Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2009, 09:39 AM

8,376 posts, read 30,697,976 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thaskateguy View Post
Unless you live in the Houston/Heights, or Montrose Area, you really don't live in "Houston" all those other places are fine, but Houston, to me, is inside the 610 Loop. Great schools, and shopping, and like in the eye of a hurricane, not much traffic. Everybody is busy commuting to all of those out skirts of Houston places. Been here 35 years, and other than the heat in summer, spring and fall, love it. If ya have money, which I don't, then of course "River Oaks" and "Tangle wood" would top the list. Us regular folks live in the glorious Crime free Heights.

I'm glad you enjoy your glorified barrio and its great schools. BTW I take it you never drove the 59 (southwest) corridor inside the loop during afternoon rush hour. That area, hands down, beats out most any suburban traffic and I don't mean it in a good way.

And ''crime free'' Heights, huh? How many homes have been torched there over the past 2 months?

15th Suspicious Fire In Heights - Houston News Story - KPRC Houston (http://www.click2houston.com/news/21280237/detail.html - broken link)

Until now, I never realized there were so many boarded up & vacant houses there. You can have "Houston" if that's what makes you happy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2009, 10:01 AM

381 posts, read 1,234,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tstone View Post
I'm glad you enjoy your glorified barrio and its great schools. BTW I take it you never drove the 59 (southwest)
Hey hey hey hey - you don't have to be mean......Have you ever driven around the Heights? It is charming as well as eclectic. Of course to live in the Heights, you do have enjoy living in a city, and understand what city living means, and yes - crime is sometimes included.

Diffrent strokes for diffrent folks. You would never find me in a homogenous suburb either.

Old 10-13-2009, 10:08 AM

8,376 posts, read 30,697,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brownybaby View Post
Hey hey hey hey - you don't have to be mean......Have you ever driven around the Heights? It is charming as well as eclectic. Of course to live in the Heights, you do have enjoy living in a city, and understand what city living means, and yes - crime is sometimes included.

Driven through, stopped, shopped, ate/drank, got a dog neutered there, too. I agree parts are charming and ecletic but I still stand by my other comments.

Old 10-13-2009, 10:21 AM

2,637 posts, read 4,461,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tstone View Post
I'm glad you enjoy your glorified barrio and its great schools. BTW I take it you never drove the 59 (southwest) corridor inside the loop during afternoon rush hour. That area, hands down, beats out most any suburban traffic and I don't mean it in a good way.

And ''crime free'' Heights, huh? How many homes have been torched there over the past 2 months?

15th Suspicious Fire In Heights - Houston News Story - KPRC Houston (http://www.click2houston.com/news/21280237/detail.html - broken link)

Until now, I never realized there were so many boarded up & vacant houses there. You can have "Houston" if that's what makes you happy.
When you live in the Heights, there is little need to drive more than a few miles, to find all ya need. Which is just one of the many reason I live here. It is also "Dry" here, so don't have to deal with drunk drivers, rushing to the next Bar for "Just one more", before last call. I have never seen so many baby Joggers, or dog walkers. and hardly anyone has to carry a gun, as is the case in many other areas I have lived in. --The fires are planned, and not random. Gettin rid of old abandoned run down sheds mostly. Which I don't agree with, but does seem to be the case.

Old 10-13-2009, 10:32 AM

17,029 posts, read 30,919,735 times
I thought they had two people being held for arson. Agree that the heights is a nice area, and your right about the baby joggers.

Old 10-13-2009, 12:24 PM

2,637 posts, read 4,461,781 times
I hope they did catch them. I can't state strongly enough how much I dislike any Criminal activity. Arson is right up there with acts against Children, and should be rooted out, with out fail. "Freedom is never Free" We all must be vigilant at all times. I know I am.

Old 01-09-2010, 02:05 PM

1 posts, read 6,241 times
Hi, I am going to move to Houston Spring Hills Texas in summer with my family from Chicago can somone tell me which neighborhood or the School is best. I have 2 boys one in fourth grade and Second grade.Read more: [url]//www.city-data.com/forum/houston/139735-best-neighborhoods-houston.html#ixzz0c9QoHVNe[/url]

Old 01-09-2010, 02:31 PM

9,053 posts, read 17,195,821 times
Work location and budget have to be given before anyone can help.

Old 01-09-2010, 06:42 PM

27 posts, read 154,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheryjohns View Post
Work location and budget have to be given before anyone can help.

This is exactly right. The city is so big that you must consider where your work location will be. Houston can accommodate any budget, but you will generally get what you pay for in terms of nice-ness.

I relocated from St. Louis to Houston in 2006, so let me know what area of StL you like, and I can try to approximate what neighborhood in Houston would correspond to that.

Just from what you've told us:

North - The Woodlands, Kingwood, Humble

West - Katy, Sugarland, the Villages along Memorial

South - Pearland, League City, Clear Lake

East - no thanks. maybe Baytown

overall: The Woodlands

Old 01-09-2010, 09:45 PM

9,598 posts, read 16,563,825 times
For most outsiders, Montrose, The Heights and Midtown are the places to be. If I could live anywhere in Houston, I'd live in The Heights.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston