Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2011, 07:29 AM

12 posts, read 60,882 times

Advertisements

Hello ...

My husband would like to commute from Greatwood (Sugar Land) to downtown via driving them park about 8 miles from downtown and bike the rest of the way into downtown each day for work. Any one do this? I am looking at bike path maps and trying to figure out the best route to take to do this.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2011, 12:36 PM

1,743 posts, read 3,805,794 times
You live in the wrong city for this. Houston isn't really the ideal place for this type of commute. You will most likely be run over within 6-12 months of this venture.

Old 09-05-2011, 02:20 PM

2,639 posts, read 8,264,232 times
Its pretty hot for this...where would he shower and how would he get his suit there without wrinkles? However,There is the bike trail along Braeswood but it goes into The Med Center. I guess he could hop the train into DT from there.
I agree with the above post.

Old 09-05-2011, 02:22 PM

1,534 posts, read 3,484,712 times
Just DON'T do it!

Old 09-05-2011, 06:32 PM

3,283 posts, read 6,030,259 times
many people bike to the med center for work. generally you have to live in westbury, meyerland, braes, west u, museum district and other immediate surrounding areas. still people get killed but that is in any city. cyclists die in very bike friendly cities. houston is one of the most un-friendly bike cities you can get.

but people do it. i dont know the exact park and ride you'd be at to where you would ride to downtown. downtown id be way more scared riding around then med center where buses/cars appear to be more used to bike traffic (with med center commuters as well as students). i do still see the occasional person biking downtown. they ride VERY aggressively. you have to blend with traffic. there are bike trails leading up to downtown but to my knowledge none in the actual city yet. i think you are expected to share the bus lane. WATCH FOR BUSES. from my experience they actually want to kill you. that and the murder train

like the other person stated the major reason most people dont bike is the summers here are hot. you will sweat through all of your clothes well before arriving to work. i would be fired for that but without knowing your office environment i can't say you wouldnt. even through the fall you will arrive sweaty. november - february wouldn't be bad. i am guessing you are from houston so you must have already worked this out

Old 09-05-2011, 06:37 PM

419 posts, read 1,918,298 times
you should consider a car pool...

Old 09-05-2011, 06:39 PM

He rides his bike to and from work everyday now from the Heights (8 miles total) ... he has a shower at work. These comments made me laugh ... just forget I asked. I assumed there might be some bike people on here, but I guess not today. ;o) lol

Rides his bike downtown lots too and there are TONS of bike lanes downtown.

Thanks

Old 09-05-2011, 06:40 PM

3,283 posts, read 6,030,259 times
i ride too. ive never seen the bike lanes downtown. are you calling the share the road paths bike lanes? when i think of bike lanes i think of dedicated lanes to cyclists. the closest trail used to be the harrisburg sunset but to my knowledge is still doesnt go through the city

(edit: from looking at the city trail site it looks like the columbia goes through downtown. they could do more to make this clear. ive never noticed!)

Old 09-05-2011, 08:15 PM

Yes I do mean shared road with a "bike lane" .... I agree Houston is terrible about just putting signs up saying "Bike Lane" but the drivers do not notice the sign.

Old 09-05-2011, 11:26 PM

644 posts, read 1,349,471 times
This post made me smile because before I moved to Houston, I talked about not owning a car and biking everywhere and I got very similar responses. Since arriving in Houston, I haven't had a chance to ride my bike much, but omg drivers here are AGGRESSIVE!!! Houstonians are so far, the nicest people of anywhere I've ever lived, but something changes when they get behind the wheel of a car... lol. We are looking very closely at Montrose area as a place to buy and I feel like compared to where our temporary living is, Montrose will be more bike friendly... I'll have to wait and see though. I agree about the bike lanes, we have the same type back where I came from. I was a very aggressive cyclist up north, but here I'm not as apt to just "take the lane". There is a totally different culture here, but it's nice to hear that there are other cyclist braving the streets of downtown.

As a side note, I will be MUCH less likely to give my kids the freedom they had up north to ride their bikes around town. So far, I don't know that I would feel comfortable with that.

Btw, does Sugar Land have the park and ride option other suburbs have? I've heard that's a great option for commuters.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston