
Nice drive to The Hill Country and Austin area!
Love the fact that I do not have to drive 20 minutes to a grocery store. I have everything I need right here which I know some people hate but for me it is a plus!

Top 3 things you don't like ?
Being half way across the country from both sets of family.
Crime but you are gonna find that pretty much everywhere these days. Hate that my kids can't go out in the front yard and play like I could growing up. To many crazies out in the world period!
Fire ants but that is the south for ya.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston