Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2011, 01:32 PM

3,283 posts, read 6,051,955 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by statisticsnerd View Post
Well, I've lived here all 26 years of my life.

My reasons:

1. It is FILTHY. I was flying into Hobby once and noticed that we were descending into a disgusting brown smog bubble. I see that same gross brown bubble many days on the way in to work too.

2. It is covered in ghettos. I can't drive around at night in many areas without worrying about being carjacked or shot.

3. The land is flat and ugly. Driving up from Lake Jackson on 288, there is flat land all around you and as you approach the city all of a sudden you see this patch of skyscrapers with nothing around it. Just flat land and cow pastures.

4. All of the suburbs are newly constructed concrete jungles (except The Woodlands). No character whatsoever, just McMansions everywhere.

5. There is nothing to do. You can go to the bar or go to the movie theater. Maybe the mall, but that is about it. Sure we have a few crappy museums, but once you've seen them once you won't be missing anything if you never visit again. They are far from world class.

6. The people are nasty, arrogant, and rude. I can't tell you how many times I've encountered nasty waiters/waitresses and retail workers here. Out in public, people aren't friendly towards each other at all. Everyone seems like they are in a mad rush here, always busy and short on time. Not laid back by any stretch of the imagination.

7. The traffic is HORRIBLE. It takes me an hour and a half to drive to work in the morning and I live 30 miles away. The drivers are aggressive and will speed up to block you if you put on your turn signal, they honk and weave in and out of traffic. I must say the jerkwads in these big F-350s are the absolute worst a-holes on the road.
the Menil is a world class museum and rated one of the museums that you have to see before you die. the HMFA is also considered a world class museum. the children's museum here is highly ranked as well as the holocaust museum. If you can't think of anything to do other than visit a mall or go see a movie i am highly suspicious of you either being a boring individual or a teenager from a suburb, not from Houston

why would anyone want to go to Lake Jackson? if you are from there I can understand why you think "Houston" is crappy, but that area isn't Houston. It's Lake Jackson

if the only thing you like is a massive suburb... well that's odd

houston's air pollution is getting better and other large cities have a similar smog effect

covered in "ghettos." well Ms. Woodlands, I guess that is just the type of person you are. Makes it seem odd the amount of people that are flooding into Houston itself. You know all the "ghetto" neighborhoods that are thought of as some of the nicest places in the Houston area

if you judge the friendliness of a city by bar staff and waitresses that is also odd.

Old 11-20-2011, 01:46 PM

2,945 posts, read 4,991,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by testmo View Post
the Menil is a world class museum and rated one of the museums that you have to see before you die. the HMFA is also considered a world class museum. the children's museum here is highly ranked as well as the holocaust museum. If you can't think of anything to do other than visit a mall or go see a movie i am highly suspicious of you either being a boring individual or a teenager from a suburb, not from Houston

why would anyone want to go to Lake Jackson? if you are from there I can understand why you think "Houston" is crappy, but that area isn't Houston. It's Lake Jackson

houston's air pollution is getting better and other large cities have a similar smog effect

covered in "ghettos." well Ms. Woodlands, I guess that is just the type of person you are. Makes it seem odd the amount of people that are flooding into Houston itself. You know all the "ghetto" neighborhoods that are thought of as some of the nicest places in the Houston area

if you judge the friendliness of a city by bar staff and waitresses that is also odd.
The Menil isn't that great. I had to visit for school and just about fell over when I realized the Cy Twombly museum was part of the assignment. I have those SAME chicken scratch swirls in a trunk from elementary. I imagine most do and even parents will be getting those same drawings tomorrow when the kids come home from school.

Old 11-20-2011, 01:48 PM

12,735 posts, read 21,779,367 times
Quote:

My reasons:

1. It is FILTHY. I was flying into Hobby once and noticed that we were descending into a disgusting brown smog bubble. I see that same gross brown bubble many days on the way in to work too.

2. It is covered in ghettos. I can't drive around at night in many areas without worrying about being carjacked or shot.

3. The land is flat and ugly. Driving up from Lake Jackson on 288, there is flat land all around you and as you approach the city all of a sudden you see this patch of skyscrapers with nothing around it. Just flat land and cow pastures.

4. All of the suburbs are newly constructed concrete jungles (except The Woodlands). No character whatsoever, just McMansions everywhere.

5. There is nothing to do. You can go to the bar or go to the movie theater. Maybe the mall, but that is about it. Sure we have a few crappy museums, but once you've seen them once you won't be missing anything if you never visit again. They are far from world class.

6. The people are nasty, arrogant, and rude. I can't tell you how many times I've encountered nasty waiters/waitresses and retail workers here. Out in public, people aren't friendly towards each other at all. Everyone seems like they are in a mad rush here, always busy and short on time. Not laid back by any stretch of the imagination.

7. The traffic is HORRIBLE. It takes me an hour and a half to drive to work in the morning and I live 30 miles away. The drivers are aggressive and will speed up to block you if you put on your turn signal, they honk and weave in and out of traffic. I must say the jerkwads in these big F-350s are the absolute worst a-holes on the road.
You seem unhappy in Houston. I hope everything gets better for you!

Old 11-20-2011, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DejaBlue View Post
The Menil isn't that great. I had to visit for school and just about fell over when I realized the Cy Twombly museum was part of the assignment. I have those SAME chicken scratch swirls in a trunk from elementary. I imagine most do and even parents will be getting those same drawings tomorrow when the kids come home from school.

i imagine you aren't into art much

you can see his art displayed in museums around the world and the met in nyc. he in general is considered a major influential artist

that exhibit was awesome and really cool Houston got it

but picasso was just strange figures and wide lines right? *wink*

Old 11-20-2011, 01:56 PM

2,945 posts, read 4,991,946 times
Quote:

i imagine you aren't into art much

you can see his art displayed in museums around the world and the met in nyc. he in general is considered a major influential artist

that exhibit was awesome and really cool Houston got it

but picasso was just strange figures and wide lines right? *wink*
I'm very much into art but I'm in line with those who don't find scribbles, Jackson Pollack very stimulating and "art"
The Rothko museum annoyed me as well.

Now Picasso was art IMO. There's some rhyme and reason to those figures and quirks.

Just scribbles and paint splatters is childish. Anyone can be famous with that type of artwork. I'm surprised more aren't. Maybe that's the reason so many think their kids are prodigies. Hey my son is the next Pollack. No sir, he's just being bad and splattering paint.

I prefer impressionist work but art doesn't have to be structured and such. But the scribbles make me question it sometimes.

Old 11-20-2011, 02:40 PM

Okay so you have a preference in what period and class of art you like. Does not make a world famous artists work "chicken scratch". I can assure you a person who knows, creates, critics fine art can look at your kids scribbles and tell you they suck and look like a kid's scribbles

no one who is "into art" calls the work "scribbles"

some of pollocks pieces took weeks/months/years to create. there is actually rhyme and reason to a lot of post impressionism/modern art. it just isn't so blatant

Old 11-20-2011, 03:18 PM

2,223 posts, read 5,487,090 times
Quote:

Compared to Mexico, Houston is a paradise.

Old 11-20-2011, 03:43 PM

385 posts, read 968,049 times
Quote:

My reasons:

1.All major cities are dirty.
2. all cities have ghettos. I often visit the worst hoods w/o any issues.
3.this part of the Country is flat. not really an issue with Houston.
4.suburbs are newly constructed? the discussion is about the city nobody cares about the suburbs. all suburbs suck.
5. I have plenty to do every single day. In fact I don't have enough time to do all the things I want to do. You must very lonely boring person.
6.now your just being mean. if I get a mean waiter I get the manager. this is very rare though. also its a city, all cities people are in a rush
7.traffic is bad? welcome to every city in North America.

Your problem isn't with Houston but the Urban lifestyle. You sound like a bigot and the city is not the place for you.

Old 11-20-2011, 04:07 PM

18,130 posts, read 25,286,567 times
Quote:
99% of cities in the Midwest are flat.

Old 11-20-2011, 04:48 PM

563 posts, read 910,342 times
Quote:

My reasons:

Poor guy. I would hate to live 26 years out in the boondocks around lake Jackson. Any person from a small town (no, you don't live in Houston) would have a hard time just driving into a big city. I know my grandma lives in a small town and she complains about these same things when she comes to Houston to visit.

Have you ever thought about getting a job where you live out there in the boonies? Houston has a way of chewing up the weak and homely and spitting them out. Maybe I could give you my grandma's number and she could show you around some bingo halls were you might find more like-minded people that go at your same pace. Be forewarned: "Meany heads" are known to frequent these kind of establishments as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston