Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2013, 02:48 AM

8 posts, read 52,754 times

Advertisements

Hello...I just read your post and I wanted to tell you to hang in there. I can remember the tantrums, outburst, and aggressive behavior when my son was that age. Its challenging to say the least and I can say that no other parent can understand the situation unless they lived it. There is hope and it will get better...I promise you. Medication is a touchy subject and at one point we thought we may need it...to us it was like we had Bruce Banner and we were trying to keep the Hulk from coming out....we began teaching my son descalation techniques and ways to bring him down before the tantrum started. It was difficult but we did it...as far as school is concerned....I would recommend contacting the school district special ed. Coordinator and arange a meeting to discuss which school would he the best fit for him....also what I think the most important thing to do is when you get to the point of meeting with his teacher...look for that vibe...feel her out...the teachers attitude will make all the difference in the world. . Good luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2013, 03:43 PM

3 posts, read 5,909 times
Default Asperger's Child - Best School District??

I have read this thread and it seems to be that Spring Branch has the best reviews.

My company is relocating to The Woodlands, so I was originally going to look at Klein (Spring), Conroe ISD and Tomball ISD. Can anyone speak directly about their experience with an Asperger's Child (or 2e Kids) in any of these districts? My child mainly needs assistance with executive functioning and social skills. We currently live in VA. He attends an excellent school here with an IEP that has a great special ed program ALONG with advanced academics. When we get to Houston, he will be going into 5th grade - so looking at future middle schools too.

Thanks!

Old 11-02-2013, 03:54 PM

3 posts, read 5,909 times
Also, anyone heard anything about the Cunae International School (private) in The Woodlands. I saw some social skill therapy classes have been held there so I thought maybe they had some HFA kids too.

Old 01-08-2017, 02:45 PM

1 posts, read 1,001 times
What is PPCD?
I have a 10 year old, 4th grader, 2who is moderate on the spectrum. He is verbal but needs and wants only. Does basic math reading and writting early first grade level. He ready right now has a full time aide in school and he participates in all gen-ed activities with her. He also has 5 days a week home aba and once a week speech, OT, PT and gets PT, OT and speech at school as well. If we move to Houston how close of a program will he be able to have in terms of school and private therapy. I should have pretty good insurance through the hospital and we can afford copays. But I have heard that insurance is very restrictive in Texas for autism. Please comment on school situations and your experience with private insurance

Old 01-08-2017, 05:58 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,898,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgrv87 View Post
What is PPCD?
I have a 10 year old, 4th grader, 2who is moderate on the spectrum. He is verbal but needs and wants only. Does basic math reading and writting early first grade level. He ready right now has a full time aide in school and he participates in all gen-ed activities with her. He also has 5 days a week home aba and once a week speech, OT, PT and gets PT, OT and speech at school as well. If we move to Houston how close of a program will he be able to have in terms of school and private therapy. I should have pretty good insurance through the hospital and we can afford copays. But I have heard that insurance is very restrictive in Texas for autism. Please comment on school situations and your experience with private insurance
PPCD is the public schools preschool for children with disabilities. It is for 3 to 5 year olds so a 4th grader would not be eligible for that.

A 4th grader would probably get either a life skills class (self-contained) or resource room with a mainstream classroom for the things he did not need help with.

Yep, insurance will not pay for ABA for a child who is older than 10 years old. They supposedly have to pay for kids who are 3 to 10, but even that is not a given if you have an employer who is self-funded. You would most likely have to pay out of pocket for your therapies although you might be able to get speech, PT and OT both privately and in school under a different diagnosis (not autism). It would depend on whether or not there was a physical problem or medical problem that could be used as your dx.

https://www.autismspeaks.org/images/.../Texas_FAQ.pdf

Old 01-08-2017, 06:01 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,898,350 times
Also, for an older child with autism, you will have a hard time finding providers of ABA as most of them seem to concentrate on the youngest ones. The other thing is that there are not a lot of private ABA or autism schools - it will depend on where you live and they are also very expensive.

Old 01-08-2017, 08:11 PM

1,478 posts, read 1,512,946 times
I would honestly recommend staying where you are if your son is thriving in his current situation. You would probably be able to get some kind of aide in the classroom, but not necessarily full-time, and maybe some speech, or you would be looking at the life skills classes, which aren't available at every school.

Old 01-09-2017, 04:46 AM

447 posts, read 487,647 times
I don't have any idea how it goes in other county, but I remember my son getting all therapies at school. OT, speech etc. He got his aide, too. It was in Conroe district. That time we moved from NY with his diagnosis and recommendations. The district accepted it and helped him tremendously. I don't know how it goes now these days, or in other counties, but Conroe ISD, in Spring and TW was an excellent place. I know, there's a place in TW for private therapies and a private school for autistic children, too. My friend used the school for her son and loved it. But that's also couple of years back. I think 5 years back.
Good luck

Old 01-09-2017, 07:59 AM

694 posts, read 834,755 times
LAMAR ISD is terrible

Fort Bend ISD is OK, the program is reasonable, decent even, but they have a fair amount of turnover in teachers, and again it comes down to the individual teacher in the classroom.

This is a small private school, my son has attended summer class in, and we were pleased.

www.trueknight.org

Old 04-20-2017, 09:39 AM

1 posts, read 778 times
I have 11 year old high functioning autism spectrum daughter and we just had horrifying Clear Creek ISD experience. Prior to enrolling to Clear Creek ISD she was successfully mainstreamed in California with support. We have never had it so bad with school.. the teacher's incompetence, lack of autism training, absence of communication from school.. my daughter was teased and bullied daily, she would come home crying and I after numerous attempts to fix the situation and find out what was going on.. I had to pull her out. Later on.. at psychiatrist visit.. she said that kids at school were very mean to her, she also learn bad language/inappropriately bad and picked up on bad behavior. I felt that the school was a dangerous place for her to be. I hope this helps anyone deciding on schooling special needs here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston