Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2011, 11:48 AM

121 posts, read 240,546 times

Advertisements

I'll post pics of the entire area..good and the bad with explanations/detailed info tonight.

1st off..If you're looking for an investment property to flip or keep in the future..this is a good area for that. Like most people know its in the process of gentrification. Most of the current residents will be out of there within the next 10 years or less. So u know the saying "buy when theres blood in the streets"...so buying land now would turn a nice profit in the next 5-10 years. with the new dynamo stadium and the metro rail going thru Eastwood, its going to be a hot spot in the future.

But if you plan on living there now..just be careful where you buy and keep a watchful eye when ur out..Its not dangerously flooded with crime like it was in the late 1990's and early 2000's but its not great either.

Eastwood consists of 2 zipcodes really..77023 and 77011.

Run each with the Texas sex offenders and there are 142 REGISTERED sex offenders in that area. Kinda scary i know. And theres 3 Elem schools in the area:Lantrip,Cage and Burnett..1 middle school:Jackson..and 1 High School: Austin..and a High School charter school:Eastwood Academy. But again..in 5-10 years hopefully most of them offenders will have moved on to other areas.

The area youth are a mixed bag.. You have the poor and underprivileged kids who are basically either cool or up to no good. Then you have the gang members and drug users/sellers. More users then gang members to be honest..Gangs here arent major problems here anymore but they do exist but again, i really wouldnt worry about them as much as the drug users.sellers. Drug use..its constant and in alot of Eastwood..So is selling..There's several Houses that are selling out of the front door. And when i say several i mean over 10+. Some have been in business for over 5-10 years. I dont know why they arent brought down as its pretty common knowledge through out the area of whos selling. Only way this creates a problem is constant traffic and troublemaker crowds in the area since the major drug being sold/moved there is marijuana..So no crack heads walking around..or major killings over kilos of coke or anything like that.

The crime there constant but not everyday..it consists of assaults and burglaries/car/home break ins mostly...if theres a murder/killing, its usually a high profile one every now and then..but thats most areas right..

Like the owner Mike,rip, who was killed along with another employee 2 summers ago. Just across the street from Maxwell House in broad daylight.

2 Die In Convenience Store Shooting - Houston News Story - KPRC Houston (http://www.click2houston.com/news/19645094/detail.html - broken link)

And i cant forget last xmas's shootout where the owner, Ramon Castillo, got into a shootout with 3 robbers and killed 2 of them..they deserved it.

HPD identifies 2 of 3 robbers killed in jewelry store shootout - Houston Chronicle

Of course there's several others that didnt make the news..like i cant find anything on the body of the man they found in the bike trail. He was dismembered somewhat and left in a bag.Sickening i know..

I know im painting a horrible picture but the HARD TRUTH is better in my opinion than no truth. Again this area is in the process of going thru some Major changes..its changed drastically since around 2000 when there were drive by's every weekend..cops chasing somebody all the time..helicopters..gangs on top off gangs....but the problems are still lingering.. but again in 5-10 years this area could see a complete 180 turn with major profits in real estate.

I was born and raised in the area. Much of family and friends still live in the area so im in it practically every day. What i posted is what i KNOW and SEE. These arent assumptions or views based on the old days...There are several nice sections throughout with SUPER NICE Homes..but again, your going to be surrounded with the above mentioned. If you can tought it out, its going to be worth it in the long run. But again..just be careful.

Ill post pics tonight if possible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2011, 12:34 PM

1,650 posts, read 3,803,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TxHustla View Post
Most of the current residents will be out of there within the next 10 years or less.
I bet it takes at least twice that amount of time.
Maybe before the economy went belly up and real estate was going crazy, that would have been true.

Old 10-11-2011, 12:54 PM

2,628 posts, read 8,831,829 times
First off, if you think Eastwood extends into 77011 you are mistaken. ALL of Eastwood is limited to 77023. NOTHING in 77011 is Eastwood. Just because Eastwood street runs through it, it ain't necessarily Eastwood. I've been on the other side of Harrisburg before and what you describe, well, I can totally see happening over there but not in Eastwood proper.

Secondly, I know too many people in Eastwood to know that the high crime you are trying to say exists there, simply does not. The stats also bear out this ancedotal evidence. I am in and out of that neighborhood several times a week and have not dealt with troublesome kids, gangs, etc., although I am sure there is some degree of that just like there is probably a few everywhere.

This weekend is the home tour, people can throw their hubcaps in the trunk, bring their mace, and see how unsafe it is for themselves. From looking at the list, some of the homes extend beyond the boundaries of Eastwood itself, I saw one over in Jackson Court. So people can see around there for themselves.

Eastwood is a transitional neighborhood that is not going to appeal to everyone. It is not a one-size-fits-all neighborhood. It is also not a high crime area with gangs and drug houses running rampant.

Old 10-11-2011, 01:06 PM

40 posts, read 83,075 times
Here are the boundaires of Eastwood:

Inner blue line: Eastwood proper
Outer blue line: Included in the Eastwood Civic Association.

Old 10-11-2011, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by d2mini View Post
I bet it takes at least twice that amount of time.
Maybe before the economy went belly up and real estate was going crazy, that would have been true.
possibly true..but the city is still building and building and the more they do, the higher the property taxes are going to go. Not to mention police patrol and their tolerance for violence/crimes should drop since they will need to protect their assests/investments. This should eventually drive most of the current residents out. How long will it take? who knows..but im still shooting for 5-10 years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by modster View Post
First off, if you think Eastwood extends into 77011 you are mistaken. ALL of Eastwood is limited to 77023. NOTHING in 77011 is Eastwood. Just because Eastwood street runs through it, it ain't necessarily Eastwood. I've been on the other side of Harrisburg before and what you describe, well, I can totally see happening over there but not in Eastwood proper.

Secondly, I know too many people in Eastwood to know that the high crime you are trying to say exists there, simply does not. The stats also bear out this ancedotal evidence. I am in and out of that neighborhood several times a week and have not dealt with troublesome kids, gangs, etc., although I am sure there is some degree of that just like there is probably a few everywhere.

This weekend is the home tour, people can throw their hubcaps in the trunk, bring their mace, and see how unsafe it is for themselves. From looking at the list, some of the homes extend beyond the boundaries of Eastwood itself, I saw one over in Jackson Court. So people can see around there for themselves.

Eastwood is a transitional neighborhood that is not going to appeal to everyone. It is not a one-size-fits-all neighborhood. It is also not a high crime area with gangs and drug houses running rampant.
Quote:
Originally Posted by archangelus2 View Post
Here are the boundaires of Eastwood:

Inner blue line: Eastwood proper
Outer blue line: Included in the Eastwood Civic Association.

I like how you guys keeping saying its not "Eastwood" thats bad but the areas outside of yet..yet "Eastwood" is dead center of the these areas LOL

U can try to twist it however u want but the truth is the truth. But it makes sense to me now. YOU guys are promoting home tours and civic club associations so who has the hidden agenda here? It's not me. Stop lying to the people. Stop sugar coating it. If somebody is after sales and $$$, its almost guaranteed you wont get all the information for a reason. It would affect their pocket too much if they told ya the truth.

Modster says "Eastwood" doesnt extend into the 77011 zip code..yet on archangelus2's map..it clearly shows it does. Funny.

So here again i post facts and you're either spreading lies or simply speaking on things you really dont know about....Thats interesting to me.

Old 10-11-2011, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by modster View Post
Since you're acting like 77011 is the bad area and 77023 is not...

remember the registered sex offender figures..77023 has 79..while ur troubled 77011 which u refuse to admit is part of the Eastwood community has 63. LOL

Facts and Numbers is what im about.

Old 10-11-2011, 01:28 PM

847 posts, read 1,751,705 times

Old 10-11-2011, 01:30 PM

1,416 posts, read 4,438,204 times
Quote:
Run each with the Texas sex offenders and there are 142 REGISTERED sex offenders in that area. Kinda scary i know. And theres 3 Elem schools in the area:Lantrip,Cage and Burnett..1 middle school:Jackson..and 1 High School: Austin..and a High School charter school:Eastwood Academy. But again..in 5-10 years hopefully most of them offenders will have moved on to other areas.
Burnett? I don't recall that being a school Eastwood kids are zoned to.

How many offenders are in Eastwood proper? You have a very broad definition of Eastwood. If I attached the same broad definition to, say, the Heights, I would be practically to the north loop, and I'm sure the people who live in the Heights wouldn't appreciate that...because it isn't accurate.

Quote:
The area youth are a mixed bag.. You have the poor and underprivileged kids who are basically either cool or up to no good. Then you have the gang members and drug users/sellers. More users then gang members to be honest..Gangs here arent major problems here anymore but they do exist but again, i really wouldnt worry about them as much as the drug users.sellers. Drug use..its constant and in alot of Eastwood..So is selling..There's several Houses that are selling out of the front door. And when i say several i mean over 10+. Some have been in business for over 5-10 years. I dont know why they arent brought down as its pretty common knowledge through out the area of whos selling. Only way this creates a problem is constant traffic and troublemaker crowds in the area since the major drug being sold/moved there is marijuana..So no crack heads walking around..or major killings over kilos of coke or anything like that.
How much of this goes on in Eastwood proper? I'm sure we would all love to have block and streets so we can better prepare ourselves for the drive-bys.

Quote:
Like the owner Mike,rip, who was killed along with another employee 2 summers ago. Just across the street from Maxwell House in broad daylight.
2 Die In Convenience Store Shooting - Houston News Story - KPRC Houston (http://www.click2houston.com/news/19645094/detail.html - broken link)
Not in Eastwood

Quote:
And i cant forget last xmas's shootout where the owner, Ramon Castillo, got into a shootout with 3 robbers and killed 2 of them..they deserved it.

HPD identifies 2 of 3 robbers killed in jewelry store shootout - Houston Chronicle
Not in Eastwood...there are very few businesses in the neighborhood, it is deed-restricted residential.

Quote:
Of course there's several others that didnt make the news..like i cant find anything on the body of the man they found in the bike trail. He was dismembered somewhat and left in a bag.Sickening i know..
I don't recall there being a bike trail in Eastwood. Where exactly is it?

Quote:
I know im painting a horrible picture but the HARD TRUTH is better in my opinion than no truth. Again this area is in the process of going thru some Major changes..its changed drastically since around 2000 when there were drive by's every weekend..cops chasing somebody all the time..helicopters..gangs on top off gangs....but the problems are still lingering.. but again in 5-10 years this area could see a complete 180 turn with major profits in real estate.

I was born and raised in the area. Much of family and friends still live in the area so im in it practically every day. What i posted is what i KNOW and SEE. These arent assumptions or views based on the old days...There are several nice sections throughout with SUPER NICE Homes..but again, your going to be surrounded with the above mentioned. If you can tought it out, its going to be worth it in the long run. But again..just be careful.

Ill post pics tonight if possible.
Please do post pics. And just to clarify (again), residents who live in the neighborhood called Eastwood don't dispute that there are homes and blocks that need a lot of work. We all have neighbors we wish would sell out and let those interested in the gentrification come in. There are absentee landlords, plenty with lots of money who are just in it to make a buck, and that's a shame. Those are things that aren't in dispute. But to throw around strong language about problems that lie outside its boundaries, and then say they are in the neighborhood, is being factually incorrect. If you want to attach block and street names to where the problems lie, then that would be great, and we would all learn a little more. Otherwise, this isn't any different than city versus suburb, or new house versus old, or any other discussion where each side has their perspective and proceed to just talk past each other.

Old 10-11-2011, 01:35 PM

1,416 posts, read 4,438,204 times
Quote:
Since you're acting like 77011 is the bad area and 77023 is not...

remember the registered sex offender figures..77023 has 79..while ur troubled 77011 which u refuse to admit is part of the Eastwood community has 63. LOL

Facts and Numbers is what im about.
If you were all about facts and figures, you would filter down the numbers to the boundaries of neighborhood you are attempting to educate about. 77023 is a large zip code. I'm sure Idylwood residents, also in 77023, aren't being told that there are 79 offenders in their neighborhood. Are they all in Eastwood?

Quote:
Modster says "Eastwood" doesnt extend into the 77011 zip code..yet on archangelus2's map..it clearly shows it does. Funny.
That's not what the map shows. You can split hairs all day long, but the boundaries are the smaller area, and that's what you purport to being educating people on. The civic association encompasses a considerably larger area that isn't actually part of the neighborhood, but a collection of other neighborhoods whose community leaders have similar goals. Different or no restrictions on land use, different residents, and probably different paths back to prosperity. Just like a super neighborhood isn't all the same neighborhood.

Yes, we obviously come from a different perspective than you. Most of us haven't been in the area since the "bad old days." We moved in in the past 10 years attracted by cool old homes, proximity to everything, and great prices. We don't remember about having to have bars on windows, or fences around front yards, etc. There are things we like, and times we wish we could pick up the house and move it to Upper Kirby (at three times the price, of course).

Last edited by travelguy_73; 10-11-2011 at 01:45 PM..

Old 10-11-2011, 01:37 PM

1,408 posts, read 4,053,581 times
The above maps looks about right. Most of the crime that the OP talks about is on the other side of Harrisburg. Eastwood is just 1 zip code, not 2. Eastwood proper is a real nice area with 100 year old oak trees lining the streets with homes sitting back a little further than the surrounding areas. You can almost immediately tell the difference between Eastwood proper and the other areas.

Every area has crime. Sugarland has had home invasions and thefts, Pearland has them, Woodlands has them. I'm sure every nice suburb has robberies and other crimes. It's kind of silly to isolate a couple incidents that happened a few years ago, not sure what the point of that was. No one is saying that crime doesn't happen in Eastwood or any area. It's not as if the suburbs have zero incidents. If I remember correctly, Montrose has a pretty high crime rate. I even remember some home break-ins in River Oaks sometime last year. It happens. Funny though that both links you provided are of crime happening outside of Eastwood proper. Sure it's close by, but I think most of that is feed by the other side of Harrisburg, not the west side of it. One street really makes a big difference when living inside the loop, especially in gentrifying areas.

I posted this comment in the other thread and it fits in here nicely. So I'll just copy and paste it below.

See, I think that's where the problem is. You think the Eastwood we are talking about encompasses the other side of Harrisburg. When in fact, I don't think anyone considers that section Eastwood. Is it even technically Eastwood? That side IS hood. I've seen it, but rarely ever venture that way. The Eastwood we talk about is more West. From Leeland, to Polk to Mckinney, to the tracks. I think Eastwood park is at the very edge of Eastwood and probably very close to the rougher sections which are on the other side of Harrisburg.

I understand what you are saying. But it's the city. It's like saying that Woodlands Heights ($300k+) in 77009 is dangerous because a few blocks to the East you have homes in the $40k-$80k range with very likely drug happenings. Or like saying that Oak Forest ($250k+) and Garden Oaks ($300k+) are dangerous because the other side of Yale is very bad,(VERY BAD.) Both examples have a difference of less than a quarter mile or less between the good and bad. Areas like off Washington in 77007 are littered with small shacks and can easily house drugs, but then right next door you have $300k+ townhomes.

It's the city and that's just the way transitional areas are. It's not for everyone, but it definitely works for many people. Just look at the appreciation in those areas and compare them to the suburbs. It's all about personal opinion. The city is big and there are choices for everyone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston