Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2011, 08:18 PM

188 posts, read 374,491 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBoy205 View Post
I hate when HBCUs don't get the credit that they deserve. That just urks my nerves. You should give TSU a try too. I attend an HBCU, and it (an HBCU) is one of the best kinds of universities/colleges ever. One-on-one help, smaller class setting, more hands-on assignments, and cheaper tuition. College is what you make it, so don't think that going TSU will be doomsday because there are several kids who attend TSU and other HBCUs that will actually be ssomebody. BTW, I attend Alabama A&M University, and I'm doing quite fine, working my way up to the top!
I agree with Southern Boy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2011, 08:21 PM

12,733 posts, read 21,646,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cammyspot View Post
I agree with Southern Boy.

Old 10-27-2011, 08:52 PM

1,574 posts, read 2,952,074 times
Well, TSU and it's problems are widely publicised. I dated a girl who goes there, and she hates it. If you want to make the best decision for your future, you need to go with UH.

Old 10-27-2011, 09:09 PM

3,842 posts, read 8,222,154 times
Quote:
I hate when HBCUs don't get the credit that they deserve. That just urks my nerves. You should give TSU a try too. I attend an HBCU, and it (an HBCU) is one of the best kinds of universities/colleges ever. One-on-one help, smaller class setting, more hands-on assignments, and cheaper tuition. College is what you make it, so don't think that going TSU will be doomsday because there are several kids who attend TSU and other HBCUs that will actually be ssomebody. BTW, I attend Alabama A&M University, and I'm doing quite fine, working my way up to the top!
TSU has all kinds of serious management problems. Really bad. Now Prairie View on the other hand - great reputation in engineering. I used to work for a NASA contractor, and there were lots and lots of people from PVAMU and Southern, and 2 people in my group were from Alabama A&M!

Old 10-27-2011, 09:19 PM

12,733 posts, read 21,646,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielWayne View Post
TSU has all kinds of serious management problems. Really bad. Now Prairie View on the other hand - great reputation in engineering. I used to work for a NASA contractor, and there were lots and lots of people from PVAMU and Southern, and 2 people in my group were from Alabama A&M!
YAAAAAAY! A&M has smart kids, including me, who are in the engineering program. Like I said, college is what you make out of it. The OP may not even like UH or the other school if he decides on either one. I just wanted to let y'all know that HBCUs are great schools as well.

Old 10-27-2011, 09:46 PM

875 posts, read 1,652,931 times
Default TSU= Last Choice

Quote:
I understand but i don't look at schools in terms of color. I see a school for the types of programs that is offers for me to excel. I am AA and I suppose I can say that HBCU's are great, but the only HBCU's that I would probably like is Howard or Florida A & M. Ive herd of TSU for pharmacy and law but not for business so I think TSU would be my absolute last choice.

Old 10-27-2011, 09:46 PM

563 posts, read 905,929 times
Are you going to need help finding a job after you graduate with your MS? If so, I would call all of the school's career services offices and ask them about job placement and what is that the given school helps you with when looking for a job. I know a lot of employers look to hire from UH main and actually go to their campus and recruit large volume of students.

I'm only saying this because I went to UHCL and graduated at the top of my class with a BS in Finance and a 4.0 (out of almost 200 students, by the way) and had a really hard time finding a job. I too was drawn in by the cheaper tuition as well as its closeness to my house and work (I worked 40 and went to school full time). If I had it to do over again I would definitely pay the extra tuition for the reputation that comes with the Bauer College of Business.

Old 10-27-2011, 09:48 PM

So U of H main seems to be the best choice

Old 10-27-2011, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MobileDave View Post
Are you going to need help finding a job after you graduate with your MS? If so, I would call all of the school's career services offices and ask them about job placement and what is that the given school helps you with when looking for a job. I know a lot of employers look to hire from UH main and actually go to their campus and recruit large volume of students.

I'm only saying this because I went to UHCL and graduated at the top of my class with a BS in Finance and a 4.0 (out of almost 200 students, by the way) and had a really hard time finding a job. I too was drawn in by the cheaper tuition as well as its closeness to my house and work (I worked 40 and went to school full time). If I had it to do over again I would definitely pay the extra tuition for the reputation that comes with the Bauer College of Business.
WOW i did not know that the school you go to is that important. Ive herd really good things about U of H- Clear Lake especially their MSA program. But it seems that U of H-Main is the way to go..Thanks man best advise ive had all day.

Old 10-27-2011, 09:55 PM

8,891 posts, read 19,889,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MobileDave View Post

Could it be the economy? My friend's daughter got the finance degree at U of H main campus - couldn't find a job - now she is a school teacher.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston