Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2011, 09:16 PM

18 posts, read 40,600 times

Advertisements

I think you are exactly right. We moved into a new subdivision 7 yrs ago. Since we were all new to the street we had block parties and really got to know each other. Now, 7 yrs. later, we don't do the official parties so much but we still chat outside all the time.

3 families have since moved and, although we do talk to the new homeowners, it's not the same. The same effort to get to know them or include them is not there. One home just had new owners move in a few weeks ago and I don't think anyone has even said hello or knows anything about the new people. I guess that's probably the norm everywhere.

So although I totally agree with you, I really wanted mature trees and landscaping this time! And a house that already has a pool!

Let me know how you like West Ranch. There are some pretty homes in there. I love Village Builders.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2011, 09:50 PM

3,842 posts, read 8,267,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamallama1 View Post

Very interesting that you say that. That is one of the reasons the Klein community has never felt like home to me. There are many people whose family have lived in this area for generations. So many of the women I've met that are around my age grew up here, maybe went away to college, and came right back to work and start their family. There is nothing wrong with that but it does make it hard to make friends. They already have a network of friends and family.

I am wondering if that would be the same issue in Friendswood also? I am sure people are friendly but is there also sort of a "wall" up to people who are not natives?

There is a family that just moved on our street recently (from out of state) but they had previously lived in South Shore Harbour. I was asking her if she had liked the area and she said "I liked it but neighbors didn't talk like they do here." This was a conversation in our cul de sac while our kids played. I was surprised....do you think that was just a fluke situation or are people in the bay area less social and in touch with neighbors?
I think it depends on the neighborhood and your immediate neighbors. Just like work environments. Some are friendly, some are not. But yeah it is more the norm for people to be indifferent. That's everywhere.

Old 09-30-2011, 10:50 PM

644 posts, read 1,353,477 times
I got to know someone that lives in the Woodlands. She says she really loves it and can't imagine living anywhere else. She was trying to convince me that our family should consider it. However, in the same breath she also said she lived in her neighborhood for several years and never knew her neighbors until some hurricane (can't remember which one) blew out the power and no one had anything better to do than to meet their neighbors. lol. I found that pretty funny. She also said it's very white and affluent if that's your thing.

If you really want community, and this is just my humble opinion, I wouldn't expect too much from the wealthy burbs. People who are well off and living in a really quiet, safe, monotonous community don't seem to have much cause for getting to know their neighbors. I'm sure I'm not explaining that right.... lol. This is just from my experiences, but I guess it's different for everyone.

I would be wary of a "small town" also.

Old 10-01-2011, 07:45 AM

8,895 posts, read 19,995,992 times
People who live in FW love it and people who live in the Woodlands love it. Home is where you make it - so what is important is that you like the area, it has what you are looking for conveniences, commutes, schools, etc. Both area great areas.

Old 10-01-2011, 11:07 AM

8,376 posts, read 30,697,976 times
After enough experience moving around the Houston area, I've actually found the suburbs to be better for knowing your neighbors. It amazes me that my family members who have stayed put for 30+ years in the various suburbs here still have the same neighbors. We also know most of our neighbors and I'm of the attitude that if they stay then so will we. If they move-- well, we are "upwardly mobile." But those tired Hollywood stereotypes about the burbs almost never seem to apply in my experience.

Anyway, in Friendswood or The Woodlands neighborhoods I'd be surprised if they didn't have crime watch, HOA, wine tasting meetings, etc. The stay at home moms likely have their own get-togethers, which turn into hosting playgroups at your home while the dads work. That can blossom into meeting other neighbors and knowing other people around the neighborhood..

And as much as people rip on community mailboxes, they seem to be a center-point for neighbors chatting.

Oh yeah, being a native Texan/Houstonian seems to help. Don't under-estimate that whole "Texas social circle" some outsiders complain about on these boards...

Old 10-04-2011, 08:38 PM

10 posts, read 19,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texas7 View Post
Home is where you make it
Perfect... so true!

FYI, we just had our National Night Out last weekend. The whole block was out, mingling in a few designated driveways, snacking on potluck contributions. While "driveway hopping," we met 2 new families that moved in around the corner.

While we were building this home, when we came by the construction site to take pictures, everyone in the cul-de-sac intermittently came over and introduced themselves to us. Interestingly enough, while some of us moved to Creekside from different neighborhoods in The Woodlands, most in our subdivision seem to have transferred in from out of town/state.

As for those who've made comments about people in The Woodlands living like millionaires or living beyond their means - seriously? Wow, that's such an odd and silly statement to throw out there. I just have to ask, how, exactly, do they know that? Are they privy to bank account information of everyone in The Woodlands?

People tend to criticize that which they don't understand and defend that which they hold dear, so, as a previous poster stated, I'd stick to the input that really matters to YOU. If you like the coast/beach, you can't beat the location of Friendswood. If you want to live amongst towering trees and are prepared to occasionally get lost because almost everything (gas stations, McDonalds, the bank, that birthday party that started 15 minutes ago) is hidden behind trees, then you'd love The Woodlands.

Socially, all of our neighbors (we've lived in both Alden Bridge and Creekside) have been wonderful. Someone mentioned "white and affluent." In our neighborhood, we are pretty diverse - several different nationalities and races represented - but yes, affluent.

Last edited by BenzLawyer89; 10-04-2011 at 08:52 PM..

Old 10-06-2011, 06:30 AM

225 posts, read 597,366 times
I live in Friendswood.

Everyone is right - you can find snobs here (but they are everwhere, as are insular attitudes). I've met lots of great people too. And of course I'm here, so obviously there's at least ONE great person in town. :P

But seriously, if you like the Woodlands and the only problem is you're worried about stressing your kids out, just take an active role in helping them not to freak out over academics. I wouldn't move over it.

But if you think you really may like a small-town atmosphere (I do, I grew up in one), then Friendswood might be good for you.

I have a blog about local family events in Friendswood. I don't think I can post the link here but if you PM me I will send it to you. Might give you a feel of the kind of things there are to do around here (library story times, church events, community events, etc.).

Your point about making friends - I can actually relate to that. We've been here 3 years and it's taken us a while to make friends. Lots of people seem to have been here forever, and their social circles are basically full. I'm not sure if that's just in SE Houston, or all over.

Old 10-07-2011, 07:09 AM

18 posts, read 242,592 times
Go with the quality. The Woodlands

Old 07-29-2021, 07:54 AM

1 posts, read 643 times
This post is 10 years old so I don't know I'll get a response but I am actually moving from The Woodlands to Friendswood. My daughter is now entering her first year of college and will live at home for the next year or two and we are both very nervous about moving to Friendswood. I can say that although she griped about the schools in The Woodlands (intermediate, junior high and high school), I saw a major improvement in her behavior and grades from when we lived in Houston and she attended CY-Fair ISD. We no longer need to worry about the school districts since again, she's going into college, but I'm still nervous about leaving our Woodlands bubble.
Since this post is 10 years old, does anyone have anything more to say about Friendswood that may make me feel better about moving there in a month?

Old 09-06-2021, 03:09 AM

2 posts, read 1,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by go4denise View Post
This post is 10 years old so I don't know I'll get a response but I am actually moving from The Woodlands to Friendswood. My daughter is now entering her first year of college and will live at home for the next year or two and we are both very nervous about moving to Friendswood. I can say that although she griped about the schools in The Woodlands (intermediate, junior high and high school), I saw a major improvement in her behavior and grades from when we lived in Houston and she attended CY-Fair ISD. We no longer need to worry about the school districts since again, she's going into college, but I'm still nervous about leaving our Woodlands bubble.
Since this post is 10 years old, does anyone have anything more to say about Friendswood that may make me feel better about moving there in a month?

Talk about a necrobump! LOL

We moved to Friendswood a few years ago. It is quiet, peaceful, safe, and clean. Everyone just goes about their business. There are quite a few mom and pop places if you are the explorative type. It is a tough nut to crack with people, as far as making friends goes. It has been tough for us and we have a kid who is an athlete in the school system. You will find it much easier to get around from a traffic perspective. The diversity will be almost exactly what you get in the Woodlands, not sure if that is a plus or minus for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston