Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2011, 07:45 PM

789 posts, read 1,527,774 times

Advertisements

Wow, just, wow. Now here is the rest of my post. I'm done with this topic as of now, haha. I hope the OP's question was answered, and I hope what I wrote has helped others.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenpar View Post
You should ask this question of the people who live in the Houston metro area, all others need not apply, no offense to anyone. It would be a bit crazy to live in Houston without a car, but it is possible. It all depends on the quality and type of activities you will partake in. I lived in Houston for 21 years without a car, and was fine (I grew up here). As I got older I noticed that I was forced to go to several out of the way places to take care of things. A car comes in handy at those times. That is until I found out about this whole urban living thing, and my life changed. I tried my best to localize almost everything I do (pick a great neighborhood that fits you best). Now I am still going to buy another car, for those out of the way errands. Although, I will ride my bike or catch a bus to anywhere I need to go within a 2 to 5 mile radius of where I live. It beats having to find a parking spot.

Like someone else said, you won't get far dating someone without a car in Houston. Only if you happen to get lucky and find that person. Most women won't go for that in Houston, haha. The other thing is going to places past 10 p.m., without worrying about getting stuck. It is almost impossible to get back to where you live, unless you can get home by taking a Bus on Westheimer or similar routes (the buses run until 1 a.m.). But at these times a car is what you may need, other than a cab that is. My advice is, if your sense of pride is not connected to your vehicle, then you might want to go with a very inexpensive vehicle, just to get around.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2011, 09:05 PM

75 posts, read 164,689 times
One more thing.. If you do go the moped, scooter, motorcycle, car, truck route you will need insurance, plates, registration, inspection. This seems obvious for motorcycles, cars and trucks, but some folks may be misinformed about mopeds and scooters - even some moped and scooter dealers. I know some states don't require all of the above for scooters or mopeds. Texas requires it all - even for scooters and mopeds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheikh.yerbouti View Post
It can be done, but it is a challenge. It does depend on where you work, live, shop, hang out, what you like-to-do.

Public transportation leaves much to be desired, but it is there. Get familiar with METRO - Metropolitan Transit Authority of Harris County, Houston, Texas. Many city buses are equipped with bicycle carriers on the front so you can ride to bus stops and ride when you get off to have a little more range.

Electric bicycles are another option and do not require an operators license if they are rated to go no more than 18 mph. Some kinds of electric bicycles will fit on the city bus bicycle carriers.

The laws regarding bicycles with gasoline powered engines are so convoluted and strange it isn't even worth bothering with in Texas.

Mopeds and Scooters will very likely require an operators license. *Note, if the vehicle qualifies as an electric bicycle under federal law (electric powered and cannot exceed 18 m.p.h.), then it's not considered a motor-vehicle in Texas.

A full motorcycle license is required if the two wheeler in question:

- has more than 2 h.p. (or equivalent in electric kW terms) at the rear wheel;

OR

- has an engine with a displacement of 50cc or more;

OR

- can exceed 29 m.p.h.;

OR

- has a manual transmission;

OR

- is not on the Texas list of vehicles officially recognized as mopeds

If the vehicle qualifies as a moped, then you will need a moped license - motorcycle license with (k) restriction. I believe this means you only need to take the written/computer motorcycle operator exam, not the riding portion or MSF safety course. Full motorcycle license requires passing the MSF safety course and written/computer test.

Two wheeled vehicles have obvious safety disadvantages in addition to lacking air conditioning. Summertime will be rough. Operators of 3+ wheeled enclosed vehicles, a.k.a. "cagers," seem to only grudgingly share the road with two-wheelers and pedestrians.

You may find yourself using a cab in some circumstances. Spend a lot of time studying maps of Houston to help you avoid getting gouged.

Life will be much easier with a car, even a used clunker with A/C, but is not impossible without a car.

Old 08-21-2011, 10:08 PM

1,329 posts, read 3,544,860 times
Quote:
Yes, he is asking in the Houston forum. He should just take the advice from people who currently live in the Houston metro area. Not people that live in Pearland, Sugar Land, Humble, Spring, or anywhere else on the edge of the metro area. It just seems that many of them post on things that have to do with Houston proper. Now one piece of information the OP forgot to give us, is where he or she will be living. If it is outside of the Houston metro area, then my suggestion would have been different.
Not to be pedantic, but I think the term metro area includes the suburbs. I'm thinking that you meant people who live within the City of Houston (~2m people) itself, rather than its metro area (~6m people).

Old 08-22-2011, 07:31 AM

15,982 posts, read 35,215,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
was not being slick at all, if I wanted to I could have changed the words, but I wanted to keep your silliness and then apply it to everyone else that was talking crap. So don't think too much of yourself, it was not meant soley for you.

Furthermore, it does not matter whether you had to or not, you said people who carless are crazy, and in the next breathe you said you did it for 21 years.

Not be calling you crazy bro, you did well with your craziness all by your lonesome

Your exact words:
Saying people are crazy and someone not doing something is crazy have two different meanings. He said the latter and I agree.

Relocating to Houston without a car is not something I'd recommend, but it is possible to live here without one; depending where you live. I've been living here without a car for about 2 years now; I don't like it, but I get by. I like walking; so walking to the store or whatever isn't a problem for it, but it becomes an issue when I need to go far out.

We have a bus system, but it isn't really reliable; they're advancing rail which I think is great because its near where I live and I could really use it.

Old 08-22-2011, 07:42 AM

594 posts, read 1,249,536 times
Quote:

P.S. Anyone can post. I see you failed to realize that we practically said the same things in our posts, but yet you personally attack my character. Good day sir/madam.
Where did I personally attach your character? I just stated that you assumed a lot about some of the posters that offered information.

No names were called and your character was not questioned.

Relax. It's a message board!

Old 08-22-2011, 07:46 AM

15,982 posts, read 35,215,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seoid View Post
Where did I personally attach your character? I just stated that you assumed a lot about some of the posters that offered information.

You don't have to assume when some of these people have stated their locations on the site.

Old 08-22-2011, 08:59 AM

912 posts, read 2,557,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westres1 View Post
near impossible
bolleux

Depending on where you live it's perfectly possible. I sold my 911 some weeks ago and am doing just fine using my bicycle and feet.

Old 08-22-2011, 09:00 AM

594 posts, read 1,249,536 times
Current living locations. My point is that some posters that live in the 'burbs may have lived inside the loop, perhaps without a car, or maybe work in areas where people get by without a car and can offer good advice despite the fact that they may live in Katy or Pearland.

Assuming they don't know what they are talking about because of their home location is still assuming.

Old 08-22-2011, 09:34 AM

Default Criticize my original post, please. Not myself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhang Fei View Post
Not to be pedantic, but I think the term metro area includes the suburbs. I'm thinking that you meant people who live within the City of Houston (~2m people) itself, rather than its metro area (~6m people).
Yes, that is what I meant. I really hope that clears things up. I just simply thought the opinion of someone that lives within the City of Houston would know better what it takes to live here without a car. Once again, no offense to anyone.

Quote:

Sorry, I did assume. The OP didn't give me much information on where he/she was relocating. So for that, I am sorry. Like you said, relax it's just a message board. I really didn't want to take up the last page and a half defending myself on my own point of view, but this is the internetz...

P.S. It would have been nice if the people criticizing what I said, would have actually criticized what I said. It seems most of my post was completely disregarded. Maybe I should write it again, haha.

Old 08-22-2011, 09:38 AM

Thumbs down Is this what this whole thing is about?!

Quote:
Current living locations. My point is that some posters that live in the 'burbs may have lived inside the loop, perhaps without a car, or maybe work in areas where people get by without a car and can offer good advice despite the fact that they may live in Katy or Pearland.

Assuming they don't know what they are talking about because of their home location is still assuming.
I seem to have gotten that point a few posts back. If that is your only point, then I think most of us understood it. I never said that people who lived in the burbs have never lived in the "City of Houston". Sorry for the misunderstanding.

Last edited by Kenpar; 08-22-2011 at 09:39 AM.. Reason: add more
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston