Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2011, 07:17 AM

28 posts, read 88,210 times

Advertisements

My husband and i have moved here this August and we love it! We came from NJ (..yeah, i know) so the amount of space and warm weather is just soothing. I personally think this was the best decision we have ever made. I really like the city and what it has to offer with regards to people (reaaally nice compared to what we were used to) area and everything. The number of restaurants and different choices for ethnic food is really comparable to that of NYC. Houston is not as "cheap" as we were expecing coming from expensive NJ. Whenever we talked about our move everyone seamed to always talk about how cheap it is to live in Texas. Perhaps it is, in the countryside, but certainly not in Houston. We were expectig our car insurance to be cut in half (since NJ has one of the highest rates in the country) and what a surprise we got after getting a policy here and not seeing a dime of savings. But anyway, we would not go back at any rate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2011, 06:52 PM

1,574 posts, read 2,964,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alamakota View Post
My husband and i have moved here this August and we love it! We came from NJ (..yeah, i know) so the amount of space and warm weather is just soothing. I personally think this was the best decision we have ever made. I really like the city and what it has to offer with regards to people (reaaally nice compared to what we were used to) area and everything. The number of restaurants and different choices for ethnic food is really comparable to that of NYC. Houston is not as "cheap" as we were expecing coming from expensive NJ. Whenever we talked about our move everyone seamed to always talk about how cheap it is to live in Texas. Perhaps it is, in the countryside, but certainly not in Houston. We were expectig our car insurance to be cut in half (since NJ has one of the highest rates in the country) and what a surprise we got after getting a policy here and not seeing a dime of savings. But anyway, we would not go back at any rate.
To say that Houston compares to NYC in terms of ethnic cuisine is ludicrous.

Old 11-03-2011, 07:17 PM

125 posts, read 198,331 times
I think people in Houston are less racist than most places up north. The people of Houston can talk openly about it meaning that they are a level or two past the people up north. Up north, they are still walking on egg shells as it relates to talking about race, which may make it seem on the exterior as if they are less racist, because they just stick to the script of being politically correct in all situations.

Old 11-03-2011, 07:35 PM

Location: Where nothing ever grows. No rain or rivers flow, Texas
1,085 posts, read 1,580,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Dollar View Post
she has no idea what she's talking about. its normal tho to think that way when you need to move.
there are a lot of 'crappy' food in NYC tho, especially the ones from places that are trying to be different. one place I tried was this nice upbeat tibetan restaurant. the waitresses were hot and from that region. my problem was I didnt like eating fried roots. it was interesting tho especially on a date. I doubt you'll find anything like that around here

Old 11-03-2011, 08:33 PM

8,030 posts, read 9,048,730 times
Quote:
That was rude.
Did you miss the part they said they relocated from NJ? So NYC was probably the closest large metro in which to draw a comparison.

Old 11-04-2011, 10:26 AM

12 posts, read 26,891 times
Traffic was a bit overwhelming.

Biggest dissappointment would be the lack of nearby farmers' markets/local produce stands. Moved from PA Dutch country, so access to local produce was as normal there as a traffic jam is here. Being in Katy, going into downtown Houston for a farmers' market just isn't something worthwhile.

The attitude here is much more pleasant than the NE mentality. Even though people drive like demons here, I don't feel my stress levels rise as soon as I get on the highway like I did in PA.

Really miss cheesesteaks and good pizzeria style pizzas.

The summers here aren't as bad as people make them out to be. PA in August can be oppressively humid, plus the low temps aren't much lower than the high temps. So, the Houston weather is actually pretty tolerable...especially considering in the lack of snow.

Old 11-04-2011, 10:36 AM

217 posts, read 640,169 times
I love Houston so much. i moved here a LONG time ago - 1979 - from New Hampshire. i love the big city. Still to this day, when I hit 288 and the beltway and see that skyline, I think "MY city" I know its not my "home town" but it feels like home to me.
Some of the things that were really different to me - and of course I came from a very rural environment - was of course the traffic. And all the places to eat. And Mexican Food! YAY! LOVE the mexican food (still... and even the "crappy" mexican food - I love it ALL!). One of my memories of something different was my first job was at a restaurant and it took me about two hours to realize when someone ordered "tea" they wanted "iced tea" not hot tea. Yea they all got a good laugh out of me on that one. About four tables that i served hot tea to - it was so funny! and then I also remember my first big rain storm up in Kingwood. I was at the restaurant and up in NH when it rains it is pretty gentle. The wind was howling and the rain just smashing down - I was petrified! I don't know if it was a tropical storm rain or just my first Houston rain storm but it really did shake me up. Now I live south of Houston but I still love my Houston. I love all the concerts, all the festivals, all the people, I love shopping at Fiesta, I love hearing spanish in the grocery stores and restaurants, I love the Heights and Montrose and Downtown (riding a motorcycle through downtown and going just the right speed to hit every light green!) and well.. I could go on and on. And of course, i love that on a day off, you only have to drive an hour to be at the beach! and that there has always been work for me - no matter what I was doing at any particular time - I have always been able to find a job...

Old 11-04-2011, 11:27 AM

12,498 posts, read 26,979,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usc619 View Post
My first initial reaction was full of Bandit signs, Illegals and over grown weeds along the roads/sidewalks, you'll eventually get used to it.
So get involved in your community & get out there with a weed whacker.

Just a suggestion.

Old 11-04-2011, 12:23 PM

2,639 posts, read 8,285,669 times
Quote:
I dont think you would find another city aside from NYC or SF that has the ethnic choices this city offers. Very far from ludicrous!

Old 11-04-2011, 12:53 PM

Location: Where nothing ever grows. No rain or rivers flow, Texas
1,085 posts, read 1,580,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westres1 View Post
I dont think you would find another city aside from NYC or SF that has the ethnic choices this city offers. Very far from ludicrous!
The areas on the other side of the Hudson, in NJ has better food options than Houston. Ironbound Newark(portugese/brazilian/etc), Jersey city(international/asian), Hoboken, Fort Lee(Korean) and Edgewater.. all within public transportation routes and rail
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston