U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2011, 04:42 PM

443 posts, read 1,284,489 times

Advertisements

"Mayor Annise Parker has ordered mandatory Stage 2 water conservation measures this afternoon for the city of Houston, according to reports from KTRK-TV and FOX26.

Customers are required to:

Repair all detectable leaks within 72 hours
Limit lawn watering to no more than 2 days per week between 8 p.m. and 10 a.m., by tthis schedule:
Sundays and Thursdays for customers with even-numbered street addresses
Saturdays and Wednesdays for customers with odd-numbered street addresses"

Two days a week seems pretty harsh but honestly I'm surprised it's taken them this long. This is really going to make everything look like Saudi Arabia brown if we don't get any rain...not to mention the landscaping companies and suppliers that are drying up like yesterday's weeds.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2011, 04:46 PM

543 posts, read 1,317,040 times
What about vegetable gardens and such (fruit trees, etc..) ? Are we allowed to water these twice a week only ? I can understand about grass but vegetables and such needs daily watering.

Old 08-15-2011, 04:58 PM

40 posts, read 78,493 times
Here is the pdf with details on water restrictions:

http://dwsm.publicworks.houstontx.go...0Shortages.pdf

Specifically Sec. 47-243.b.2 states this as an affirmative defense:

Applied to plants by use of a bucket, watering can, hand held hose (with or without a nozzle), or
other method in which the actor directly and by use of hands continuously controlled the
application of the water.

It says that this applies to "Sec. 47-253. - Stage three water shortage" which doesn't make any sense since stage 3 is just stage 2 with aesthetic water prohibited as well. Can anyone figure out if this means I can water my yard by hand outside of the restrictions?

Old 08-15-2011, 05:05 PM

1,412 posts, read 4,182,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irishlover View Post
Two days a week seems pretty harsh but honestly I'm surprised it's taken them this long. This is really going to make everything look like Saudi Arabia brown if we don't get any rain...not to mention the landscaping companies and suppliers that are drying up like yesterday's weeds.
Two days a week isn't harsh at all. In fact, I would say that unless you have a vegetable garden/potted plant/brand new plant taking root, and you are watering any plant/grass more often than twice a week, you are overwatering.

Old 08-15-2011, 05:18 PM

2,277 posts, read 3,728,570 times
What does that mean to foundation watering? Guess I'll be soaking the ground extra on Saturdays and wednesdays?

Old 08-16-2011, 09:27 AM

1,822 posts, read 1,786,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MNCold View Post
What about vegetable gardens and such (fruit trees, etc..) ? Are we allowed to water these twice a week only ? I can understand about grass but vegetables and such needs daily watering.
There's no restriction against filling a watering container full of bottled water from the grocery store (for example those big jugs of water). It's already been paid for, it's not part of the Houston water supply, and the quality might be better than out of the hose anyway.

Go for it! Use that water on days when you can't use the water from the city / ground.

Old 08-16-2011, 09:37 AM

17,030 posts, read 29,346,261 times
I turned my faucet off while brushing my teeth. 5 min shower is tough, especially w a shave included.

Old 08-16-2011, 09:37 AM

9,273 posts, read 25,261,813 times
Another Idea that is good to use: If anyone in the house like baths, the bath water can be used on flowers and veggies. Basic soap will not hurt the plants, in fact it helps with bugs. It almost justifies the bath use, especially if you have younger children.

I've been using the dog bath water from the wash pit to go on what's left of the veggies and herbs.

It can be awkward if you don't have a door directly out of the bathroom to the outside though.

Old 08-16-2011, 10:28 AM

Location: Where nothing ever grows. No rain or rivers flow, Texas
1,085 posts, read 1,467,354 times
or you can bathe with family/dog using the sprinklers. I suggest using a herbal shampoo on the veggie area

Old 08-16-2011, 12:05 PM

148 posts, read 383,391 times
We have another water line broke in my neighborhood with water pouring out like crazy since this weekend. I've been watching people bring buckets to catch the water and then water their yard.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston