Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2011, 11:22 PM

12,498 posts, read 26,994,162 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddie800 View Post
Moving from Chicago to Houston in a month. As I'm clearing out the closets I have winter jackets, gloves, hats scarfs, even the face masks so when it hits below zero you don't get frost bite!

I would like to par it down and I know obviously don't need the snow boots and pants. Do people there wear hats in January?does it get down to below freezing from the research I've seen that isn't too likely.

I also have 2 kids so want to make sure I keep any hats, ear muffs, etc they may need.

I've lived in the midwest all my life, so when I ask this question I'm being serious! Thanks
Houston's average high in January is 62.9 F & average low is 43.2 F.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2011, 09:10 AM

594 posts, read 1,249,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heightsian View Post

My normal winter jacket is a wool pea coat. I don't have any tolerance for cold (my fingers turn blue in air conditioning!) so I need something heavier than a fleece in December/January/February. I wear hats and scarves here regularly during those months as do many people here; it's more for the wind than the actual cold though.
I grew up in Texas but my parents are from Michigan and I agree with this. I've never been a cold weather wuss but I prefer to not be cold.

It's true the bothersome part is the chilly wind. It took me by surprise when I moved here.

Just like the summers that are over-A/Cd inside, the winters tend to be over-heated inside. I usually wear my usual work clothes (maybe a long-sleeve here and there) and throw a coat on for the walk to/from the car since it's usually dark and 10 min walk from the office. I have never needed a sweater at work. EVER.

Since moving further and further east in Texas, I've thinned out my gear. I wear scarves because I like to knit.

You may miss snow, though. The "snow" here is laughable. Usually it's ice that's even remotely possible. It is true that the city shuts down IF it happens but really, with lots of overpasses and bridges, no salt trucks, and our drivers, you will rather stay home than drive!

Old 09-19-2011, 10:07 AM

5,819 posts, read 7,233,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thesouthwest View Post
there are plenty of nights when it's in the tens,

Seriously?

In the last ten years, there might have been two cold fronts that dropped into the UPPER teens. Most years, it never got below a very light freeze. And a few where it dipped into the '20s.

Below 25 is a RARE occurrence for Houston.

Old 09-19-2011, 10:37 AM

Location: Where nothing ever grows. No rain or rivers flow, Texas
1,085 posts, read 1,581,122 times
Bring your great memories of Christmas/winter. It can get to you in the south

Old 09-19-2011, 12:52 PM

11 posts, read 30,496 times
Default For a few days....

It may get really cold a couple days in the winter.

Old 09-19-2011, 06:53 PM

23,015 posts, read 34,383,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie2011 View Post
It may get really cold a couple days in the winter.
If we're lucky

Old 09-19-2011, 08:14 PM

3,576 posts, read 3,078,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddie800 View Post
Moving from Chicago to Houston in a month. As I'm clearing out the closets I have winter jackets, gloves, hats scarfs, even the face masks so when it hits below zero you don't get frost bite!

I would like to par it down and I know obviously don't need the snow boots and pants. Do people there wear hats in January?does it get down to below freezing from the research I've seen that isn't too likely.

I also have 2 kids so want to make sure I keep any hats, ear muffs, etc they may need.

I've lived in the midwest all my life, so when I ask this question I'm being serious! Thanks
Bring clothing that you would wear in October in Chicago. That's about the absolute temperature range you should expect from December thru February in Houston. You may get a freeze for a day or 2, and several warm days, and several rainy (hopefully) days. If you still have family in Chicago and expect to visit in the winter, leave the heavy stuff up there.

Old 09-20-2011, 09:51 PM

682 posts, read 834,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DejaBlue View Post
LMAO! Just bring a middle type jacket. Not heavy duty but something thicker than a sweater.

A simple fleece jacket will suffice. You're from Chicago, so once you experience the "cold" we have here you'll be like "These people are such babies!" and you'll be walking around in shorts.

Not even close. Ear muffs? Nope. When it gets that cold you won't be outside. That's overnight from 1am to 6am and then once 7 hits the sun is SHINING high and it's getting hot. The below freezing is almost NEVER during the day. By the time the kids get to school they will be shedding what jackets they wear.

Gloves are fine but nothing serious. Cheap ones you can buy at the dollar store will serve you well if it's nippy during the day.

But honestly, and I'm being totally serious. Our cold will be like 70 degrees to you.
Just moved from Chicago...look forward to the winters here. Oh, by the way....ear muffs aren't usually worn unless temps or chill go below 15F. Gloves...didn't start wearing until under 20F. Scarf...only during wind. Will not miss any of that.

Old 09-20-2011, 09:54 PM

682 posts, read 834,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by d2mini View Post
Oh one other thing... my wife always has a light jacket with her in the car, even in the warmer months because the restaurants and movie theaters keep the AC pumping SO STRONG! It's crazy. You have been warned.
It is so strange....if I remember right...when I lived here in the 80's....they freeze you out with AC in the summer.....and during the winter they pump the heaters up into the 80's. It is amazing....lol

Old 09-27-2011, 12:45 PM

13 posts, read 26,787 times
Native Texan here. I remember when I moved to Colorado, in January, a few years after I graduated from college. I absolutely _froze_. I mean, it was actually painful. I began to wonder if I could even handle living up there.

Later that spring, I happened to be in a sporting goods store and I saw the winter coats on sale. Then, I realized why that winter was so bad. See, the "heaviest" coat that I owned was a relatively light jacket compared to these actual "winter coats". I had never thought that I didn't actually own a true "winter" coat; being from southern Texas, I had just never experienced really cold temperatures. So, I bought an actual winter coat (really, a ski jacket) and was able to tolerate winters for a few years. Until I finally got tired of scraping snow off of my car every morning, so I moved back to Houston.

That story still makes my friends and family laugh...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston