Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2011, 05:17 PM

3,283 posts, read 6,014,209 times

Advertisements

"lesbian cowgirl bar" are you referring to the old Chances? It is being renovated but into a restaurant and brew pub. quite a bit different
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2011, 08:17 AM

6,345 posts, read 8,059,466 times
Htownlove gives good advice on Montrose.

The neighborhood is great, if you want to be close to the some gay nightlife. It's much nicer than the area near 59/Beltway 8. It's close to 4-5 grocery stores. There is a new HEB Pantry and the Krogers was renovated recently. Randall's and Fiesta's are close by also. Depending on where you live, you could walk to the grocery store and back. On Westheimer, you will have access to a great bus rout, the 82 Westheimer to run to the Galleria or the 42 to run to Downtown. There was always a bus arriving, every 10 minutes.

I didn't recommend Montrose, because you were looking for under $550.
For under $550, the studio apartments are rundown though. I stayed in a studio at Hawthorne and Yupon in Montrose, 10 years ago. The rent was $350 for about 350 sq feet. The place was a dump, though. It was built in the '60s. The plumbing was so old that rust would settle in the water. You would have to run the water for a bit, so that it would turn from brown to clear. There was only 1 laundry facility and it had 2 washers and 2 dryers. My wet clothes got pulled out by an angry tenant and thrown in the trash, when I didn't put them in the dryer fast enough.

Duplexes and four-plexes are a great idea. The rent will be slighty higher than your range for passable. These units are privately owned and don't do much advertising. You can find them on craigslist or backpage. However, you would have to be in Houston already. The best way to find the deals is by driving around looking for yard signs. Making a list of addresses and phone numbers, then calling them up. Rent prices are negotiable.

Old 11-20-2011, 11:47 AM

18,495 posts, read 32,772,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by move4ward View Post
Htownlove gives good advice on Montrose.

The neighborhood is great, if you want to be close to the some gay nightlife. It's much nicer than the area near 59/Beltway 8. It's close to 4-5 grocery stores. There is a new HEB Pantry and the Krogers was renovated recently. Randall's and Fiesta's are close by also. Depending on where you live, you could walk to the grocery store and back. On Westheimer, you will have access to a great bus rout, the 82 Westheimer to run to the Galleria or the 42 to run to Downtown. There was always a bus arriving, every 10 minutes.

I didn't recommend Montrose, because you were looking for under $550.
For under $550, the studio apartments are rundown though. I stayed in a studio at Hawthorne and Yupon in Montrose, 10 years ago. The rent was $350 for about 350 sq feet. The place was a dump, though. It was built in the '60s. The plumbing was so old that rust would settle in the water. You would have to run the water for a bit, so that it would turn from brown to clear. There was only 1 laundry facility and it had 2 washers and 2 dryers. My wet clothes got pulled out by an angry tenant and thrown in the trash, when I didn't put them in the dryer fast enough.

Duplexes and four-plexes are a great idea. The rent will be slighty higher than your range for passable. These units are privately owned and don't do much advertising. You can find them on craigslist or backpage. However, you would have to be in Houston already. The best way to find the deals is by driving around looking for yard signs. Making a list of addresses and phone numbers, then calling them up. Rent prices are negotiable.
yeah everything there ^^^ is spot on. I think I even looked at the same studio on Hawthorne about 8 yrs ago. The place was really run down. the studio the Landlord showed me had uneven floors, the room looked damp, he didn't even tell the tenant he was coming, he just knocked and open the door and the tenant was looking at him like wth???

anyway, I agree. You may find cheap, but its not going to be pretty. Once you get passed $600 its going to get better. Even better find a roommate, you each pay $500 and you are gonna be living much more comfortably.

Old 11-20-2011, 11:58 AM

69 posts, read 143,737 times
TMI. You don't really need to detail your whole life on this thread.

Old 11-20-2011, 12:14 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,772,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kuntz View Post
TMI. You don't really need to detail your whole life on this thread.
who? the OP? all she said was she was a lesbian and asked if she would adapt. that is not TMI at all. We are in the 21st century
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: