Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2011, 04:57 AM

9 posts, read 42,750 times

Advertisements

Looking to move but unsure which area is better. Wife works in Med Center and I work in and around Greenway Plaza. I'd like to get the opinions of others on this.

Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2011, 08:34 AM

3,333 posts, read 9,188,756 times
Both are great neighborhoods with good schools and acceptable commute for both of you. For me the biggest difference is price. I built a new Perry Home in SCR last year and the same home (exact same plan, Riverstone 65' mine 70' lot) in Riverstone is a full $60K more. The land price difference is HUGE.

Ronnie

Old 09-14-2011, 10:16 AM

1,743 posts, read 3,830,060 times
I disagree a bit. I would put Riverstone a slight notch above Shadow Creek. With Riverstone being a Nissan Maxima, and Shadow Creek being an Altima. Riverstone an Accord, SCR a Civic. Riverstone a Camry, SCR a Corolla. Neither are a Mercedes, but their not a Kia either. Well maybe Riverstone would be a C-class Mercedes.

Old 09-14-2011, 10:35 AM

2,465 posts, read 5,803,028 times
I live in Riverstone and we love it. Different class of people. I highly recommend it but please do take a tour and go by the Riverstone information center.
Come up with your own selection criteria and use a more objective data approach rather than anyones opinion

Old 11-23-2011, 06:40 PM

2 posts, read 6,027 times
SCR is in Alvin ISD, the schools are still up and coming, Pearland ISD on the other side of 288 has better more established schools.
SCR will have great schools in a few years, as the massive group of Med Ctr families demand better. Our home in PISD was 20k more than the SCR Alvin ISD home due to the school.
PISD side also has lower taxes.

Old 11-24-2011, 01:12 PM

332 posts, read 1,325,742 times
All things being equal, there is the landfill reputation of SCR. Even if there really is no odor, birds or other issue associated with the landfill, I would NOT pick the area where the reputation itself can drag down values and be a negative for eventual re-sale. I'm sure that is already reflected in the land and home prices, but why have that hanging over the property? Perception matters as much if not more than reality in these cases.

Old 11-24-2011, 03:35 PM

2,639 posts, read 8,302,457 times
Riverstone! No comparison

Old 11-28-2011, 08:40 AM

1,461 posts, read 5,605,142 times
I would say that both communities are different from each other in the sense that one is in Sugarland/Missouri City and the other one in Pearland. What are you looking for in a community?

Old 11-29-2011, 01:33 AM

2,192 posts, read 3,231,148 times
depends on alot of factors....

1. you want a more suburban shopping experience, diversity (Riverstone)
2. Uniformity (Riverstone) as Pearland off 518 is all over the place and Mo. City promotes zoning
3. Schools? Toss up as Alvin ISD and FBISD schools are headed down similar paths...as of now, you got to travel MILES for the nearest HS in SCR
4. Access to the city? (SCR by far)
5. Want to avoid wind coverage? (stay in Riverstone)

Lastly, depends on the house you're trying to build...if you're into McMansions then you go with Riverstone without a doubt as that area is catered towards that. SCR has nice-sized homes but nothing compared to Riverstone...

If I had to bet longterm as I grew up in both areas...Riverstone....SCR is nice but looks like more money has been invested into Riverstone meaning people ain't going anywhere while I know a few who have built and left SCR pretty fast

Old 11-29-2011, 07:40 AM

4,875 posts, read 10,092,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sksahai View Post
SCR is in Alvin ISD, the schools are still up and coming, Pearland ISD on the other side of 288 has better more established schools.
SCR will have great schools in a few years, as the massive group of Med Ctr families demand better. Our home in PISD was 20k more than the SCR Alvin ISD home due to the school.
PISD side also has lower taxes.
A far western portion of SCR is in FBISD and is zoned to Willowridge High School.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston