Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2011, 08:30 PM

563 posts, read 910,191 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegankris View Post
ghet·to (gt)
n. pl. ghet·tos or ghet·toes
1. A usually poor section of a city inhabited primarily by people of the same race, religion, or social background, often because of discrimination.
2. An often walled quarter in a European city to which Jews were restricted beginning in the Middle Ages.
3. Something that resembles the restriction or isolation of a city ghetto:

Sorry, I don't mean to offend you David Dollar, I'm just saying that where I come from, ghetto is considered a very racist word and just isn't used. And the word ghetto is just an example. I'm just shocked at how open those who are racist tend to be. It definitely is a different culture here.
As opposed to the ultra-segregated and racist north? Take off your blinders...

Do you think hate crimes are a good indicator of racism? Lets compare Houston to, lets say, Boston:

Houston:
Population - 2,273,771
Hate Crimes based on race alone (2009) - 4
Total hate crimes - 14

Boston:
Population - 624,222
Hate Crimes based on race alone (2009) - 66
Total hate crimes - 134

How about Illinois as a state compared to Texas:

Illinois:
Population - 8,493,832
Hate crimes based on race alone - 76
Total hate crimes - 129

Texas:
Population - 24,770,372
Hate crimes based on race alone - 84
Total hate crimes - 165

Ohio: 142, 297
New Jersey: 221, 549
Massachusetts: 158, 322
New York: 160, 626
etc...

Hate Crime Statistics, 2009

Remove your blinders or get a new group of friends.

Last edited by MobileDave; 10-30-2011 at 08:56 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2011, 07:36 PM

270 posts, read 478,279 times
-Can someone turn off the sauna ?

-Thats pretty cheap. Whats the catch ?

-Whats a ditch and where are the sidewalks ?

Old 10-31-2011, 09:14 PM

875 posts, read 1,661,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MobileDave View Post
As opposed to the ultra-segregated and racist north? Take off your blinders...

Do you think hate crimes are a good indicator of racism? Lets compare Houston to, lets say, Boston:

Houston:
Population - 2,273,771
Hate Crimes based on race alone (2009) - 4
Total hate crimes - 14

Boston:
Population - 624,222
Hate Crimes based on race alone (2009) - 66
Total hate crimes - 134

How about Illinois as a state compared to Texas:

Illinois:
Population - 8,493,832
Hate crimes based on race alone - 76
Total hate crimes - 129

Texas:
Population - 24,770,372
Hate crimes based on race alone - 84
Total hate crimes - 165

Ohio: 142, 297
New Jersey: 221, 549
Massachusetts: 158, 322
New York: 160, 626
etc...

Hate Crime Statistics, 2009

Remove your blinders or get a new group of friends.

good post

Old 10-31-2011, 09:20 PM

3,283 posts, read 6,050,580 times
Ghetto in no way is on the level of saying a racial slur. Not sure where Vegankris comes from in the North. But it has the same connotation in Minnesota, Virginia, DC, Seattle. Maybe I am missing something but people in my house right now (northerners) are going "whaaaaat?" to her comment. is it nice to call a person ghetto? no it's not. it's also not nice to blanketly call people racists

Everyone knows Boston is a horrible place to live, come on now.

gypsies are a European thing. i've never heard someone/a people called gypsies in America where the people were being serious (or know what that actually means in current culture)

this is just my personal experience so of course experience matters only so much but the only racism I have encountered is from the very old or non-native Texans. If you are from Houston and hold stringent racial beliefs you are simply trying to grasp onto something that never existed in the first place. It is hard to intellectually do that so most people can't

Old 11-01-2011, 03:05 PM

644 posts, read 1,353,477 times
Re-read my post. I NEVER said that everyone in Houston is racist, in fact it may be true that there is more racism where I come from. What I did say was that it seemed to me that people were more open about it in Houston. Maybe it's a southern thing, I have no idea. But, I'm not the only one to notice this.

And as far as the word "ghetto" being racist... I have no idea why everyone is getting so worked up because I think it is a racist term. That is just my opinion and the opinion of many people I know... I don't claim to be an expert, I'm just surprised how often it is used here. Where I come from, it was hardly ever used. Sheesh... everyone relax about it! I like Houston. I wanted to move to Houston. I much prefer Houston over where I came from. I was just responding to the thread and I assumed it was asking for my opinion, which I gave.

Seriously, relax....

Old 11-02-2011, 12:07 AM

12,498 posts, read 26,987,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neworleansisprettygood View Post
I went to Rice for three semesters and then lived there for a while after "the storm" (I'm not saying it).
The thing I liked most about Houston was the most unexpected- the very liberal, intellectual vibe I got from a lot of people. The thing I liked the least was that up until right before I moved back home I couldn't figure the city out- whoever said that it's like a bunch of cities next to each other was right. It felt like about 500 small southern towns all smashed together, with one having an IKEA, the next a Costco, etc.
I didn't know you could find those in small southern towns.

Old 11-02-2011, 10:52 PM

725 posts, read 1,240,556 times
I somewhat agree, and somewhat disagree with vegankris. Ghetto is almost always used as a code word to describe minorities. The parallel word when used to describe white people is generally white trash, poor, or uneducated. Ghetto hasn't been really been used to describe white people since probably WWII.

Now does that make the person using ghetto racist? Not necessarily. More than likely, they are simply trying to identify the quality of a person as well as identifying that the person in question isn't white.

Old 11-03-2011, 04:16 AM

15,982 posts, read 35,206,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neworleansisprettygood View Post
I went to Rice for three semesters and then lived there for a while after "the storm" (I'm not saying it).
The thing I liked most about Houston was the most unexpected- the very liberal, intellectual vibe I got from a lot of people. The thing I liked the least was that up until right before I moved back home I couldn't figure the city out- whoever said that it's like a bunch of cities next to each other was right. It felt like about 500 small southern towns all smashed together, with one having an IKEA, the next a Costco, etc.
That makes entirely no sense. Elaborate.

Old 11-03-2011, 04:53 AM

4,244 posts, read 8,759,365 times
My first initial reaction was full of Bandit signs, Illegals and over grown weeds along the roads/sidewalks, you'll eventually get used to it.

Old 11-03-2011, 05:00 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,405,055 times
natural beauty and excellent food.
of course that was 1962.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston