Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2011, 04:01 PM

12,498 posts, read 26,991,779 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by glorplaxy View Post
Vietnamese downtown is a bit overpriced and not very good, unless you really dont know Vietnamese food. Save all of that for a time when you visit Bellaire blvd or the pho binh trailer.

Downtown isnt known for budget restaurants. Especially when it comes to dinner.
I disagree.

These are all great places to eat.

Downtown Houston - Vietnamese Restaurants | Urbanspoon

Also, I don't mind paying a little more myself if that means saving my sanity from driving all the way to Southwest Houston on 59, driving down congested Bellaire Blvd, & last but not least supporting downtown businesses.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2011, 04:16 PM

789 posts, read 1,527,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
I disagree.

These are all great places to eat.

Downtown Houston - Vietnamese Restaurants | Urbanspoon

Also, I don't mind paying a little more myself if that means saving my sanity from driving all the way to Southwest Houston on 59, driving down congested Bellaire Blvd, & last but not least supporting downtown businesses.
I agree. There are some decent places Downtown. And the fact that I try and keep the things I like to do closer to me, makes them even more attractive. I do get around Houston, so I do like to go down congested Bellaire on a very regular basis. Many of my favorite places are on that stretch of pavement. if only we could get that closer in the city, haha. Maybe on the East Side?

Old 09-28-2011, 08:21 AM

8,376 posts, read 30,700,202 times
Quote:
...pho binh trailer.
Love it!

Might be worth the 15ish min drive from downtown considering how inexpensive it is.

Old 09-28-2011, 08:37 AM

1,650 posts, read 3,803,380 times
Quote:
Vietnamese downtown is a bit overpriced and not very good, unless you really dont know Vietnamese food. Save all of that for a time when you visit Bellaire blvd or the pho binh trailer.

Downtown isnt known for budget restaurants. Especially when it comes to dinner.
Bellaire is good if you are very familiar with Vietnamese, are Vietnamese, or have very adventurous eating habits, ala Anthony Bourdaine.

For the typical visitor, I think a place like Van Luc on Milam is more suited and still very good, even to my Vietnamese friends. Mai's get's crazy good reviews but i've always found their menu to be hit and miss.

Old 09-28-2011, 09:56 AM

3,333 posts, read 9,172,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by d2mini View Post
Bellaire is good if you are very familiar with Vietnamese, are Vietnamese, or have very adventurous eating habits, ala Anthony Bourdaine.

For the typical visitor, I think a place like Van Luc on Milam is more suited and still very good, even to my Vietnamese friends. Mai's get's crazy good reviews but i've always found their menu to be hit and miss.
Bellaire? You want the OP to walk from the downtown Hilton to Bellaire? LOL

Ronnie

Old 09-28-2011, 10:09 AM

789 posts, read 1,527,634 times
Quote:

That's me right there. I love to eat and taste new foods. I pick my favorites, and add the place to my spontaneous routine if it is good. I also love Anthony Bourdaine for his adventurous eating. But I just don't eat to be "adventurous". I have a interest in different cultures, and their food just happens to be part of their culture. I also frequent Van Loc on occasion also. The Vietnamese meals aren't extremely authentic, but there are some on the menu that are, and they taste pretty good. I just get tired of going to places, ordering things, and then the waiters look at me funny. They tell me I won't like it, and then I want to back-hand them. I know why they do it (because certain people complain), but I am there for authentic food. I would kill for a Vietnamese place (or any for that matter) that serves authentic food, and doesn't have an off-menu menu.

Old 09-28-2011, 01:13 PM

12,498 posts, read 26,991,779 times
Quote:

Mai's in Midtown burned to the ground several years ago unless they have rebuilt somewhere else.

Old 09-28-2011, 01:21 PM

8,227 posts, read 11,144,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
Mai's in Midtown burned to the ground several years ago unless they have rebuilt somewhere else.
Dude it wasn't several years, it last year. And they have re- opended.

New and improved Mai's to reopen on Saturday | Houston Restaurants | 29-95.com

Old 09-28-2011, 03:25 PM

2,639 posts, read 8,288,426 times
Niko Niko has a little open air diner in Market Sq. Great Greek food.

Old 09-28-2011, 05:51 PM
JL

8,522 posts, read 14,535,626 times
Since we're talking about close to Hilton Americas, then try the China Garden restaurant. I think the food is average, but at least the walk is pretty close.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: