Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2011, 06:57 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,943,565 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
This is interesting.
Higher-density housing allowed outside the loop with new city proposal | Prime Property | a Chron.com blog

So if this passes and they finally adopt it, the same type of townhomes, dense single family homes, and apartment midrises will be built in areas outside the loop now.
Imagine the entire Houston beltway area developing with inner loop density. That would mean about 4M people inside the beltway. We would definitely need some major Public Transit system then.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2011, 10:15 PM

Location: Where nothing ever grows. No rain or rivers flow, Texas
1,085 posts, read 1,580,954 times
maybe we can finally use our many park and rides here on westpark

Old 11-30-2011, 12:50 AM

2,188 posts, read 3,217,044 times
those inner loop apt. folks people raise families eventually...they're not sending them to HISD schools so what's their purpose of building only to see them leave?

Old 11-30-2011, 01:54 AM

385 posts, read 967,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hbcu View Post
those inner loop apt. folks people raise families eventually...they're not sending them to HISD schools so what's their purpose of building only to see them leave?
There are plenty of private schools around if that is a concern.

Old 11-30-2011, 03:54 AM

875 posts, read 1,661,316 times
Default Inside Loop Luxury

Quote:
I think the upscale apartments are good for the loop and outside the loop. Who said you cant raise your family or send them to a "good school" in HISD inside the loop. I think the apartments/town homes that are going to be build will change the whole idea that going to the suburbs gives you a better choice for living and education for your children. I am young and believe it or not I want to raise my family inside the loop. One thing that i have also noticed is how picky some parents get with school districts (especially non natives). I understand that. But HISD is not a bad school district. I think its over exaggerated a little of how bad it is. HISD has some good school but its all about location. They have good schools inside the loop especially for arts and science programs. I don't think you cant get programs like these anywhere else in the metro.

Another thing is that it seem people are "running away" from neighborhoods here like there are just "god awful" bad, which they are not compared to other places. Just because the area looks bad does not always means it is. People think that Greenspoint is a bad area, but my father has lived there for 30 years and he has never complained. If you drive pass the mall and go inside the neighborhoods you will notice that it is very quiet in some parts.

Never Judge a Book by it Cover. I guess this statement can be applied to all of Houston. Hopefully theses apartments will help change Houston cover a little. Just wish they were more high rises.

Old 11-30-2011, 12:32 PM

4,875 posts, read 10,070,126 times
Quote:
I'm not sure if I told you this, but I am a White person in a White family. I attended some private school but mostly HISD magnets. Some HISD schools are pretty popular with White people

Old 11-30-2011, 12:38 PM

2,271 posts, read 5,146,753 times
Quote:
Erm...some of us gay DINKS ain't havin' it. If the area is desirable enough, though, there will always be people to move in. In any case, most urban areas have poor quality inner-city schools and most people moving into such areas prepare for that, or at least I hope they would.

Old 12-01-2011, 12:10 AM

2,188 posts, read 3,217,044 times
HISD has alot of empty schools because of white flight, then black flight, etc....putting all those apartments won't improve the district....put some affordable, almost upscale single family homes and that'll change

Old 12-01-2011, 07:20 AM

2,271 posts, read 5,146,753 times
Building houses doesn't help that. People don't move to a neighborhood because of a house...They move for the area. Main reason why Houston has too many single family homes, anyway.

I don't think any of us (ex/soon-to-be) inner loop residents are interested in something that's "almost upscale." Sounds awful.

Old 12-01-2011, 07:48 AM

4,875 posts, read 10,070,126 times
Quote:
HISD has alot of empty schools because of white flight, then black flight, etc....putting all those apartments won't improve the district....put some affordable, almost upscale single family homes and that'll change
The black flight has occurred in central neighborhoods, due to gentrification. And on the east side and in some of the black neighborhoods outside 610 it doesn't seem to be so much gentrification as just decay of the neighborhood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston