Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-14-2011, 08:41 AM

1 posts, read 4,462 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone. I moved to Spring/The Woodlands in February for a job in Conroe. I'm living with roommates now and I'm ready to get my own place now that I've settled in. I generally like the area I'm in now (off of Rayford), but I'd like to move closer to Houston...maybe even inside the loop, but close to I-45. I realize the commute is longer, but it's pretty much a reverse commute (one I've done many times, as my ex boyfriend lives in the Heights) and traffic isn't too bad. I love the Midtown area, but it's just too expensive for me right now. Does anyone have any suggestions for apartment complexes inside the loop near I-45 that are safe and not roach infested? I'm hoping to spend $850/month or less. Thanks in advance for any help!

PS. If you've got any suggestions north of the Loop, I'm open...I don't hate The Woodlands, I just don't want to be living in Greenspoint or anything. How's the Cypress Station area? I get the feeling it's a bad area?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2011, 09:33 AM

286 posts, read 739,486 times
With that budget it's going to be tough... I recommend looking at some of the apartments closer to the 610 North Loop -- 18th Street and/or TC Jester (The Gardens, The Oaks at Timbergrove). Those are decent and the rents may be in your price range, but just barely. If you're willing to go to $900, you could possibly get into Stonewood off I-10 on TC Jester, which would be quick access to 45.

Bayou Park Apartments on Memorial might work for you -- they are older and a bit dark, but the location and area is good and the rent is on the low side for this area.

Old 10-14-2011, 02:14 PM

105 posts, read 228,815 times
It's not RIGHT off of I-45, but I lived in the Woodcreek Village Apts for 2 years. It's more off 1960/Hardy Toll Road. It was $590 for my 1BR when I was there, and $620 month-to-month. I kick myself sometimes for moving to the luxury-like dump further east of it on 1960, because it was a good price with great amenities.

Old 10-14-2011, 02:27 PM

594 posts, read 1,249,872 times
We lived at Midtown Heights at Oxford and I-10 and worked in The Woodlands. It was not a bad commute for living in Houston. No more than 45mins normally. I'd take White Oak to I-45

Old 10-18-2011, 02:58 PM

9,189 posts, read 7,601,522 times
You can try the apartments right off 45-North near the Kuykendahl park and ride. Coming from the Woodlands, you will exit Airtex and they are on the right. There's 3 of them right across the street from each other, The Trails at Dominion Park.

Trails at Dominion - Apartments in Houston

Old 10-18-2011, 03:47 PM

Seoid, we used to be neighbors! :-)

I agree that that complex would be a really good location for the OP; just not sure it would be in her price range?

Old 10-18-2011, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by heightsian View Post
Seoid, we used to be neighbors! :-)

I agree that that complex would be a really good location for the OP; just not sure it would be in her price range?
No way! I bet we've run into each other and never knew it!

Well, we actually got a special on a 1bd for $860 for a year. I know it's not always that low but sometimes it works out. It can't hurt to check it out. I think we looked at it initially and it was just out of our price range and and about 2-3 weeks later we got a call from the manager with the special.

Before that apartment, I lived in a garage apartment right off of Houston Ave not far from White Oak. There are lots of great places in there and I was WAY under $850/mo. I found it off of Craigslist but I really had to move quick. They go so fast, especially if they are nice.

Old 10-18-2011, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seoid View Post
No way! I bet we've run into each other and never knew it!

Well, we actually got a special on a 1bd for $860 for a year. I know it's not always that low but sometimes it works out. It can't hurt to check it out. I think we looked at it initially and it was just out of our price range and and about 2-3 weeks later we got a call from the manager with the special.

Before that apartment, I lived in a garage apartment right off of Houston Ave not far from White Oak. There are lots of great places in there and I was WAY under $850/mo. I found it off of Craigslist but I really had to move quick. They go so fast, especially if they are nice.
Oh wow, that's a really good rate! Though, we got our two bedroom there for relatively cheap (compared to every other place in the area) but then they jacked up the rent the following year. I was doing the reverse commute to Greenspoint at the time, so definitely a good option for the OP. It's just hard to tell -- you never know with those specials. I was thinking of places that would go for that price without a special.

Garage apartments are a great option if the OP is willing to consider those. Our neighbor was renting his for $700/month but not sure I would recommend it...

Old 10-18-2011, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by heightsian View Post
but then they jacked up the rent the following year.
That was the very fire lit under us that got us into our house. The complex, however, was really great as far as large complexes go.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston