Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2011, 10:55 PM

12,735 posts, read 21,767,122 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DejaBlue View Post
Yep. And it's such a British thing. American singers are constantly trying to out kook each other in styles and outlandish stuff within pop/rock Lady Gaga, Katy Perry, Rihanna.

Yet British singers around the same age "get" it that pop is overdone and oversaturated and move into the "black" music of R&B and soul and get big. Joss Stone, Amy Winehouse, Adele.

Florence Welch has a odd yet good voice but she's just like the other crazy/kooky in style like the American pop singers we have so she's not as popular. Had she went soul like Adele she'd be just as big.

Blue-eyed soul works because it's so different for cookie cutter R&B. Afterwhile and really as it is now, most R&B singers tend to run together to where it's just another black girl singing R&B. Only a miniscule few stand out with a "hook" or "It" that makes them more than a dime a dozen.

You have to have a thing that makes you interesting and just being simply R&B doesn't cut it anymore. R&B pop worked for a few for a number of years then Destiny's Child came along and Beyonce's dominated and Diana Ross'ed the others out so now it's hard to be &B pop without an "It" factor. Rihanna had it adding rock to the mix then she just went a little ridiculous.

I always shake my head and go "Who" when I see Keri Hilson. There's nothing remotely interesting about her. She just sings R&B but has no "It" to make her more than that.

But that's the same with anyone. Look at 1999-2000. You had Britney, Christina and Jessica ALL come out at the same time but Jessica was just another blond girl singing pop. She had no "It" like the other two. Britney could dance which made her an entertainer and Christina had the voice so whatever she was singing people bought and listened to it. Jessica couldn't dance and didn't have the voice. She was phased out and a dime a dozen.
I agree!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2011, 04:20 AM

15,982 posts, read 35,194,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSykes View Post
I think that's precisely why these white artists tend to stand out so much. Black artists have cornered the market on soul and R&B for decades, so a white act who comes around and performs convincingly in the genre is obviously going to get a bit of attention. I don't think it necessarily detracts from the black legacy, though. If anything, it adds to it. "Blue-eyed soul" acts draw their inspiration from the same legendary black industry forbears as any black artist.
Black artists are actually more into the pop scene these days moreso than R&B and they still are failing.

Old 11-27-2011, 05:43 AM

827 posts, read 1,672,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
To be fair, Whitney kicked ass out of Country songs like Nobody Loves me like you do (15 weeks on top of the country charts for Anne Murray) and I will always love you (Dolly Parton).

Whitney was the Black Elvis. Spinning those white songs into Gold like Elvis spun those Black songs into gold. Then she met Bobby
I prefered Dolly's over Whitney's version any day of the week I'm not saying Whitney isn't a ood singer, BUT the original is usually the best [but some aren't]

Old 11-27-2011, 08:06 AM

18,495 posts, read 32,929,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoxCar Willie View Post
I prefered Dolly's over Whitney's version any day of the week I'm not saying Whitney isn't a ood singer, BUT the original is usually the best [but some aren't]
I agree that the original is usually the best, but I disagree in this case. I like both, but Whitney took a great but obscure song and turned it into a masterpiece.

Old 11-27-2011, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoxCar Willie View Post
I much prefer Whitney's. Whitney's version actually isn't even country. They're both good though. I love Here You Come Again by Dolly!

Another good one is Beyonce vs Reba. Reba killed If I were a boy; lots more emotion.

Reba McEntire - If I Were A Boy - Lyrics - YouTube

Beyoncé - If I Were A Boy - YouTube

Old 11-27-2011, 09:18 AM

18,495 posts, read 32,929,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blkgiraffe View Post
I much prefer Whitney's. Whitney's version actually isn't even country. They're both good though. I love Here You Come Again by Dolly!
I know quite a few people who think She ruined the song but I know a lot more who just can't stand Dolly's version. They say it is too slow and anti climactic. It never takes you to the same level.

For Dolly I like 9 to 5, Islands in the stream

Quote:
Another good one is Beyonce vs Reba. Reba killed If I were a boy; lots more emotion.
I like the country version of Irreplaceable, but non was as giant as Beyonce's version tho. That thing stayed at number 1 forever.

Anyone who says Beyonce is not talented is cracked in the head. She is a singer songwriter and has wrote more number one songs than any other female singer/songwriter.

All four of her albums have gone to number 1
She earned 9 number one singles in the 2000's more than any female artist during that time(Rihanna got 6 in 2000's and 5 in the 2010's)
She has the record for most grammys won in one night (yes, more than Lauryn or Alicia)
She has won more Grammys than any other female singer except Aretha. 16 in all.

You may not like her but that combination right there ^^ makes here the most successful female artist of the 2000s.

Old 11-27-2011, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Black artists are actually more into the pop scene these days moreso than R&B and they still are failing.
I agree, and that's what Beyonce' is gearing more towards.

Old 11-27-2011, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBoy205 View Post
I agree, and that's what Beyonce' is gearing more towards.
Beyonce's latest album was more urban than pop. I've never considered Beyonce a pop artist. Her music has always had strong urban elements to it.

Old 11-27-2011, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Beyonce's latest album was more urban than pop. I've never considered Beyonce a pop artist. Her music has always had strong urban elements to it.
I was really talking about her song, "Run the World." That was so Lady Gaga like.

Old 11-27-2011, 12:02 PM

3,160 posts, read 4,365,078 times
Quote:
What makes them more talented??? Beyonce is very talented; her music may suck, but she has talent.

y'all may want to google "singer/songwriter/musicians"

she is a decent singer/dancer/performer, but that really and truly isnt a big deal, those are a dime a dozen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: