Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2011, 11:49 PM

206 posts, read 483,595 times

Advertisements

So what are the typical price differences (by %) when deciding on the same exact house, with one being an inventory home vs having one built?

For example, an inventory home is available now and we like it, but there maybe factors keeping us from getting it now. If we decide to build the exact same house in say 6 months, how much more would it cost, hypothetically. Talking about a new home listed at roughly $275K now.

Thanks for your inputs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2011, 09:37 AM

4,900 posts, read 13,732,304 times
All I know is that inventory list prices are seriously inflated. For example we were building a house new for 230k but had to walk away, they dropped about 10k in our optional upgrades when they built it and they listed it at 260k. The house we ended up buying which was an inventory they had listed for 280k and we got it for 250k which was still probably 10k over but so it goes.

Old 09-05-2011, 09:39 AM

1,290 posts, read 5,436,539 times
You will most likely get a better price on an inventory home than building on a contract. A builder, especially if the house has been sitting and they want to open up cash flow, will often make a good deal on an inventory house. They are not going to do the same thing on a contract to build.

Old 09-05-2011, 10:03 AM

4,246 posts, read 12,023,066 times
Save the thousands and get an inventory home. And only buy if it's thousands less than the others in the neighborhood.

Old 09-05-2011, 10:04 AM

18,127 posts, read 25,272,176 times
Inventory is really bad for banks or builders.
It's money sitting there not doing anything, when they could easily have those $200,000 making money in a bank, stocks, mutual funds, etc.

That's why they tend to be cheaper.

Old 09-05-2011, 11:09 AM

9,053 posts, read 17,193,859 times
Both are over-priced - but inventory is a better bargain.

They only have lot value tied up in the ones not built yet. Inventory is sitting around costing them. They will negotiate a LOT better on inventory.

Old 09-05-2011, 11:22 PM

2,465 posts, read 5,790,939 times
Inventory is the way to go but it depends a lot on how hungry the builder is, and how many lots and house does the builder have siting around. Is very important to have your home work done and use it to you own advantage. When I got my house I started to negotiate on an inventory and see how far/low the builder can go. When we agreed on a price I switched on them last minute (or walk) and choose to go with a new build. It was a very dirty tactic in my part but we signed the contract that very hour. The fact that I was pre-aproved by the bank did help a great deal. End up paying $104/SF on what usually sells for $145/SF in that neighborhood. My wife never goes negotiating with me. She thinks I am ruthless... The way I look at it, if you don't try you never know... Besides you don't loose anything if you don't have any emotional baggage

Old 09-07-2011, 06:49 AM

1,110 posts, read 2,584,536 times
Inventory, usually builder put nice upgrades in them and sell almost for base price.
Only draw back is the lot is usually a typical one, and that could be a deal breaker for people.

Old 09-07-2011, 06:55 AM

3,333 posts, read 9,171,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
Inventory is really bad for banks or builders.
It's money sitting there not doing anything, when they could easily have those $200,000 making money in a bank, stocks, mutual funds, etc.

That's why they tend to be cheaper.
That's not exactly true. The banks make a nice spread on the homebuilder line which is a better return than on stocks, bonds, and other holdings. Given the risk profiles and returns, the bank would rather have the money out on a homebuilder line of credit.

So, from the bank's perspective, it certainly isn't "really bad" and can't be dubbed as money just sitting there "doing nothing".

Just sayin'...

Ronnie

Old 09-07-2011, 07:21 AM

1,650 posts, read 3,802,587 times
Yes, you are most likely going to find a move-in-ready home for cheaper than one yet to be built, but builders are offering all kinds of deals on new builds, like premium lots and thousands of dollars in upgrades, all for under list base price. It has not been a good year for new homes. I'd rather get exactly what i want than settle for something to save a few thousand dollars. Our tastes never seem to match all that neutral stuff that is chosen to be put into spec homes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston