Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2011, 07:26 AM

392 posts, read 998,698 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lije Baley View Post
That bad uh? Last time I ate there was probably @1997 (right before going to college) so looks like things have changed.

Oh well, no more raising that little flag on the table to let the waiter know I need more sopapillas.......

That was my favorite thing mmmm
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2011, 03:44 PM

22 posts, read 92,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seoid View Post
Ha! I think it was 1992 for me.

I don't recall it being very good and I was middle school aged. I'm pretty sure I would not like it now.

Oh a side note, anyone know where some decent sopapillas can be found? I've been looking for the hollow, puffy ones you can fill with honey, not the donut/spongey ones. I was saddened a few times when I ordered sopapillas and got a donut covered in honey. Not what was expected.

OMG, someone please answer, the only reason I went to Panchos was for their sopapillas. Although, that was my favorite restaurant growing up, the food is very different now. I haven't found anyone who makes the sopapillas like that.

Old 10-11-2011, 04:19 PM

Location: Central Bay Area, CA as of Jan 2010...but still a proud Texan from Houston!
7,484 posts, read 10,447,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by modster View Post
There are so many inexpensive GOOD Tex-Mex places in town, it comes as no surprise that they are not doing that well. They are still around. There is one on 45 and I think Tidwell, and another by Almeda Mall.
No kidding! My parents used to take me and my brother to the one off of the Gulf Freeway @ Edgebrook back in the late 60's and 70's! As teens we referred to it as raunchos since it was so raunchy!

You could not pay me to eat there today!

Old 10-11-2011, 04:45 PM

347 posts, read 468,011 times
This thread puts sadness into my heart. This was my favorite mexican buffet of all-time. I used to eat at the one in the Woodlands a little over a decade ago. It had its good days and bad days, but the flautas were always good if they were fresh.

Old 10-11-2011, 04:57 PM

6,870 posts, read 14,856,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seoid View Post
Ha! I think it was 1992 for me.

I don't recall it being very good and I was middle school aged. I'm pretty sure I would not like it now.

Oh a side note, anyone know where some decent sopapillas can be found? I've been looking for the hollow, puffy ones you can fill with honey, not the donut/spongey ones. I was saddened a few times when I ordered sopapillas and got a donut covered in honey. Not what was expected.
Don Carlos has really good sopapilas.

Old 10-11-2011, 05:36 PM

2,628 posts, read 8,832,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TxStorm72 View Post
This thread puts sadness into my heart. This was my favorite mexican buffet of all-time. I used to eat at the one in the Woodlands a little over a decade ago. It had its good days and bad days, but the flautas were always good if they were fresh.
Go to a real Tex-Mex resident, order you a decent margarita or two or three, and you will feel much better.

Old 10-12-2011, 07:14 AM

3,333 posts, read 9,173,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by modster View Post
Go to a real Tex-Mex resident, order you a decent margarita or two or three, and you will feel much better.
Now yer talkin'!!

Ronnie

Old 10-12-2011, 07:41 AM

121 posts, read 240,567 times
i wonder if its all mexicans who dont like it since its not so authentic or close to it...

and if the whites/blacks like it cuz its mexican food to them? LOL

Old 04-01-2015, 07:47 PM

1 posts, read 2,218 times
It was better than the rat **** served by authentic dives and taco windows so many huachos eat at and love. They just didn't know how to raise the flag jajajaja!

Seriously better than any place in the southwest. Is to Tex-Mex and Sonoran what po folks was to southern.

Old 04-01-2015, 09:01 PM

11 posts, read 17,672 times
There is still one in humble just off of 59 and 1960. Haven't eaten at one since probably late 80's
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston