Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2011, 03:28 PM

9,273 posts, read 26,486,142 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas User View Post
100 is not normal for Houston right? Normally its early 90's in the summer.
No normal?? Mid to High 90's with a peppering of 100 degree days bathe norm June- mid-Sept. Low 90's are late May and picking up again in Mid-Sept.

I hate both extreme heat and cold. But I'm fixing that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2011, 05:32 PM

12,671 posts, read 23,798,905 times
You can control extreme cold outside but you cannot control extreme heat.

Old 08-22-2011, 07:00 PM

275 posts, read 836,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HugeTon View Post
With the paper fan in hands I can walk 10 miles in the heat to go look for food and shade and be alive. You sit there feeling comfortable next to the fire and starve to death. I am sure you don't want to leave your comfort zone, but if you even attempt to try, you might not be able to make it beyond 2 miles in drifting snow with minus temp. anyway. Pick your poison.
It's not like ppl didn't exist and thrive in snowy, freezing cold temps well before there were cars and other amenities. BTW, my A/C went out today. It's already 90 degrees inside the house now and the forecast shows 7 more days of > 100 degree weather. I guess I won't die, but it still sucks.

Old 08-22-2011, 07:41 PM

177 posts, read 425,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtohouston2 View Post
It's not like ppl didn't exist and thrive in snowy, freezing cold temps well before there were cars and other amenities. BTW, my A/C went out today. It's already 90 degrees inside the house now and the forecast shows 7 more days of > 100 degree weather. I guess I won't die, but it still sucks.
I am so sorry to hear about your ordeal. But be thankful. Much worse if it were -40 with no furnace running .

Old 08-22-2011, 07:51 PM

12,671 posts, read 23,798,905 times
What if Houston had the same climate as California? This place would be very crowded.

Old 02-16-2021, 07:21 PM

2,441 posts, read 2,520,666 times
I'm pretty sure not only me would prefer to trade this arctic blast for a scorching mid August weather right now and go to the beach instead of enjoying power outage

Old 02-16-2021, 07:55 PM

81 posts, read 107,746 times
I don’t remember stuff closing down due to heat

Old 02-17-2021, 03:00 PM

8,319 posts, read 5,478,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nashville Boi View Post
I don’t remember stuff closing down due to heat
Ive never had to shovel heat...

Old 02-24-2021, 10:35 AM

3 posts, read 954 times
Extreme cold is one thing, like low single digit and sub-zero danger temps. No thanks. But to me that's a similar thing to inclement weather, which is where most of the problems with cold climates come in. Generally though I will take the cold most days, I have no problem with bundling up. It's just all about actually being properly dressed to be comfortable.

I despise extreme heat, I like being active so it can ruin a day no problem. You either sit inside all day blasting AC, or sit outside sweating through your clothes (or maybe even sit inside sweating through your clothes). And being active outdoors is a serious struggle, contending with potential heat fatigue and feeling like your head is going to explode. Not fun to me, you just can't enjoy what you're doing because there's no real way to combat high heat outside of sitting in shade or avoiding it entirely. The only benefit is that it's a good temperature for swimming.

Wouldn't be such a thing if it was scattered among more generally warm days, but it can feel like the oven is just on forever in Houston with little respite even once the sun goes down. While sure, high heat doesn't stop you from going around as much, an extended boiling season can make me feel just as locked up in preventing me from enjoying activities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston