Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2011, 01:57 PM

3 posts, read 9,819 times

Advertisements

I had been reading the forums for awhile for another place to relocate. I assumed Houston would be the place but I was wrong.

I had moved here from New York because I couldn't stand living with my boyfriend anymore. My parents live here and forced me to take a job that was the first interview. I got hired and now I am out of a job. This is the worse place to be jobless and without transportation. I am not sure how to get around the place. I can't live with my parents without a good decent paying job.

I also do not like the fact that I had been let go from my job because of not being bi-lingual in Spanish. I had worked for a retail electric provider and a few us non spanish speakers were let go. Management stated they wanted a more diverse staff to make the place workable for those who were not comfortable speaking English (whatever the hell that means) . I am asian I don't understand how that's not diverse enough, I asked would they need anyone to speak another language besides Spanish they disagreed and I am out of a job that paid $14/hr. I am glad I left the place because most of the staff kept calling me Chinese therefore I am not, I find it rude to assume because I am asian therefore I am Chinese. Im still kinda bitter. I was upset because it seems people cater to those who know spanish.

Now that I am out of a job what is the best part of town here to find an office job or the safest area? I can't find any jobs in River Oaks, and I don't want to work at a Tapioca shop in Bellaire I am way too old for that. Does anyone work for a Retail Electric Provider? I tried Reliant but I got turned down, and another REP I haven't heard back from. If anyone has any info please help.

Old 10-23-2011, 04:03 PM

286 posts, read 739,166 times
Sorry that you've had such bad experiences since coming to Houston. It sounds like you have some experience in retail electric, but what exactly is your background (ie education, types of work you've done before) and what is your skill set (languages, etc)? When you say "office job", what type of office work are you looking for and in what field?

Old 10-23-2011, 04:29 PM

1,743 posts, read 3,818,989 times
How did your parents force you to take a job? Sounds like someone isn't taking responsibility for their own actions and blaming others. Suck it up, get out there, get a better job, quit whining, get motiviated, make something happen. Nobody is going to give you anything, and nobody can force you to do anything. You are responsible for your life.

Old 10-23-2011, 05:27 PM

4,246 posts, read 12,021,657 times
Quote:
I can't live with my parents without a good decent paying job
I couldn't live with my parents having a job.

Old 10-23-2011, 06:27 PM

789 posts, read 1,527,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danieloneil01 View Post
Zing! That's what I was thinking. OP needs to get out there and make it happen. Sounds really young, and I could say some negatives about that and age. You may be jobless for a while, so you are going to have to suck it way up. Trust me, I'm saying this from experience. It is wrong how so many are getting fired for not speaking Spanish. There is nothing you can do about it, but adapt. They want that other revenue, and will hire anyone that speaks the language. It just happens that most who do are Hispanic, haha. You might want to take that tapioca shop position. Some money is better than none. Again, this is coming from someone with experience.

Last edited by Kenpar; 10-23-2011 at 06:31 PM.. Reason: add more

Old 10-23-2011, 07:34 PM

18,123 posts, read 25,266,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crystal07281987 View Post
I also do not like the fact that I had been let go from my job because of not being bi-lingual in Spanish. I had worked for a retail electric provider and a few us non spanish speakers were let go. Management stated they wanted a more diverse staff to make the place workable for those who were not comfortable speaking English (whatever the hell that means) . I am asian I don't understand how that's not diverse enough, I asked would they need anyone to speak another language besides Spanish they disagreed and I am out of a job that paid $14/hr.
Let's get some things straight:
- Businesses hire people that speak Spanish, because the job requires that skill, not for diversity. If they want diversity, they would hire "hispanic" (many don't speak Spanish)
- Speaking Spanish is a skill. If the business owner thinks that that skill is extremely important, just like speaking Chinese in "99 Ranch Market".... guess what, they are going to hire people that have those skills.
- Last point.... do you really want to work in a place where they value more how good you can speak Spanish, than how good you can do your job?
Stop blaming other people and start checking yourself.

My first language is Spanish, I'm in my 30s and I have never got a job because I speak Spanish. As a matter of fact, I also know some Portuguese and Chinese.
Instead, everytime I've gone to an interview I have to do everything possible to show that I can speak English 100% perfect.

Old 10-23-2011, 08:09 PM

2,223 posts, read 5,485,018 times
Default Didn't fix the commas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
Let's get some things straight:
- Businesses hire people that speak Spanish, because the job requires that skill, not for diversity. If they want diversity, they would hire "Hispanic" (many don't speak Spanish)
- Speaking Spanish is a skill. If the business owner thinks that that skill is extremely important, just like speaking Chinese in "99 Ranch Market".... guess what, they are going to hire people that have those skills.
- Last point.... do you really want to work in a place where they value more how good you can speak Spanish, then how good you can do your job?
Stop blaming other people and start checking yourself.

My first language is Spanish, I'm in my 30s and I have never gotten a job because I speak Spanish. As a matter of fact, I also know some Portuguese and Chinese.
Instead, every time I've gone to an interview I have to do everything possible to show that I can speak English 100% perfect.
Couldn't help it.

Old 10-23-2011, 08:21 PM

6,884 posts, read 20,399,779 times
Sounds like you've made plenty of mistakes and they're really not Houston's fault. Any regret you have should be directed to a mirror. Go back home, get a job, live with your parents, get your sh*t in one sock, and then go out on your own.

Old 10-24-2011, 04:54 AM

3,160 posts, read 4,365,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danieloneil01 View Post

she's chinese, they do things differently

Old 10-24-2011, 05:28 AM

3,333 posts, read 9,170,918 times
I'll pay you $10/hour to kill mosquitoes.

Ronnie
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston