Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2011, 08:29 AM

35 posts, read 60,285 times

Advertisements

I just goggled your address and I reckon you could still have a 40-45 minute drive in traffic from Bridgeland or surrounding communities. Tomball would get you much closer to work, when we first started looking I was only looking at zip code 77377, mainly because people I knew from work lived in the area and liked it.

Our fabulous realtor broadened our horizons and we ended up in Bridgeland which is much closer to my work. IMO the areas in Tobmall are nice but don't have the same feeling of being in the countryside. You can get to your work from Cypress using back roads and avoiding the infamous 290/beltway traffic so it would be a pleasant drive if that's what you opt for.

One other thing, if you're a shopper, your work is dangerously close to Willowbrook mall, if I was your husband that would be a concern for me
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2011, 04:10 PM

1 posts, read 849 times
Default moving to houston from manchester

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishlover View Post
Welcome! My wife moved from Ireland in February. We are loving Houston. PM me for specific info
Hi

AS u say v can ask the things making us really worry,

Im from manchester n planning to move Houston as weather really affecting me here like joints pain at age of 36 n u know the way the NHS is.So far im worked in the furniture retail shops at different levels.on top Ive done masters in finance long time ago.Ive got kids to go to primary n secondary schools.which area is best for us to start.Dont know where to start,plg to come to myself first n sort the visa n house for the family as well.plz u r guidance is much appreciated.

waiting for u r reply.

thanks

Old 12-08-2011, 05:56 PM

5,429 posts, read 14,840,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by descovy View Post
Echoing what EA said... There is nothing substantial in Sugar Land that cannot be found in Cy-Fair, Cypress, NW area.
Well, except land use controls and zoning. No billboards. Signage laws. Etc. Which is a pretty big deal to some and I think makes for better QOL.

But yes, if work is NW, one should try to live NW.

Old 12-08-2011, 06:56 PM

811 posts, read 1,556,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksunny View Post
Hi

AS u say v can ask the things making us really worry,

Im from manchester n planning to move Houston as weather really affecting me here like joints pain at age of 36 n u know the way the NHS is.So far im worked in the furniture retail shops at different levels.on top Ive done masters in finance long time ago.Ive got kids to go to primary n secondary schools.which area is best for us to start.Dont know where to start,plg to come to myself first n sort the visa n house for the family as well.plz u r guidance is much appreciated.

waiting for u r reply.

thanks
Before you do anything you have to see if you are eligible for a visa. You can't just come over here and get a visa, it has to be done first. For lots of info I suggest you check out the British Expats (Immigration) forum. Unless it is a company move or you are married to a US citizen it is very difficult.

Old 12-08-2011, 10:17 PM

322 posts, read 710,131 times
Check to see if you MUST go with an assigned realtor from your company. We were assigned one and a billion thanks to everyone that we didn't use that realtor and used CheryJohns who KNOWS everything about these areas.

The assigned realtor simply wanted to nest us with other UK expats in Katy. Harumph to that and we are so happy close to Copperfield but in the Cypress ISD.

If you don't HAVE to use the assigned realtor, then interview someone else, including CheryJohns.

And, yeah, just like folks from LA, sure, folks who drove a lot around UK just can't comprehend (like my husband, who is from Scotland) that Woodlands is a far commute time-wise to downtown or EC. And Sugarland is a huge commute in aggravation and drive time (never count miles, they mean nothing in Houston) to the NW.

Today I had only 11 miles to run and with two accidents and a frontage road closure to one of those accidents, it took me 45 minutes and a lot of stress. (Beltway and I-10 no matter, not even the usual suspect congestion areas.)

Reduce your stress and spend more time with your family and look at Cypress. The amenities are bountiful, the housing prices the same reasonable-ness as Sugarland and you'll probably have a larger lot, too.

Your container will ship depending on if you are dedicated or sharing a container. My husband's company provided gobs of relocation so our small amount of stuff came dedicated and arrived in less than 3 weeks. Cort furniture's rental costs aren't that huge and possibly your relocation package will include that...?

Yes, its an exciting time however we are SO GLAD we didn't move to Woodlands or even Katy, let alone Sugarland and stay closer to hubby's job. It does make a difference in the sprawl that is Houston.

ksunny - you may want to hop over to britishexpats.com and ask your questions over there. No visa in hand means very little possibility for you to come here. If the issue is medical, I've had many a UK friend come over and pay out of pocket for things like knee replacements, ankle surgery and the like. Its pricey but possible.

As for pet insurance is normally not taken out here, and anything pre-existing is not covered, as well as many chronic illness like cancers or diabetes. Check well with the cover prior to purchase.

Old 12-09-2011, 02:20 PM

1 posts, read 782 times
You need to have your Realtor educate you on the different areas of Houston and what they have to offer. I am a Realtor and feel the NW area is a wonderful area for families relocating from out of the country. We have wonderful resale values and excellent schools. The Woodlands has a lot to offer and is full of international families.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston