Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2011, 08:12 PM

4,760 posts, read 13,825,153 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HookEmTX View Post
I'll take someone going 2 under all day over someone that insists on being 6" from my bumper while we are going 80 so they can get there .3 seconds sooner while increasing our risk of death by about 1000%.
^This, for sure. Foolish, dangerous behavior.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2011, 08:13 PM

18,129 posts, read 25,278,015 times
Quote:
Not true.

And if you're whining about going 63 mph during your commute, move or get a new job. I'll take someone going 2 under all day over someone that insists on being 6" from my bumper while we are going 80 so they can get there .3 seconds sooner while increasing our risk of death by about 1000%.
You want to know what increases everybody's risk of death...
forcing people to pass you on the right lane when they have an emergency
just because Mr. Idon'tgiveawhat thinks nobody show go faster than him on the left lane.

I much rather have people go fast on 1 lane (left lane) and feel safe in the other lanes.

Old 08-29-2011, 08:29 PM

12 posts, read 17,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
You want to know what increases everybody's risk of death...
forcing people to pass you on the right lane when they have an emergency
just because Mr. Idon'tgiveawhat thinks nobody show go faster than him on the left lane.

I much rather have people go fast on 1 lane (left lane) and feel safe in the other lanes.
We have this service called 911 for emergencies.

Old 08-29-2011, 08:39 PM

9,221 posts, read 15,952,147 times
Quote:
Not true.

And if you're whining about going 63 mph during your commute, move or get a new job. I'll take someone going 2 under all day over someone that insists on being 6" from my bumper while we are going 80 so they can get there .3 seconds sooner while increasing our risk of death by about 1000%.
Quote:
Wow. You never know what kind of emergency someone is in. You never know what someone is rushing to and why they are rushing. Get off your high horse. Even if I'm going 80, if there is space for me in the lane to my right, I'll move over and let someone pass me. What's so hard about that?

Old 08-29-2011, 10:02 PM

563 posts, read 910,191 times
Quote:
Not true.

Quote:
I can assure everyone on this thread that THIS is the kind of driver that plays Johnny Law in the fast lane trying to police everybody's speed by doing the speed limit or under.

This poster has NEVER, EVER, EVER, EVER, taken a vehicle 80mph. This guy was doing 58 in a 60 in the fast lane (not 80) and REFUSED to get over because he "thought" some "maniac" (i.e., the driver doing 60) was riding his butt.

Last edited by MobileDave; 08-29-2011 at 10:10 PM..

Old 08-29-2011, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MobileDave View Post
I can assure everyone on this thread that THIS is the kind of driver that plays Johnny Law in the fast lane trying to police everybody's speed by doing the speed limit or under.

This poster has NEVER, EVER, EVER, EVER, taken a vehicle 80mph. This guy was doing 58 in a 60 in the fast lane (not 80) and REFUSED to get over because he "thought" some "maniac" (i.e., the driver doing 60) was riding his butt.
You need to relax. The difference between going 63 and 80 on your commute is minimal. You also cause a lot of wear and tear on your car mashing the gas and brakes continuously.

Old 08-29-2011, 11:03 PM

563 posts, read 910,191 times
Quote:
You need to relax. The difference between going 63 and 80 on your commute is minimal. You also cause a lot of wear and tear on your car mashing the gas and brakes continuously.
I actually drive in the far right lanes because that is where cars going the speed limit or under belong. I would like for you to name a freeway in the city of Houston where the posted speed limit actually matches the flow of traffic... You can't. Most of the time the flow of traffic (the speed at which 99% of the cars are going) is 5-10mph over the posted limit.

Someone like you will get into the fast lane (a lane at which people are going faster than the flow of traffic) and cause the people behind you to slow down and wait to get into the closest right lane in order to pass you. This causes an overflow of traffic in the center lanes (lanes at which people are going with the flow of traffic) because the now slower left lane traffic has to pull out in front of the faster center lane traffic... effectively limiting a 4 lane highway to 3 lanes, and making all of the people behind you victims of your childish antics.

Last edited by MobileDave; 08-29-2011 at 11:32 PM..

Old 08-29-2011, 11:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MobileDave View Post
I actually drive in the far right lanes because that is where cars going the speed limit or under belong. I would like for you to name a freeway in the city of Houston where the posted speed limit actually matches the flow of traffic... You can't. Most of the time the flow of traffic (the speed at which 99% of the cars are going) is 5-10mph over the posted limit.

Someone like you will get into the fast lane (a lane at which people are going faster than the flow of traffic) and cause the people behind you to slow down and wait to get into the closest right lane in order to pass you. This causes an overflow of traffic in the center lanes (lanes at which people are going with the flow of traffic) because the now slower left lane traffic has to pull out in front of the faster center lane traffic... effectively limiting a 4 lane highway to 3 lanes, and making all of the people on the highway behind you victims of your childish antics.
Sorry that you consider a safe and legal speed on a crowded highway "childish." Perhaps you could wake up 5 minutes earlier so you don't have to weave in and out of traffic like a madman?

Old 08-30-2011, 05:09 AM

9,221 posts, read 15,952,147 times
Quote:
Sorry that you consider a safe and legal speed on a crowded highway "childish." Perhaps you could wake up 5 minutes earlier so you don't have to weave in and out of traffic like a madman?
Maybe you don't understand traffic flow? That's what it feels like. You'd get pulled over and given a ticket if you do this in China. In Germany, they would revoke your driver's license. Driver's Ed really needs to teach these drivers about traffic flow. Our lives on the freeways would be made so much easier without idiots hogging the left lane thinking they are doing something. Have you ever thought of looking in your rearview and seeing the mess you cause? I was just on a two lane each direction freeway in DFW, and two cars though it was fun to drive side by side with each other. Traffic was about 8 cars deep behind each. People had to start using the emergency lane/shoulder to get around. The guy in the front of the car started braking (I'm guessing because someone was "riding his ass" but he was in the left lane), which kept causing chain reactions all the way through. What you do is at the bottom of the video. Look at how clogged traffic is:

Freeway Driving Simulation.flv - YouTube

Learn about traffic flow and you'd make everyone around you happier. You're the kind of driver that causes road rage and accidents behind you. If you would get off your high horse and move over, everyone would just pass you on the left. You think you're the only one that payed for the freeway with your taxes, or what?

Old 08-30-2011, 08:27 AM

23,177 posts, read 12,213,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cla View Post
1. There are a large number of people who do not know that the left lane is for passing only.
2. There are a large number of people who know, but don't care because they think it is their right to do whatever they want.
3. There are a large number of people who know, but think it is their duty to police speeders by driving in the fast lane at or below the speed limit (not realizing that this is a more dangerous practice than speeding).
4. Then there are the people who are oblivious to everything going on around them because they are on their cell phone.

And although it is a state law to use the left lane for passing, I have never seen anyone pulled over for driving slow in the left lane, but if I were a cop for a day.......
That isn't practical in a metropolitan area. The daily load on most freeways already exceeds the design capacity of ALL lanes. If we enforced that law strictly in Houston every freeway would lock up solid from sunup to sundown.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston