Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2011, 06:41 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,789,353 times

Advertisements

The brown water is simply a result of the sand underneath being brown. No water is blue anywhere where it is only two feet deep. Unless there is dye in the water.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2011, 06:59 PM

8,891 posts, read 19,873,797 times
While not actually blue - you can go to Cancun and it appears clear and turquoise or the Florida panhandle where it is clear and an emerald green.

Old 08-21-2011, 07:13 PM

9,273 posts, read 26,371,842 times
As a native I can honestly say the water and beaches of Galveston are ugly.

I'd rather pay to fly two hours to an amazing beach than drive one and a half to that.

Old 08-22-2011, 08:39 AM

15,982 posts, read 35,037,981 times
The water is brown due to the fact that it's very shallow; which leads to waves churning up more sand and dirty; plus with the runoff of the bayous and Mississippi River. As you move farther out into the gulf; the water becomes more clearer.

Old 08-22-2011, 09:46 AM

2,278 posts, read 1,421,096 times
My major gripe is the seaweed. I hate looking at it, I hate touching it even while wearing shoes. It's creepy and it gives me goosebumps.

Yes, Galveston's beaches are butt ugly. If there's anything that could be done to fix that, I'd like to see it happen. For now it's all we have. Ugly beaches aside, I love Galveston.

Old 08-22-2011, 10:29 AM

8,891 posts, read 19,873,797 times
They could do beach maintenance and clean sweeps of the sand every morning like other tourists resorts do -- most sweep up the seaweed daily - but not us - we revel in it :-)

Old 08-22-2011, 11:45 AM

16,505 posts, read 26,092,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texas7 View Post
They could do beach maintenance and clean sweeps of the sand every morning like other tourists resorts do -- most sweep up the seaweed daily - but not us - we revel in it :-)
That's what I don't understand about it. They just leave it there like its worth something.

Old 08-22-2011, 11:58 AM

Location: Where nothing ever grows. No rain or rivers flow, Texas
1,085 posts, read 1,569,384 times
Quote:

I've been saying that since I got here. There's a beach in the Bronx (NYC) and its pretty awesome compared to Galveston. they just comb it and maybe add some sand. THe Bronx!!

Old 08-22-2011, 12:18 PM

789 posts, read 1,518,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LargeMargeSentMe View Post
My major gripe is the seaweed. I hate looking at it, I hate touching it even while wearing shoes. It's creepy and it gives me goosebumps.

Yes, Galveston's beaches are butt ugly. If there's anything that could be done to fix that, I'd like to see it happen. For now it's all we have. Ugly beaches aside, I love Galveston.
I have to agree with you on this. I love Galveston, for what it is, but I had a slightly bad experience with the seaweed. I went to the beach one day with a girlfriend, and it was everywhere. I tried to avoid it by going in the water, but it, of course, was there too. It felt horrible on my feet, and when the waves would push it up to my calves. That day the seaweed was red, with these seeds/bulbs attached. Itchy and slimy!

Quote:
I had no idea people did this. If there are tools for it, then it is sort of irresponsible for Galveston not to be doing this. They claim they need all the tourist dollars they can get, but neglect the major thing that would bring people back there. Would combing the beach help soften the sand? The sand is mud hard sometimes.

Old 08-22-2011, 12:22 PM

1,668 posts, read 4,685,437 times
They stopped combing the sand & sea weed years ago because experts said it helps build the beaches & dunes.

Agree it looks & feels bad, but I guess it really does offer some protection from smaller storm surges.

The water looks muddy from the silt out of the Mississippi River. It would be nice if they could put some sort of a giant a filter on the river to catch the silt & ship it way out into the Gulf.

Even with the blah beaches, real estate in Galveston is pricey (on the water) & many families own weekend homes & go every weekend.

It's not Puerta Vallarta but at least we have quick access to a beach!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston