Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2011, 06:13 PM

1,301 posts, read 2,110,675 times

Advertisements

I don't mean this come across in a rude and snide tone like half the post replying to you have been, but I'd really consider getting back to NYC if at all possible. Houston just doesn't sound like the town for you.

Until then, I'd take whatever job I could get. Some money is better than no money.

Old 10-29-2011, 06:23 PM

3,283 posts, read 6,051,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
Even though it sounds a little backwards, as an American, I would be pretty upset about not being qualified for a job in my own country because I don't speak a foreigner's language.

Yes, yes, I know that English is in reality a foreign language as well, but it's the language that the extreme majority speak, and they should be the ones learning it.

At the end of the day, it's all about money. C'est la vie.
the language the "extreme" majority speak? i don't know if that is true in this state or certainly many cities here. it's business times are changing and you gotta be multilingual. especially in Texas

Old 10-29-2011, 06:40 PM

9,191 posts, read 21,876,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Dollar View Post
I agree. There are things I don't like about Houston, but that is going to be most places. If the way they do it back home is so much better, then go back. I am from Mississippi, so the only things we beat Texas in is food and music.
LOL!! That's definitely a matter of opinion...........

When I saw my first crockpot of butterbeans at an office potluck on the jobsite, I had to ask somebody what they were. It's a good thing that the local grocery carried pinto beans......

Old 10-29-2011, 07:49 PM

18,130 posts, read 25,286,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
Even though it sounds a little backwards, as an American, I would be pretty upset about not being qualified for a job in my own country because I don't speak a foreigner's language.
What jobs are you talking about that you have to know Spanish?
Are you all only applying at "Michoacana meat market"?

Here's an idea,
get a GED and get a real job that doesn't require speaking Spanish.

I speak Spanish and I can count with one hand how many times a month I have to speak Spanish.

Old 10-29-2011, 08:12 PM

8,928 posts, read 14,339,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post

Here's an idea,

I speak Spanish and I can count with one hand how many times a month I have to speak Spanish.
I don't speak Spanish. My statement was hypothetical. That should've been obvious.

Old 10-29-2011, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by testmo View Post
the language the "extreme" majority speak? i don't know if that is true in this state or certainly many cities here. it's business times are changing and you gotta be multilingual. especially in Texas
Of course the extreme majority of American citizens speak English, and I'm sure the same is true for native Texans.

You don't HAVE to be bilingual in Houston. Latinos aren't that dominant. I've done just fine here in Texas, and the only Spanish I've ever had to learn is "no habla espanol".

Old 10-29-2011, 09:20 PM

6,870 posts, read 14,857,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post

Here's an idea,

You're kidding right?

Old 10-29-2011, 10:32 PM

2,945 posts, read 4,991,946 times
On most jobs sites the vast majority of administrative assistant type jobs and anything front desk...anywhere bilingual is a "plus" or required.

I'd bet that most of the time "plus" is a nice was of saying: if you don't you're nit even going to be considered.

Old 10-29-2011, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DejaBlue View Post
I'd bet that most of the time "plus" is a nice was of saying: if you don't you're nit even going to be considered.
I think that's pushing it a bit. I know several people right here in Houston who work assistant/reception jobs, and they don't know Spanish.

Old 10-29-2011, 10:39 PM

1 posts, read 1,437 times
I am so sorry that your experience so far has been negative - but there is so much excitement in moving to a new place! So keep your chin up - and look forward to a new position that will utilize your skills to maximally. I would recommend putting your applications everywhere you can, utilizing any contacts you make, and in the meantime volunteer to bring joy and maybe even go to college where you can further your skills. I wish you the best!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston