Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2011, 09:13 PM

4,760 posts, read 13,825,153 times

Advertisements

Interesting article from this weekend's Chronicle:

Woodlands a haven for Mexican entrepreneurs - Houston Chronicle
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2011, 09:40 PM

Location: Where nothing ever grows. No rain or rivers flow, Texas
1,085 posts, read 1,580,834 times
hmm that doesnt sound good anyway you read it. Then again, Houstonians are always competing with each other in 'I survived this & that...before I came to this upscale neighborhood. In the nick of time too" stories

Old 08-28-2011, 10:10 PM

4,760 posts, read 13,825,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimBomb View Post
hmm that doesnt sound good anyway you read it.
Well, the good part for Texas is this: "They come here and bring their wealth and they start creating more wealth."

Old 08-29-2011, 07:13 AM

1,110 posts, read 2,584,814 times
Things in Mexico for wealthy people are not good. Constant threats and kidnappings. They have a good reason to move. Fortunatley they are good bunch of people, I've seen them shopping in the malls, and the general woodlands shopping area. I'm mexican myself, and these people are educated and not leftovers (no offense intended). So they bring their wealth and have the mindset of being successful.
There is also a lot of people from Argentina, Brazil, Etc... Not just Mexico.

Old 08-29-2011, 07:21 AM

8,376 posts, read 30,697,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by a_guerrajr View Post
Things in Mexico for wealthy people are not good. Constant threats and kidnappings. They have a good reason to move. Fortunatley they are good bunch of people, I've seen them shopping in the malls, and the general woodlands shopping area. I'm mexican myself, and these people are educated and not leftovers (no offense intended). So they bring their wealth and have the mindset of being successful.
Do they scoff at the idea of becoming a US citizen? So far that has been my observation, much more often than not.

Old 08-29-2011, 07:48 AM

8,227 posts, read 11,143,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tstone View Post
Do they scoff at the idea of becoming a US citizen? So far that has been my observation, much more often than not.
Then they need to stay in their own countries. I hope the people they're trying to escape from don't start following these pepole here.

Old 08-29-2011, 08:19 AM

12,735 posts, read 21,774,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by a_guerrajr View Post
Now my whole mindset about Mexicans has changed. People made Mexicans seem like roaches or pests, and unfortunately, I've fed into that because here, I don't see alot of wealthy Mexicans. Thanks for sharing that with us!

Old 08-29-2011, 09:07 AM

2,639 posts, read 8,287,717 times
They should stay and help their Country get control of the cartels. If the wealthiest Mexicans dessert their Country who will be left? If they stayed and demand that their Government invest in infastructure like water plants and schools it would provide jobs and an economy not based on drugs. They dont want the lowest majority to be educated or have money and opportunity.

Old 08-29-2011, 09:46 AM

1,110 posts, read 2,584,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tstone View Post
Not sure. Some of them come with pride to be a citizen of Mexico or other south American countries. They tend not to like to become a citizen because they lose all rights from their home. For example my in-laws came from Mexico, my father in law owned a taxi service, is a doctor(or was in mx, no longer here because everything isn't valid), they came a little over 10 years ago, and he just now got around to obtaining his citizenship. I think its more of them establishing a life in this new country and coming to a conclusion that this is their new home. They did well, my wife went to A&M, my bro in law is in UT, the other bro in law is planning to go to Rice. They pay their taxes, insurance, and give money to the economy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by westres1 View Post
They should stay and help their Country get control of the cartels. If the wealthiest Mexicans dessert their Country who will be left? If they stayed and demand that their Government invest in infastructure like water plants and schools it would provide jobs and an economy not based on drugs. They dont want the lowest majority to be educated or have money and opportunity.
the country as a whole is not wealthy enough to create all these essential things, like expensive infrastructure. they do what they can to get by and unfortunately resort to drugs since is a profitable source for them. That and risking their lives to come across. I wouldn't judge their school system, they are very smart and well educated.

The ones you have to watch out for, and i mean this in the most neutral intent. Are central americans (El Salvador, Honduras, Guatemala, ETC...) They are much less educated, and intelligent culture. I say this from observing, and personally knowing people, they are much different than Mexicans, especially educated/wealthy ones at that.

Old 08-29-2011, 09:50 AM

2,639 posts, read 8,287,717 times
What school system? Only the wealthiest Mexicans go to school. Our Church built the only school within a hundred miles for a village in Mexico.
Its a class system
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston