Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2011, 06:39 PM

8,895 posts, read 19,997,888 times

Advertisements

You'll adjust to the heat - maybe not to point that the native Houstonians do, but you'll learn to do things outdoors very early in the morning or very late in the evening. Other than that, you will be in a/c bldgs and cars.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2011, 07:07 PM

594 posts, read 1,249,536 times
Sure the heat and humidity can be overbearing but I would never let it be a deal breaker for a career move.

Anyone can get used to it. My husband is from the mid west and he loves the heat and humidity.

You will work around it for some time until you become acclimated. It's really no big deal.

Old 11-20-2011, 11:12 PM

3,536 posts, read 12,328,643 times
I moved from Michigan. The weather if fine for me. The humidity is sometimes unbearable in the mornings, but it burns off and gets better. This summer we seemed to have endless days over 100 degrees. Once, my car said it was 118 degrees! It's fine. You get used to it. Everything is air conditioned. Electric bills are high in the summer, but really low in the winter.

Old 11-21-2011, 05:06 AM

69 posts, read 144,597 times
I sincerely thank everyone for your inputs, suggestions and kindness. Thank you, Houstonians...

Old 11-21-2011, 10:02 AM

18,495 posts, read 32,949,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kuntz View Post
I sincerely thank everyone for your inputs, suggestions and kindness. Thank you, Houstonians...
Honestly if you don't intend to prance around in a a nylon dress mid day in the summer you will be fine.

Old 11-21-2011, 10:40 AM

1,574 posts, read 2,965,962 times
If you have any type of sinus or asthma, then Houston will be tough. The humidty and the pollution combined are going to give you chronic problems. Even if you have never had sinus issues, you probably will have some stuffy, sneezy days here.

Th heat and humidty throughout the 7 month summer does wear you down, but the 5 months of nice weather are awesome.

Old 11-21-2011, 10:44 AM

1,822 posts, read 2,001,704 times
Quote:
I am about to accept a job offer to work at the VA Medical Center on Holcombe Blvd in downtown Houston. I will have to give my employer my final notice this coming Wednesday and I need your inputs.
I will be making close to $100K and I have a wife with 2 small children (2 and 6).
I heard Pearland could be a good fit for schools and commute. Do you also think I should be able to handle the heat and humidity as I am moving from the Washington, DC area to Houston? How terrible is the commute? Is it similar to what we go through here in DC? Is the air really polluted?
I would truly appreciate any other suggestions.
Houston and DC are fairly similar as to heat, humidity, and racial diversity. Houston is much larger and more polluted though. The pollution bothers me terribly, and it's getting worse as I get older (both the pollution and its effects). Others have commented on the commute, and much will depend on how long of a drive you can put up with.

Pearland is okay in some ways, but I've found it to be have rather stuck-up and snooty/snotty people, with overzealous police that go way overboard with their shenanigans (including racing out in front of traffic to catch somebody going 3 miles over the speed limit). They put more people in jeopardy than they help, in my opinion. But some people around here like that old west / big bravado approach. I know I'd never live there...

Old 11-21-2011, 11:51 AM
cla

898 posts, read 3,308,023 times
I find Houston's humidity much more bearable than the humidity in New Orleans.

Old 11-21-2011, 12:08 PM

1,408 posts, read 4,053,873 times
Quote:
Good luck! From memory, DC gets hot in the summer too. Just imagine the hottest and most humid day in DC, and that's how it is in Houston for about 3 months. But the humidity and heat last about 7 months from April-October. It's warm now in November(80's), but we get cool fronts every week or so.

Old 11-21-2011, 03:58 PM

5,429 posts, read 14,841,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunderpig View Post
The pollution bothers me terribly, and it's getting worse as I get older (both the pollution and its effects).
It's getting so much worse, really?

8-hour Ozone trends

AQI, Houston 2000-2010

Ozone concentrations in PPM

24-hour Particulate Matter trends

8-hour ozone, Los Angeles vs Houston
(Regarding this last one, I believe 1999/2000 were something of fluke years for Houston on ozone... Al Gore and others made sure to take full advantage of that timing.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston