Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2011, 01:38 PM

3,333 posts, read 9,129,919 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCH99 View Post
That's right. One has to work more harder.
Wait for the "racist" card......

Ronnie
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2011, 01:42 PM

114 posts, read 224,001 times
Wow I'm older than I thought, the highest score we could get is a 1600. Just because your child goes to a great school does not equate to high SAT. My cousin who scored a perfect score in math studied his behind off every moment in school, he had a drive in him that I hope my sons will have. The only reason he didn't get into Harvard is because he wasn't considered well rounded, but he got into every other Ivy League university. His school was ranked very low too.

Old 12-07-2011, 03:02 PM

3,333 posts, read 9,129,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cypresstosocal View Post
Wow I'm older than I thought, the highest score we could get is a 1600. Just because your child goes to a great school does not equate to high SAT. My cousin who scored a perfect score in math studied his behind off every moment in school, he had a drive in him that I hope my sons will have. The only reason he didn't get into Harvard is because he wasn't considered well rounded, but he got into every other Ivy League university. His school was ranked very low too.

Wow! Everybody else's kids/relatives are super smart. Rarely does anyone post that their kid is an underachiever.

My son flunked out of HS, went to jail, finished his GED in jail and now works at Dairy Queen.

No Ivy League here. Count your blessings.

Ronnie

Old 12-07-2011, 04:41 PM

644 posts, read 1,346,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonRonnie View Post
Wow! Everybody else's kids/relatives are super smart. Rarely does anyone post that their kid is an underachiever.

My son flunked out of HS, went to jail, finished his GED in jail and now works at Dairy Queen.

No Ivy League here. Count your blessings.

Ronnie
LOL!

It is NOT the end of the world if your child does not get into an ivy league school or a four year university for that matter. There is always community college and then if he/she does well there, the option opens up again for a four year university. Most of the time this is the more economical way to go and I have heard more than once that the individualized attention paid to the students is much better at your community colleges. Of course.... nothing wrong with being an over-achiever

Old 12-08-2011, 03:30 AM

114 posts, read 224,001 times
I think Ronnie is kidding We all know natural intelligence does not automatically lead to a successful personal and professional life. I believe social skills and drive/ambition and some maturity helps too, they stay away from drugs and alcohol. Also, one of my favorite commercials I saw years ago is when these friends are at a high school reunion asking what happened to the druggie loser of the school. And then someone says he's now a successful attorney or some other professional( can't remember exactly). But it was conveying second chances and in this country you definitely have second chances unlike other countries

Old 12-08-2011, 09:23 AM

4,900 posts, read 13,665,848 times
Mean SAT score at John Cooper is 1978 and 100% of students attend a 4 year college after graduation. Average SAT scores for Texas public school students is 995, not sure what the college placement rate is but only 68% of students in public schools graduate high school.

Old 12-08-2011, 10:08 AM

9,273 posts, read 26,373,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris_ut View Post
Mean SAT score at John Cooper is 1978 and 100% of students attend a 4 year college after graduation. Average SAT scores for Texas public school students is 995, not sure what the college placement rate is but only 68% of students in public schools graduate high school.

Most of the top private schools teach a lot of analytic thinking, latin roots, analogies etc. They spend more time on liberal arts and have more funds for science. The High Schools provide an hour of tutoring,called Advisory, before or after school each day. The students score much better on higher level standardized testing because of it. In our experience, answers required on homework,essays tests, and even multiple choice tests, require great thought, as all the answers are right. Just one is better. This is in every subject, every day. What they do with that education at the end of the day is certainly up to them.

Again, public schools students can receive a good education, but it really is up to the parents of this generation to provide enrichment,tutoring, testing courses etc. for their children. The schools just don't.

Old 01-10-2012, 10:04 PM

9 posts, read 15,650 times
We looked at Cooper but were not blown away with their graduation placement. Same as TWHS.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston