Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2011, 04:13 PM

5,429 posts, read 14,842,829 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by adeltagirl View Post
So noone has mentioned Pheasant Creek Subdivision...What is the story if any??? the listing for schools just says Fort Bend ISD...
The schools according to Greatschools are actually pretty good. is there something that I should know...
The high school (Austin High) is excellent, the other schools are pretty good too from what I know. I think the cheaper prices have to do with the older, smaller homes and not being in city limits. Not sure how their amenities are either. From there you'd use Hwy 90 all the way in or Hwy 90 to Hwy 59. If the budget allows, there are nicer (newer with larger homes) neighborhoods elsewhere in the area.

Quote:
the pics were wonderful!!! and yest I noticed how far New Territory is....
Guessing I'll be researching Greatwood further. and yes a drive through these neighborhoods is a MUST do when I come for my 3rd interview...
Greatwood is just as far out. Greatwood, River Park, and New Territory West are all about as far out as you can get in Sugar Land. Of those, I think New Territory is the best.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2011, 08:59 PM

208 posts, read 552,343 times
Quote:
So noone has mentioned Pheasant Creek Subdivision...What is the story if any??? the listing for schools just says Fort Bend ISD...
The schools according to Greatschools are actually pretty good. is there something that I should know...
You are looking at ratings based on how many students passed the TAKS. This does not mean anything that is why the state test is changing because, so many students are not prepared for college in this state. You don't know how good the school is unless you are in it. Every teacher regardless of neighborhood is teaching to the test, so subjects like English (important for college) there is limited instructions, in Social Studies, and Science as well. Focus on subjects is MORE EMPHASIZED when the state test comes around. It should be criminal for teachers to pass students with a 70 on a test after they failed it then corrected the mistakes. This is absurb, but I guess this must be tied into state funding by making the numbers look good.

Old 09-13-2011, 09:31 PM

105 posts, read 375,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 350days View Post
You are looking at ratings based on how many students passed the TAKS. This does not mean anything that is why the state test is changing because, so many students are not prepared for college in this state. You don't know how good the school is unless you are in it. Every teacher regardless of neighborhood is teaching to the test, so subjects like English (important for college) there is limited instructions, in Social Studies, and Science as well. Focus on subjects is MORE EMPHASIZED when the state test comes around. It should be criminal for teachers to pass students with a 70 on a test after they failed it then corrected the mistakes. This is absurb, but I guess this must be tied into state funding by making the numbers look good.
your post seems a bit "hostile" as opposed to helpful..I'm more interested in advice and relevant input, not engaging in a debate on the lack of accuracy of a schools status based on statewide standardized achievement tests.... IJS

Old 09-14-2011, 08:42 AM

469 posts, read 1,101,096 times
Quote:
your post seems a bit "hostile" as opposed to helpful..I'm more interested in advice and relevant input, not engaging in a debate on the lack of accuracy of a schools status based on statewide standardized achievement tests.... IJS
Thats her agenda on here. Both Sugar Land and Pearland have very good schools. I would personally go with Sugar Land due to it being a more mature area in terms of development. The ride up Hwy 90 to the Med Center is not a bad ride. You will hit a little bit of traffic trying to get under the 610 overpass but then its smooth sailing until you can cut over to Fannin right past the stadium.

Also, I go to Pearland a bunch for different things and its almost always a pain to get around there. Traffic on the surface roads is usually backed up as you try to go from one side of 288 to the next.

Old 09-14-2011, 05:26 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,916,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liljo22 View Post
Thats her agenda on here. Both Sugar Land and Pearland have very good schools. I would personally go with Sugar Land due to it being a more mature area in terms of development. The ride up Hwy 90 to the Med Center is not a bad ride. You will hit a little bit of traffic trying to get under the 610 overpass but then its smooth sailing until you can cut over to Fannin right past the stadium.

Also, I go to Pearland a bunch for different things and its almost always a pain to get around there. Traffic on the surface roads is usually backed up as you try to go from one side of 288 to the next.
Try using Southfork or Bailey Road rather than 518. The traffic is much better going from one side of 288 to the other on these roads. The speed limit is less though.

Old 09-14-2011, 11:35 PM

208 posts, read 552,343 times
Quote:
You don't see this as relevant information? The term how good something is is a subjective term. It is a mistake to depend on the opinion of ours on a message board to determine where you will move. There is information available that is objective then soliciting the opinion of strangers on the internet on where you should move. What someone considers as good may not mean the same to you.

Old 09-15-2011, 08:12 AM

105 posts, read 375,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 350days View Post
You don't see this as relevant information? The term how good something is is a subjective term. It is a mistake to depend on the opinion of ours on a message board to determine where you will move. There is information available that is objective then soliciting the opinion of strangers on the internet on where you should move. What someone considers as good may not mean the same to you.

have a good day....

Old 09-15-2011, 08:27 AM

551 posts, read 1,574,280 times
@wheretogo- We live in Pearland which is in Brazoria County but this part of the county does not have higher homeowner rates due to being a coastal community. Rates are based on the value of your home only. Also, flood insurance is not required though many recommend it. Rates have gone up since Hurriance IKE though!

Old 09-15-2011, 09:12 AM

19 posts, read 41,567 times
Quote:
So is Pearland REALLY 15 minutes from Texas Medical Center..??? I'm too preparing for a huge move to Houston coming from suburban Chicago though. Apparently Sugar Land (my area of choice) is almost 40 minutes from TEXAS medical center (my new job) and I cannot handle a commute that long....

To be honest, I think Sugarland is OVERRATED. The traffic on hwy 6 sucks especially now since some brilliant genius decided we needed medians in the middle of the roads when everything was fine the way it was. Worst traffic times on hwy 6 is mornings going westbound from about 6:30 til 9am and from about 3 pm to 7 pm going eastbound. I live in Fresno which is in between Sugarland and Pearland and I have to say, Pearland wins hands down between the too. I am literally in Pearland everyday. Love the shopping on broadway. Everything is conveniently located within a mile or two on Broadway/518 in Pearland. Grocery shopping (HEB, Walmart, Target, Randalls, Krogers, and FoodTown a few extra miles down the road). You have the mall that is not like a traditional "big box" mall, it is more like an outdoor mall and even has condos located within the mall strip. Don't get me wrong, traffic can get a little congested there, but it is not too bad considering the traffic in Houston is worst and Broadway is a 6 lane street; 3 in each direction.

Hwy 288 traffic in the mornings from Pearland can get pretty backed up sometimes leading up to the Beltway 8, but it is nowhere near as bad as Hwy 59 coming out of Sugarland. I avoid 59 like the plague, especially during the hours of 4-7 pm. OMG, traffic is almost at a stand still. One time it took me nearly 1 1/2 to 2 hours just to drive about 10-15 miles down hwy 59 from 610 to hwy 6 going south bound. Ever since, I've vowed to NEVER take that way home again; you're better off driving through the streets of Houston to get home. Hwy 288 going south bound from 610 is bad too in the evening. Like I said before, it is not nearly as bad, but it is a little congested up until you reach the BW 8 then it starts to thin up, but the next exit after the BW is a little heavy because that is Broadway/518 where most people get off at.

I personally live in Fresno. I've been here for almost 6 years and on my side of Teal Run it is very quiet. A drive to the medical center from here would be a better alternative than Sugarland as well. Fresno is literally 1/2 mile from Missouri City, and only 1 1/2 miles from where the Fort Bend Toll Rd starts. It is a $1.25 one way on the toll with an EZ Tag only though to the BW then another $1 if you wanted to get off at Hwy 90. Total time from Fresno to Hwy 90 in the mornings taking this route is about 8 - 9 minutes. Also, Ft Bend Toll Rd is NEVER congested.

Good Luck and Welcome to the Houston Suburbs!

Old 09-15-2011, 09:32 AM

19 posts, read 41,567 times
Quote:
thanks for the info!!! I researched Sugar land to death thinking that's where I'd end up but I really am not willing to sit in my car with such a ridiculous commute.
I'm interviewing with Memorial Hermann and hope to visit soon.
I enjoy getting home in 15 minutes, getting homework done and dinner before 9pm. Commuting time is a huge factor for me.

Ideally I'd like to spend max $2000 for a house to rent for a year until I get my feel of the area then I'll have to decide where to purchase.
I'd like to take advantage of nice public schools and a very safe neighborhood.
I'll continue to research Meyerland though...I'm guessing Sugar Land is out of the running at this point.

Any others??? Missouri City?? What's the good and the bad??

If you decide on Missouri City, I would look at Sienna Plantation. I personally know some people from my church who works in the medical center that lives there and you still have access to the Fort Bend Toll Rd. They are a little picky about who goes into their schools though. The surrounding smaller towns, Fresno, Arcola, Rosharon kids all are made to go to the overcrowed Lake Olympia Middle School because they don't want them in their neighborhood school (Sienna Middle School). A little snooty if you as me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston