Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2011, 02:51 PM

4,760 posts, read 13,822,318 times

Advertisements

I have family coming to visit for Thanksgiving and one of my family members needs completely gluten-free food as she becomes very sick if she eats any of it.

We know how to make gluten-free food, but before I buy all the ingredients, I'm trying to figure out if there are any local restaurants that serve a fairly traditional Thanksgiving dinner that is also gluten-free.

Any recommendations?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2011, 03:36 PM

6,870 posts, read 14,850,609 times
You could always just make a stop at Whole Foods and see if they have any ready made gluten free meals available.

Honestly, does this family member need an entirely separate meal? Why can't he or she eat what everyone else is having and just skip out on the food containing gluten. I thought gluten was only in wheat products. I could just be ignorant about it all as I've never known anyone who becomes very sick from gluten but I do have a sister who won't eat anything with it because it's the new thing everyone is making a fuss about. When she gets like that we just let her make her own meals that are free from every possible toxic item that she grew up on.

Old 11-13-2011, 05:39 PM

4,760 posts, read 13,822,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westhou View Post
You could always just make a stop at Whole Foods and see if they have any ready made gluten free meals available.

Honestly, does this family member need an entirely separate meal? Why can't he or she eat what everyone else is having and just skip out on the food containing gluten. I thought gluten was only in wheat products.
Here is the amazingly huge list of foods/ingredients that have gluten in them: Unsafe Gluten-Free Food List (Unsafe Ingredients) - Celiac.com

I know that Whole Foods has a lot of gluten-free foods. It just sounds a bit more fun to go to a restaurant than to spend an entire day cooking and cleaning up.

Old 11-13-2011, 05:50 PM

23,968 posts, read 15,063,270 times
Thanks for the link, Topaz.

My daughter, who has scleroderma, went gluten free and it has made a huge improvement in the way she feels.

This list helps me.

Old 11-13-2011, 06:01 PM

6,870 posts, read 14,850,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Topaz View Post
Here is the amazingly huge list of foods/ingredients that have gluten in them: Unsafe Gluten-Free Food List (Unsafe Ingredients) - Celiac.com

I know that Whole Foods has a lot of gluten-free foods. It just sounds a bit more fun to go to a restaurant than to spend an entire day cooking and cleaning up.
I think it's going to be near impossible to find a restaurant like that in Sugar Land but you may be able to find something in the Inner loop.

Good luck.

Old 11-13-2011, 06:26 PM

9,273 posts, read 26,486,142 times
Tres Market (just east of the Beltway on Memorial) will make an entire Gluten free T-day dinner for you or just some side dishes. You have to pre-order though. Like now.

Old 11-14-2011, 10:30 AM

1,822 posts, read 2,000,241 times
One bad aspect about restaurants is that they don't list the ingredients that they put in their food. Even if they say it's gluten-free, there have been reported instances of mistakes being made. Unfortunately, there are many people working in the food industry who are minimum wage and/or not necessarily educated and skilled in areas such as nutrition. Why risk something healthwise for a family member, when you can control it much better on your own?

Just leave out wheat, oats, rye, and barley from whatever you're serving. That will guarantee no gluten. You don't have to go to any special place to get food. Just look at the ingredients...

Last edited by Sunderpig2; 11-14-2011 at 10:43 AM..

Old 11-14-2011, 02:16 PM

8,309 posts, read 38,766,834 times
If you guys typically cook your Thanksgiving meals, it probably isn't going to be that big of a deal to prepare a gluten-free turkey (you've probably had gluten free turkey most years in the past) and a couple of gluten-free side items along with your usual accoutrement. You'll find tons of recipes online for things like gluten-free cornbread dressing, sweet potato pie, gravy, green-bean casserole, etc. etc. One thing about the ingredients to remember is that "other spices" and several catch-all ingredients often include gluten (as will just about any "cream of" soup in a can). You can't necessarily rely on the strict ommission of wheat, oats, rye and barley.

It's not just something new that everyone is freaking out over, celiac disease and gluten-intolerance have been around for as long as there have been people - it's just it's gone viral in the last few years. I think that there are a lot of people eating gluten-free for no good reason, but there are other people who really can't have any measure of gluten in their food or they're going to suffer, have stunted growth, develop arthritis and die of GI cancers before 70.

Old 11-14-2011, 02:30 PM

1,822 posts, read 2,000,241 times
That's true. Most traditional Thanksgiving foods - other than dressing - do not contain gluten.

Most foods are (meats, fruits, nuts, vegetables, and dairy products) are gluten-free. It's only when you start talking about grains - and adding them to other foods - do you start to cross over into "gluten land" :-)

Old 11-14-2011, 02:46 PM

660 posts, read 1,615,849 times
i see a lot on b 4 u eat website then click gluten free restaurant

http://www.b4-u-eat.com/houston/rest...luten-free.asp
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston